• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reading: Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The choices are self-explanatory. Select what you read most. I read non-fiction probably 10:1. Maybe post how many books per year that you read (outside of school if you are a student).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Excluding reading for work and kids' books I read to/with my daughter, a wild guess would be in the 75-150 range. Probably the lower end of that range, but I'm not really sure.

I'm not really sure on the breakdown, maybe 70% fiction, 30% nonfiction, plus (yeah, I know, the math doesn't work) a fairly small amount of poetry and a random assortment of magazines, newspapers, etc.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Fiction about 20:1, excluding work crap. I read to relax and escape...same reason I drink
smile.gif
Probably read 1.5 books a week.

Bogie

Reaction score
I can't say that I prefer either. I have equals amounts. If I want to learn I read nonfiction. If I want to be entertained I read fiction. Sometimes there's crossover.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'd say I read probably 60 nonfiction a year, and maybe 20 fiction. Fiction I really enjoy sticking to classics, but also enjoy reading crazy conspiracy theory stuff like Dan Brown.

Nonfiction is by far my favorite. You can almost always find me with a book about History, Christianity (not really a full believer, but the history of the religion fascinates me), a biography/autobiography, anything like that.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I alternate between literature and philosophy, so 1:1. I prefer comic books and Appreciation for my "easy" reading.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to read maybe 150 books a year, then I got a tv, a wife and 3 kids. now I read maybe 25-40. 10 at least are sales/marketing/managment related. almost all the others are non-fiction. maybe twice a year I read a novel, usually mystory or sci-fi.

recently, I was on vacation for 2 weeks, so I decided to work at reading crap. when I was a kid, I was into pulp westerns and john d mcdonald stuff, so I found on ebay a complete travis mcgee set and a set of 45 books from a crappy pulp western series, and bought them for about $1 a book with the express intent of having some crap to read on vacation. I have to say I enjoyed it.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently reading the first non-fiction book I've read in many many many years outside of school. As Piobaire says, I read for escape. The last thing I need is reality butting in its ugly head.

That said, I go through probably 20 books a year

b

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
75-150? Man, that's a lot of reading. At the low end that's more than a book per week.

I read for work, which has had a negative effect on my reading at home. I'd say I read about 20-25 books per year, with an 90/10 split of novels to nonfiction.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I 'should' read more fiction, but non- just seems more practical. I'm planning to re-read Macbeth soon though, because Patrick Stewart will be doing it in Brooklyn next month. So even my fiction choices are practical.
confused.gif

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read a ton at work, magazines, white papers, legal stuff, so that really cuts into my leisure reading.

I'm 90% non-fiction. Start 50 books/year, finish maybe half that.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
75-150? Man, that's a lot of reading. At the low end that's more than a book per week.

I read for work, which has had a negative effect on my reading at home. I'd say I read about 20-25 books per year, with an 90/10 split of novels to nonfiction.

Other than a bit of sports and stuff I watch with my daughter, I don't really watch tv, which frees up a lot of time. I usually have a couple of books going at once -- some relatively serious piece of non-fiction, maybe a longer "literary" novel, and some lighter fiction (thrillers, detective novels, etc.) What I pick up at a particular moment depends on my mood, my energy level, whether I actually have some real quiet time or will be reading while supervising a playdate, etc. The more serious stuff takes me longer to get through, but the lighter stuff I read for relatively mindless escapism (e.g., Harlan Coben, John Sandford, Donna Leon, Ian Rankin, stuff like that) usually takes me only a couple of days to plow through.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Other than a bit of sports and stuff I watch with my daughter, I don't really watch tv, which frees up a lot of time. I usually have a couple of books going at once -- some relatively serious piece of non-fiction, maybe a longer "literary" novel, and some lighter fiction (thrillers, detective novels, etc.) What I pick up at a particular moment depends on my mood, my energy level, whether I actually have some real quiet time or will be reading while supervising a playdate, etc. The more serious stuff takes me longer to get through, but the lighter stuff I read for relatively mindless escapism (e.g., Harlan Coben, John Sandford, Donna Leon, Ian Rankin, stuff like that) usually takes me only a couple of days to plow through.

It seems we do share some reading/viewing habits. I NEVER watch tv (its not even functional) and haven't for yrs but on the other hand I see a lot of movies. I also routinely have a couple of books going at once, alternating between fiction, non-fiction (I could argue the diff between fiction and n-f are only a matter of degree) and art books. Right now I'm reading a series of novels by Delacorta (I guess thrillers but with a strong epicurean bent), a book on philosophy (aesthetics) and a couple of art books (surrealism, contemporary design, photography by Chris Marker, Dührer). Judging by comparison (school, etc) I'd say I read exceptionally fast but don't really practice special reading techniques. I will also re-read stuff and take my time when I feel like it. When George Bataille tries to tell me that sacrifice is at the core of "the celebration" which stands as an affirmation of discontinuity I tend to re-read the ******* chapter because I'm not cocky enough to think he's easily understandable with a quick glance.

When I was a kid I had this extreme fascination with reading where I'd spend days doing that it all time (say 16 hrs/day) and wouldn't stop if my parents didn't enforce some kind of rule. I'd go through everything, from comics to Umberto Eco.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
To answer the OP's question I probably go through 2-4 books/week but some of those can be somewhat succint in their approach. I'd say 50/50 (fiction/everything else).

My next reads:

-Some vintage mags about the algerian war
-Last month's Le monde diplomatique that I forgot about
-Japanese girl comics, I love those with a lot of romance and rivalries
-The rise and fall of RNJ Nabisco (sp) (gave up on it cause the characters were too caricatural and the writing weak, story is pretty good though so i'll finish it)
-Some Hegel
-Philippe Noiret autobiography
-Gaudi's complete works
-analysis of Goya's black paintings
-Non-places (anthropology)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads