1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reading: Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by GQgeek, Jan 14, 2008.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I read both equally, though I don't read much fiction as I rarely find anything enticing.

2. freakseam

freakseam Well-Known Member

Mostly Fiction. Perhaps 1 per week, but I can go on streaks of 3-4 per week. This is nice, since I can also be found, for weeks at a time, not reading any book whatsoever. Over the past few years, there's been a bit of a shift towards adding more Non-Fiction. None of this includes audiobooks or trade books. We're talking printed stories, bios, and that sort.

3. Philosoph

Philosoph Well-Known Member

Yes, I see similarities in our current and historical (having to be "cut off" by my parents as a kids) reading habits. My interest in film, however, is nowhere near yours. I also don't let let myself be held back by trivialities concerns like comprehension. I may miss a logical connection here or there, but I make it up on volume.

I am very grateful that my parents never "cut off" my reading. Actually, when I was very small my grandmother thought something was wrong with me because I would sit enthralled while my mom read to me for 3 hours or more at a time. Basically, as long as she would consent to be stuck on the couch.

Unless it's crucial that I carefully follow the logic, I definitely agree with your approach. If it's not clear to me after a read and repeat, I chalk it up to poor writing and move on.

On an unrelated note, last summer my job entailed doing various administrative/secretarial things at a small law firm. Not that busy and often not a whole lot to do, which left plenty of time for reading on the job. I got through about 40 books during the summer. These were only "entertainment"-type reads, but still... not a bad way to earn a paycheck.

4. Maharlika

Maharlika Well-Known Member

It really depends on the writer or the subject. I LOVE books and read anything from Truman Capote to Gustave Flaubert. I think a good question would be: "If you were going to be on an island alone for an entire year and are allowed to bring only five books, what would they be and why"?