1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

You guys really feel steak is that over priced? I think peter luger for 2 is like $100 (before anything else)? it's over priced vs. you cook yourself, but only say 2 to 3 times, not too bad...

p.s. I don't drink much, so that might explains...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

This was a common topic back when SField used to post. I eventually came around to his view.

The point I think is that it's no longer so hard to get top end beef, whereas it used to be that you had to go to a restaurant. Now you can get dry-aged prime at retail without much difficultly. Second, the markup for cooking it (and for staff, facilities, overhead, etc.) may be justified on a strict cost basis (what it costs them to do all that). However, I can pretty easily replicate what they do at home. In fact, two weeks ago, I did: dry aged porterhouse, tasted just as good as any steakhouse. Except my sauce was way better.

So, it's not like they're cheating you. It's just that I can do that myself, just as well if not better, for way less. When I eat out, I prefer to get something I couldn't do, or not as well, or wouldn't have thought of.

3 people like this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

And now that everyone has a sous vide it's pretty easy to get that steak perfect every time.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

... making/finishing a call on Bluetooth ...

5. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

+1

For me, it comes down to intangibles. The chef is using an expertise I don't have to select the menu and prepare the dishes. They are being attractively/artistically presented. At a steakhouse, some guy is grilling a steak and slapping it on a plate.

I am, I suppose, aware that the 20 dollar appetizer I just ate probably consisted of 20 cents worth of ingredients. Yet it doesn't really bother me because it is not something I am capable of reproducing. What I am really paying for is the skill with which it conceived and produced. A baked potato, not so much.

Sadly, I am disappointed with sous vide steaks. While sous vide does allow for incredible consistency, they are much better properly grilled.

6. Piobaire

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Read the whole thing and follow precisely. Make sure the pan is smoking hot and that you've patted the steak completely dry. Perfect crust every single time.

7. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

It's not the crust. I find the flavors in sous vide steaks slightly "washed out". I think this might be because grilled steak loses a lot of moisture (as much as a third of the uncooked weight, IIRC) whereas a sous vide steak loses almost none.

This isn't a huge problem with meat that is going to take a sauce, but for me, it makes a steak eaten by itself kind of disappointing.

8. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

Now this is the kind of weather I can get behind. Don't know how Greg wore his schneider coat at 50 something.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  9. brianoh

brianoh Well-Known Member

Can't get behind them bc the meat comes out on a cold serving plate. It turns cold 3/4 way into the meal.

10. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Agree with this but for one detail. Do you use the technique of searing on cast iron then high temp in the oven? For me living in a highrise without powerful venting to the exterior, the smoke generating cooking steak is too much of a nuisance.

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I don't use cast iron, but I do sear it on the stovetop. However, I have a really good hood. (Finally)

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

That's my favorite thing about sous vide.

The technique you described just destroys my apartment (with a recirculating-built-in-microwave "hood")...or I can put it in a nice calm water bath for a while, and then hit it with a propane torch for pretty good results.

I have a balcony...I've considered getting a little induction pad and using that to do final sears on things outdoors.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Yeah I set off the smoke alarms when I cooked a steak a couple days ago.

It was my best steak to date.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

I need that sous vide. Getting sick of inconsistent meat temps. Did a London broil on cast iron. Had it out of the fridge for a while yet still half the roast was perfect mid rare and the other half was still mooing.

15. brianoh

brianoh Well-Known Member

I recommend Anovas for sous coding. Super easy to use and clean up is next to nothing.

16. Piobaire

Follow the Kenji method and you'll be happy.

17. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

zzzzzzzzz

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  18. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Finally sorted the framing out.

Got in touch with the artist and she gave me the name of her NY framer - Laumont, who are a high-end printing house. Went with dibond as a mounting surface, a simple black maple frame and museum plex for glazing with delivery.

40% less than my highest quote.

lefty

3 people like this.
  19. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

^ this is why we had a car for 4 years in Brooklyn. granted we were fortunate to have a super cheap garage ($160/month), but once you figure out the traffic patterns and where to park in Manhattan things are surprisingly smooth (except for the impromptu UN delegate or parade).

I loved the people watching aspect of the L-Train, and missed it a lot when I started driving and/or riding my bike to work (Williamsburg to midtown or UWS), but once I realized that whole train can be delayed because a woman had a stomach ache and didn't want to get up and walk 10ft get off the train until paramedics arrive :facepalm: I avoided it as much as possible.