1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

does every single street sweeper have dead batteries due to lack of use?

2 people like this.
  2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

is the E train now officially once per hour?

3. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Officially every 45 minutes, but it is occasionally late

1 person likes this.
  4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I might be taking a new job which is unfortunately located in Meatpacking. That puts me at a 20 minute walk from my current apartment, but also kinda limits where I'd want to move from here.

I suppose I'll be outfitting my steel Bianchi with Fenders, racks, and getting some rain gear.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Also, had a few slices of the Mutton Chop and a good helping of the Porterhouse at Keens and I find both the quality/texture of the meat and flavor to be superior to Lugers. The only thing I preferred on Lugers was the slightly more aggressive sear/char.

The service was quite good, unobtrusive, and the sides were far superior as well. The desserts were passable. 7 of us ate and drank for a total of $650 after tax and tip. Which felt a bit dear until I realized we had several bottles of wine and a number of cocktails.

6. gomestar

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

No, the MTA costs the MTA billions.

The MTR in HK runs at a 40% profit. The MTA runs at a 50% deficit. The MTR has an integrated business model and also manages other metros, but its HK subway/bus/train system turns a profit on its own. The smart thing to do would be to close down the MTA, swallow the pension charges and hand the whole thing over to the MTR to run.

Oh, and Manton, the MTR claims a 99.9% on-time rate. But I doubt they can do anything about the weather, though.

I take that back. MTR stations and trains all have fantastic AC. ;)

8. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

I've only been to HK once in my life. From my short time there, it appears that the trains not underground, rely on trust of people to pay for a ticket right there on the platform rather than having to swipe through a gate. Has this changed?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that this won't work in NY? :confused:

But yes, it is certainly different now. It must have been a while ago since you were there. The trains do run above ground in the outskirts but not in Kowloon or around Central.

And the fare collection system is fantastic. The Octopus card is very similar to the Oyster card. (But I believe the Octopus card was first.) The card has a chip that can be read by a proximity reader. A lot of MTR stations are basically shopping malls -- some are actually in shopping malls -- and you can pay for small purchases by touching your card. Lots of merchants and vending machines that aren't in stations also accept these cards. So the MTR makes, IIRC, 3% off the top on all these sales. These cards really speed people through the gates, too, since there's no card-swiping involved.

I really don't know why the MTA can't implement this technology. Actually, I think I do know. They could, they just can't be bothered.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

No I wasn't suggesting anything, was really just curious. Last time I went was five or six years ago. I knew the service was great, just didn't know they were doing that well.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

MTA can't do it because they need to keep funding outrageous pensions and overtime for putting band-aids of shoddy work. I personally think they were insane to begin the 2nd ave line. Sure, it is nice, but how about getting your current isolated system running top notch and getting your finances in order first?

12. gomestar

so there's this divey bar that I visit every now and then with my 'Burg friends, and after a day of awful meetings I met them there last night. The bar usually has live music, ok beer, and solid drunk food. Apparently they were featured by gothamist as having one of the "10 best burritos in NYC", which explains the odd influx of white men and asian women last night.

Gentrification sucks.

3 people like this.
  13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I fail to see the purpose of a 2nd ave line that ends at 59th street. $2 billion subway to nowhere.

14. patrickBOOTH

I agree. If anything a line from south Brooklyn to Astoria. Or a line where there's development happening for the West Side Yards project to the eastern part of the Upper West Side.

15. gomestar

via Manhattan? I can't see the need otherwise, it'd just be a line to connect Brooklyn people to their poor friends who live in Astoria.

16. patrickBOOTH

It would just be an extension of the G essentially. You've never tried to get to Astoria from Brooklyn? It's a fucking nightmare.

1 person likes this.
  17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I used to take the G to Tip Top in Greenpoint. But after a while I accumulated like 40 pieces of cloth and realized I had gone insane, so I stopped going.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  18. gomestar

I'd just Uber it. It's a cost:pain ratio, and past 8 PM a train would be every 15 minutes and slow. A car would be a couple bucks and far faster.

19. patrickBOOTH

I live a 10 minute walk from there.

20. patrickBOOTH

Well yeah, I take a cab now, but it would be nice if you didn't have to. Also the Williamsburg to Park Slope trip would be easier.