1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but to get back to the lobsters: the above is mostly true, but there are 'lobster-in-the-rough' places that are as described minus the greasy surfaces and overwhelming fryolater smells. Nunan's in Cape Porpoise is just about perfect...

http://www.nunanslobsterhut.com/index.html

2. Omar1223

Omar1223 Well-Known Member

i usually have trouble with trees. they always ask me to open the bag with trees in it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I don't have personal experience in this area, but my understanding is that TSA doesn't really care about your trees. Plus, they aren't police and can't detain you. Worst case, you step out of line and go flush your trees.

4. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

In honor of this digression I had lobster rolls for dinner last night. In Portola Valley, CA, of all places:

http://www.oplobster.com/

While they're far from the best I've had, they're pretty decent. The double play is a pretty good deal at $35 for two rolls with fries and slaw.

5. romafan

Is anyone else sick of the R tunnel shutdown yet? When announced it just sounded like tough luck for getting back and forth to Bay Ridge (NYI?), and not really affecting Manhattan service. Wrong! Every day the train stops at Canal and you get the now-dreaded announcement "last stop, this train is out of service. for service to brooklyn go downstairs for the N or Q. for service to lower manhattan take the next R train" Then the train sits there for 5 minutes as a motorman walks through to make sure the train is cleared. he sees everyone steaming on the platform and cheerfully says "another train right behind this one folks" 5 minutes later the train finally pulls out as we stare back the darkened tunnel waiting for the promised imminently-arriving train which crawls in 5 minutes later....

6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i love how the fairly new timetables mean i no longer hear the "step all the way in, if you cannot fit there's a train directly behind us". After all, we know there's not.

7. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

"there is a train directly behind this one" should be included in the Urban Dictionary's definition of "three biggest lies"

3 people like this.
  8. sugarbutch

"We should be getting going here in just a minute." That's popular on BART.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

If I see the entire train is packed and that another one is anywhere under 5 minutes away, I just wait because the next train is relatively deserted due to all the sheep piling into the first train, therefore slowing everything down even more. If I'm going to run a little late I'd rather do so sitting in comfort than packed like a sardine in a tin.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Just landed in Seattle. Sound garden is playing on the radio.

11. sugarbutch

What is this "radio" of which you speak?

12. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Well-Known Member

Most people go back three hours going from East Coast to Seattle. pB apparently went back 19 years.

3 people like this.
  13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

be sure to take the super train. I heard that they plan to play awesome music and serve even better coffee on it.

14. romafan

Is it raining/drizzling? Sun's coming out here - tomorrow is supposed to be the best day of the year

15. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

coincidence?

16. imatlas

Nice reference!

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

18. imatlas

Seattle is the town Portland hopes to be when it grows up.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Never spent any time in Portlandia but I did spend a few months in Seattle around Y2K. I honestly was not that impressed...and I loved grunge and alt music.

20. imatlas

I hear you, bu that's like saying 'I spent some time in San Francisco in the '80s and didn't like it, even though I like hippies and folk rock.'

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013