1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Let's check in again after you have potty trained a child. Or done anything with a child, for that matter.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

don't tell me you're reading this?

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

I like to write, but I do so rarely. I like to read, as well, but interestingly never did when I was in school. It was only on my own free will that I learned how much I truly enjoy it.

4. mgm9128

That's kind of a specious argument. Of course you shit in a pot, but that is something you create an understanding of with children, not the pressure, or fear, of having to shit in a pot.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  5. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I arrived back in NY on Tuesday after a two month absence and I'm already sick. It's amazing how perceptible the humidity and poor air quality are when you experience it freshly.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

This is so true. The other day some idiot who had never been in prison had the audacity to tell me that prison was a terrible place and that he wouldn't be happy there. I told him "you cannot know how happy you would have been under conditions you've never actually experienced" and he immediately retracted his comment and wondered how anyone would ever comment on something they had yet to experience.

7. mcbrown

Yes, it's apparent you never liked reading in school, because your reading comprehension sucks.

My point is that left to their own devices no child will simply learn to read and write on their own, which in turn would prevent them from exercising their free will to read (or not read) later in life. If you value the ability to read now, then you should be thankful that someone forced you to learn how to do it.

So stop blathering on with this pseudo-philosophical drivel already. I don't care how healthy-yet-non-sexual your relationship is with your mother - at some point she pressured you to do something you didn't want to do and you are better off for it today.

8. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

1 person likes this.
  10. mgm9128

I don't see why you need to insult me. Of course children should be taught to read and write. I never said they shouldn't. But pressure or fear never has to enter that equation.

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

:slayer:

12. mgm9128

In all honesty, I can say pretty unequivocally I know I would not have been happy sitting in a cubicle taking phone calls for temperature-control devices 8 hours a day.

13. mcbrown

Alright, I give up.

Back to complaining about New York.

The UN is annoying because diplomats and double-parking and traffic.

14. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I agree. It's the thing that I hate most. And the coming winter season means that I will catch every cold/flu going around. In some weird cosmic karmic ironic way, I was never sick a day in SanFo (aside from my soul that is). God, it seems, has a sense of fucking humour.

lefty

15. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

aka, working

3 people like this.
  16. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Would you rather do that and get paid, or continue cooking but live on the streets and not be able to afford to eat what you cook?

17. mgm9128

Well, I am technically "working" when I cook dinner parties for Deny and her friends. I put in hours, she pays me. The only difference is this is something I actually want to do and enjoy doing for reasons other than monetary compensation.

18. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

The flagrant double parking is awful.

One time saw a guy just ridiculously double parked over there, blocking the whole damn street in his S class with diplomatic plates and just didn't give a damn.

Was thinking about saying something when I walked past him, but then he took off his jacket and had a pistol in a shoulder holster. I didn't say anything. It was like something out of a movie.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Some people, believe it or not get paid very good money to do things they enjoy.

20. mgm9128

I believe that. It's the ideal situation.