• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

btw, this is exactly why the US desperately needs a loser-pays rule for torts. They can bankrupt that driver even if he wins the case. Meanwhile, allred will take the thug's case on contingency. He has nothing to lose. She stands to lose some time and money but will in either outcome gain priceless publicity.

The only loser is the driver--whehter he wins or loses. The process IS the punishment.

Completely agreed.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The queen of bottom feeders

btw, this is exactly why the US desperately needs a loser-pays rule for torts. They can bankrupt that driver even if he wins the case. Meanwhile, allred will take the thug's case on contingency. He has nothing to lose. She stands to lose some time and money but will in either outcome gain priceless publicity.

The only loser is the driver--whehter he wins or loses. The process IS the punishment.

There "sort of" is in many states, where a plaintiff is responsible for a defendant's costs if the defendant prevails by judgment in a strictly tort case, but of course legal fees usually aren't included, so it isn't much.

His insurance company certainly won't be paying the rates top-notch defense counsel charge in New York, so he's either coming out of pocket for great counsel or biting the bullet in another sense. Assuming, of course, the insurer provides a defense, even under reservation (given that at least some of the coming tort claims are likely to be intentional rather than negligence).

I learned last night that the driver and his family actually live in my building, which explains all of the press/photographers that have been camped out in front of my building.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

is it too early for a "now he finally has a set of wheels that he can legally use" type of joke?

:)

oh jesus ******* christ

This
The queen of bottom feeders

btw, this is exactly why the US desperately needs a loser-pays rule for torts. .

This is probably a separate thread, and it's not really my area, but I think for this to be effective there would have to be a mandate that at least a portion of the cost-shifting is allocated the plaintiff's lawyer and not just the plaintiff.

There "sort of" is in many states, where a plaintiff is responsible for a defendant's costs if the defendant prevails by judgment in a strictly tort case, but of course legal fees usually aren't included, so it isn't much.

Yes, in most jurisdictions the recoverable costs are so narrowly defined as to make it not even worth attempting to collect them in most cases. Regardless of where one comes down on the policy issue of whether or not moving to a stronger cost-shifting paradigm is desirable, it's pretty clear that such a system would need to include attorneys' fees (which dwarf all other litigation expenses) to make a real difference.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Irrationally excited

W2R7az5.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had no idea how big a deal these things are here. Helpful hint - pull out the rubber bit and clean it once a week. The underside collects a bit of everything that passes through.

lefty

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How'd you swing that? Thought they were illegal here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know a guy who knows a guy.

They're not illegal any longer.

Quote:
Apparently they're such a hot item they get mentioned in RE ads.

lefty

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I always had one until I moved here. Definitely wouldn't mind having one again.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not in NY, but since I didn't have one for the past few years, it counts as a RWNYS.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Is there really that huge an upgrade in quality of life by putting your food scraps down the drain rather than scrape them into a garbage bag and place said bag down the garbage chute?

Just asking is all, since this brother has never had a garbage disposal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
yes

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first time you wake up hungover and try to make eggs, I'd say the difference becomes clear.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads