1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I wonder about how some people rent their places. I know people where like 50% - 60% of their salaries go towards rent. I have only rented one place in NYC, and the scrutiny they inflicted upon me you would have thought I was trying to finance a $50million condo. How the fuck do they even get the keys?

2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Will hit you up next time.

To be fair, I succeeded in squandering some of my money by meeting up with a friend (actually more of my girlfriend's friend) and gettling cocktails (@Wallflower--not my choice) and then beer and snacks @ Spotted Pig. So I was somewhat content to drink a bottle of cava and eat Tunisian takeout at my friend's place while playing GTA V.

Addendum in response to your query: my friend is an assistant professor. I don't know his exact salary, but I'm 100% certain that much more than 50% of his take-home salary goes to his rent. The answer in his case is surely: familial assistance.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Of the 5 or 6 most desirable NYC neighborhoods to live in from my perspective, probably at least 4 are in Brooklyn. Only one or two hoods in Manhattan have an adequate absence of architectural ugliness, noise, and garbage of both human and disposable varieties. I'd consider those to be Tribeca and the West Village, with the UWS not far behind. But even Chelsea and the UES and other expensive neighborhoods are littered with stuff ranging from "Bleh" to "Dear God, why."

But as far as Brooklyn,

1. Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill
    2. Park Slope north of 9th
    3. Fort Greene/Clinton Hill

All are just insanely gorgeous/livable.

1 person likes this.
  4. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Well-Known Member

According to Zillow, the median rent to median income ratio is 39.5, which is mathematically impossible to sustain if landlords are following annual income >= 40x rent.

Humor me, a mid-career IT wiz NYC native living in flyover country with an itch to return to Gotham, what are livable cages going for nowadays?

5. patrickBOOTH

I think foo was talking about buying a place, where they are pretty strict about debt/income levels being at ~30%

6. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

I like my neighborhood :)

7. NickCarraway

Don't landlords want 40x/50x ratios? [​IMG]

I've got both oars in the water looking at jobs in the 'hood *cough* *cough* Google Chelsea *cough* *cough* but I'll be damned if I'm gonna drop that kinda coin to be That Guy On The L.

8. NickCarraway

Dining options in LIC:

1. Domino Sugar
    2. Uhh.....

9. erictheobscure

Actual dining options in LIC:

1. Tournesol for okay bistro fare.
    2. Manducati's Rustica for surprisingly good pizza in an admittedly weird eatery with bad service.
    3. Bella Via for passable pizza in a more pleasant setting.
    4. Tuk Tuk for okay Thai food.

There's also some ramen place re-opening that's supposed to be really quite good. Probably a lot of new places I'm not familiar with since it's been several years since I lived in Queens.

10. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

our kids' hockey team has had a couple of dinners at Manducatis Rustica - I thought it was pretty good - everything was familystyle

we've had some good meals at the orig. Manducatis - Testaccio not so great, but not bad

11. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

What about M Wells in LIC? I have only been to the dinette, not the steakhouse.

12. erictheobscure

^ Does the actual restaurant still exist? I thought that they completely moved their operation to the joint inside PS 1. (I've never made it to any of the locations.)

13. patrickBOOTH

LIC sucks. It has been "up and coming" for like 10 years. It is what I imagine Williamsburg to be after the apocalypse. It's so depressing.

14. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

15. erictheobscure

^ ahh, hadn't heard about the steakhouse. Frankly, it seems like the kind of place that would seem appealing when drunk but that would prove to be a really bad mistake in hindsight.

16. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Ridiculous oversimplification:

A medium sized one bedroom in a "luxury" (not run down) high rise building in a **bad** manhattan neighborhood ($3K) - i.e. midtown east, far north/east UES, lower east side, financial district, etc.

A medium sized one bedroom in a "luxury" (not run down) high rise building in a **good** manhattan neighborhood ($5K) - i.e. village, chelsea, UES/UWS near the park, etc.

Walk-ups, subtract $0-$1K.

Horrible mouse problems, and a gypsy fortune teller on the ground floor, subtract $500.

1 person likes this.
  17. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I'd live in a Cheever-esque suburb.

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

My suburb is awesome, aside from the fact that it is in New York.

And, I totally disagree that once you leave the city, there is nothing less to complain about. As a commuter, I get to enjoy complaining about the city, the burb, the train, and much else.

19. patrickBOOTH

Hmm... True. If I lived where you do I'd definitely complain about property taxes. Dirt cheap in the city, although they get you with the income tax.

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Money wise, you are basically fcuked wherever you go, unless it is Arkansas. It's just how the mix of spending gets you. But, you do get more square feet to a dollar up here. You just then have to deal with the commute.

At my age, it's fine, since I don't want to go out most nights anyway. When I was younger, I liked living in the city.