1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

reasonable amount of money to keep in the bank...

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by thekunk07, Sep 7, 2010.

1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Tough to say, I think it really depends on the person in the hot seat.

If its someone who is self employed and has no possibility of opening an unemployment case than they're going to need more money (probably something in line with PIO's figure).

If it's someone risky like they work under the table for cash or have a head full of steam and often just up and quit their job than they'll need more money.

If it's someone in a normal job that only stands the risk of being 'let go' and would be able to apply for UI and possibly receive a buy-out package than that person would only need the amount required above an beyond what UI would pay.

Right now I think it would be safe to say that you could be unemployed for a year or more depending on your field and your abilities, but I think you could make a financial model for it in any case that would give you a reasonable number. I believe this since I dont think it's reasonable to hoard tons of cash in lieu of the alternatives. I do like Pios Laddered CD strategy for this which would prevent eating away at your nest egg too quickly.

And stay away from the shoe damage threak!!!

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

reasonable amount to keep in mattress?

4. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Enough for a cup of fear.

5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

...at all times? opinions, thoughts, etc.?
    It depends very much on your financial requirements.

I try to keep on hand cash equal to a year's expenses.

6. Superfluous Man

Superfluous Man Well-Known Member

Agree, like most lay financial experts she mixes broad generalization with oversimplification, However: would bang, along with a younger Martha Stewart.

A younger Martha Stewart has a much better chance of banging Suze Orman, DUCY?

OP the answer is it depends.