1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

there's been hate, but there's also been solution:

go on twitter and send a tweet complaining to the TWC Support twitter feed. They'll get back to you quickly.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Another solution-use Verizon for your internet if possible. I have TWC only for my cable. I have verizon for my home phone and Internet.

3. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Does this actually help? My TWC service is so bad and didn't improve even when they sent a guy out.

4. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

i switched recently, internet is great. i miss NY1, and verizon on demand sucks. daily show is about a week behind.

did you have to do anything custom with the wiring? i don't think that's an option for me because the single coax cable connecting from outside would only work for one or the other.

5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

The only solution is to drop TWC and get Fios. TWC is TV AIDS.

1 person likes this.
  6. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Only TWC in my building. I would say the internet works 5 hours a week.

7. ter1413

Nothing custom.

TWC has a cable running for my TV. Verizon has a "dual" cable that connects my home phone and internet. When Sandy hit a few years ago, both were never down at the same time. So I was able,to either watch TV or be on the Internet at all times.

8. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yup. If you're nice, theyll frequently give you their personal contact info, and then shit really gets done. They sent a dude out to rewire my whole building the next day once after the folks on the phone told me the next appointment was almost a month out when the first guy totally missed the appointment.

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

But still, fuck em. I switched to FIOS the day after the brought it to the neighborhood.

10. archetypal_yuppie

While you are physically close to everything you could want in NYC, it takes fucking forever to get anywhere >10 blocks or across town, and getting around is a pain in the ass and potentially expensive if you don't want to stand wait for and put up with nasty subways. You get used to it when you live there, but now when I visit it feels annoying and time-consuming.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Walking is a great option

12. gomestar

so is reading the paper and/or a book while on the train. Cars are awful, stupidly expensive, bad for the environment, frustrating (shit drivers everywhere, traffic), and I say this as an active poster and enthusiast in the Cars thread.

they seem pretty good for taking some awful kids to their obligatory soccer practice, though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  13. gomestar

i have my fancy road bike all tuned up and running. where should I go biking? GWB and north is already on my list. Maybe Brooklyn waterfront? West Side highway to Central Park will inevitably happen, just trying to figure out the best way to get from W'Burg to the highway.

14. archetypal_yuppie

Yeah, but takes forever for anything outside your immediate neighborhood.

15. gomestar

it's the same nonsense with a car. Try getting to downtown LA from just about anywhere on a weekday morning. Try Bethesda to DC. When you're done with the headache of the drive and traffic, now you have to figure out a parking situation, and we all know that is never a problem anywhere. A metro card is what, $2.50? I've spent that on gas while looking for parking before.

it takes me about 30-35 mins. to get from the Williamsburg/Bushwick border to my office downtown at the Hudson river. It would take significantly longer in a car, the gas would cost far more than a card swipe, parking would be $29/day or $450/month ... and oh yeah, I'd have to pay for a car. Fuck that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  16. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Way back when when I was in shape, the missus and I would start around The Cloisters, bike down Riverside Dr. then down the West Side (they did not have that bike path back them), then through downtown until around Stuyvesant high school. You could do the reverse.

17. gomestar

cool, odds are I'll end up doing that path a bit. The bike path near Stuy is actually really, really nice.

18. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

i was impressed at this honesty from the verizon rep. contacted them thru twitter and he gave me a chat link to get directly to him.

Verizon Rep(15:03:01): alright setting that up for you now
    Verizon Rep(15:04:06): alright we'll see you tomorrow then - you should also get a text confirmation and email
    Verizon Rep(15:04:19): ****
    Me(15:04:19): got it. thanks
    Verizon Rep(15:04:24): ^that's the ticket number
    Verizon Rep(15:04:29): for ref
    Verizon Rep(15:04:44): if you have any questions between now and then just chat with us using the same link
    Me(15:04:50): ok. thank you
    Verizon Rep(15:04:55): don't call in anymore - we're much more competent than the measly phone reps
    Me(15:05:03): ha!

it's the only way to deal with large organizations (particularly airlines) these days, most seem to have started putting their best reps on twitter so they can deal with lots of people in short time.

1 person likes this.
  19. ter1413

Run over some tourists on the Bk Bridge.....:slayer:

20. ter1413

Because they are afraid that people will put the company on blast!