1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

I drive everyday to work in a city that's arguably worse than NYC (Boston). Waze haz saved my azz many timez.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Y'all's problem is trying to get in and out of Manhattan in the first place. Live/die here or stay away are the only real options.

3. Darkside

UI looks a little dated, but it's functional and somewhat aesthetic if you go into settings and turn off all the bullshit extras. And don't click on the ads.

4. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

Sinkhole at 5th Ave and 64th Street, Brooklyn.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Strange that there are such varying results with Waze and Google Maps. They're both Google products/companies and Waze feeds into Maps.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  6. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Waze was an independent company before joining google. They've likely kept the Waze team independent.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Let's hope. Google Maps is garbage - really just clickbait for advertising by businesses.

8. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

There are ads? They expect you to look at ads while you drive?

I can barely stomach the settings menu. Mood? Sunflower or Ninja? Fuck off.

What to turn off the make it as lean as possible? Want here-to-there without any bullshit.

lefty

9. Darkside

The Ed Helms voice you experienced was an ad you (probably inadvertently) clicked on, I believe. Just go to My Waze>Settings>and turn off every possibly notification, social media, etc. It's pretty straight forward.

10. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

11. lawyerdad

I just meant "advertising" in the sense of steering you to various local business, either by having their "pins" pop up prominently on the map, or in the listing it gives you dor, say, "pizza nearby"

12. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

It does that? Maybe I've so trained myself to ignore internet ads that I never noticed. I also never look at the screen.

How soon before someone updating road conditions causes an accident? Would you take that case on behalf of the victim's family?

lefty

13. lawyerdad

Eh, I never did plaintiffs' side PI work, so I'm probably not the person to ask.

That said, I don't think it's really a Waze question specifically. There are a million apps and functions where the owners know they're enticing people to type shit on their phones while driving. You think Domino's doesn't realize (and hope) that tons of people will be ordering pizza through their app while driving home? Yes, Waze is more specific to the driving experience, but I'm sure they have some bullshit disclaimer/warning about not actually sending the updates until you're safely pulled over or whatever. The case may be slightly better against them than other apps or the device makers themselves, but my gut reaction is that's a difference of degree, not kind.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  14. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Came to say the same--surprised to see folks are seeing such dramatic differences.

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

"While there will be some minor fluctuations in temperature, a persistent ridge of high pressure will keep the warmth and humidity locked into the East through most of the rest of August."

1 person likes this.
  16. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

It is Summer......

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

2 people like this.
  18. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i think somebody just drowned in the Hudson. Couldn't really tell from so far up.

19. lawyerdad

Did you wait long enough for the cement to set properly?

20. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

well they certainly appeared to be plucking somebody from the river (the presence of ladders and NYPD boats aided this conclusion), and then they sprinted them to an ambulance. Now there's news people out there.