1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ray-Ban Wayfarer

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TylerK, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Suits You Sir!

Suits You Sir! Well-Known Member

Wayfarers?! Gimme strength. Went out with the dinosaurs.

2. redgrail

redgrail Well-Known Member

Since I got a couple of PMs asking for deets on my glasses, I figured I'd just post them here:
    They're "Original Wayfarers", product code: RB2140 (that's the original 50s style ones, not the 80s ones) with glossy black frame and grey lenses. Original case and cleaning cloth comes with. Minor scrape on button of case. Paid $130 new, worn maybe 5 times, minor scrape on the case like I said, but glasses in like new condition. Looking for ~100. Just trying to minimize losses and get some money to get some other sunglasses that will look more acceptable in my relatively preppy environment. Not much of a rebel, I guess..[​IMG]
    I'll put up a thread in B&S when I get my act together and manage to take some pics. Feel free to PM me though.

3. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Well-Known Member

4. redgrail

Hey, I have an idea. Post something worthwhile for once. I'm just dying to see what's hiding behind that facade.

When you tear down the curtain - is there really a wizard behind there, or just some guy named Oscar?

5. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Since I got a couple of PMs asking for deets on my glasses, I figured I'd just post them here: They're "Original Wayfarers", product code: RB2140 (that's the original 50s style ones, not the 80s ones) with glossy black frame and grey lenses. Original case and cleaning cloth comes with. Minor scrape on button of case. Paid $130 new, worn maybe 5 times, minor scrape on the case like I said, but glasses in like new condition. Looking for ~100. Just trying to minimize losses and get some money to get some other sunglasses that will look more acceptable in my relatively preppy environment. Not much of a rebel, I guess..[​IMG] I'll put up a thread in B&S when I get my act together and manage to take some pics. Feel free to PM me though.
    They can be found new for $90. http://sunglasses-express.stores.yah...banrbwaii.html I'd really like the tortoise though I think since I have a similar pair in black already. Looking on ebay, how can I tell if the wayfarers are the 50s or the 80s version? Seems the original 50s vintage are the B&L 5022 and the 80s is the B&L 5024 but this is only the lens I think? None of the ebay auctions list any other model number to tell which is which.

6. redgrail

That's a good deal. I bought them this summer for 130 from a brick-and-mortar store here. But hey, I'm just a guy with sunglasses that didn't work out, not a store and clearly not doing this for profit. Send me an offer if you want them. Or just wait until I put something on B&S.
    Otherwise, let's stop spamming up the thread.

7. grunhauser

grunhauser Well-Known Member

Never met a Wayfarer wearer I really liked. All seemed to be sad bastards who were desperately hanging on to some smelly past.
    And the new trend! It is nothing but a Luxottica funded campaign to sell cheap, made in China reproductions to unsuspecting youth.

8. tiecollector

9. bant

bant Well-Known Member

a luxottica funded campaign? what an outrageous accusation. i demand to see your source of such information!

surely the owners of such a classic can't be blamed for producing this model, no?

10. tiecollector

Trying to find some on ebay and none of them look like the originals that Audrey Hepburn wore:

[​IMG]

They all look to be more like the ones Tom Cruise wore in Risky Business.

[​IMG]

11. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

Trying to find some on ebay and none of them look like the originals that Audrey Hepburn wore:

[​IMG]

They all look to be more like the ones Tom Cruise wore in Risky Business.

[​IMG]

^ A ploy of Scientology perhaps. Damn you, L. Ron!

12. Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Nico Samuel Pleninsek Well-Known Member

Never met a Wayfarer wearer I really liked. All seemed to be sad bastards who were desperately hanging on to some smelly past.
    And the new trend! It is nothing but a Luxottica funded campaign to sell cheap, made in China reproductions to unsuspecting youth.

Luxottica makes the Wayfarer in Italy. Everything comes in vogue during some point in time and then out and eventually back in. Ruling out an article of clothing is rather childish I say, because many things can come off looking nice with the right clothing combinations.

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

With all the glorious frame designs it's a shame to pick something so heinous.

14. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Comeback? They've been on the comeback track since a year ago.

Let them die a slow painful death.

With all the glorious frame designs it's a shame to pick something so heinous.

It is quite a stretch to say Wayfarers are heinous just because your face is too... hmmm... round for them, no? [​IMG]

15. jet

jet Well-Known Member

You guys can step your game up instead of wearing the chuck taylor of sunglasses. But they're classic right? [​IMG]

16. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

I have something in a more toned down and better look from Cutler & Gross of London.

17. jet

jet Well-Known Member

^Useless.without.pics.

18. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

^Useless.without.pics.

The guy from Bergdorf put them in an Oliver Goldsmith box.

[​IMG]

They are my Thom Browne sunglasses.

19. robin

robin Well-Known Member

20. jet

jet Well-Known Member

The guy from Bergdorf put them in an Oliver Goldsmith box.

They are my Thom Browne sunglasses.

You're still not gonna see my jil stuffs.

Robin why you sellin the shawl? Nm clicked your link.