• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate your city: why you love it or lump it.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spending the last three months on the Canadian east coast has made me reconsider how much I enjoy being a Torontonian. Compared to the big city, life on Prince Edward Island has been a virtual 180: the pacing, the sense of community, the access to nature, the free time. While not every change has been positive, I've been entertaining serious second thoughts about how many more years of my life I'd like to spend in the T.Dot. For the record, I've lived there for the last 23 years of my life.

So how do you feel about where you live? What makes you like/hate it? How would you rate life in your city/town/village/tribe?

I'll start:

Hometown: TORONTO - Overall Rating: 6

PROS: Culturally diverse, dynamic (lots of things to do), interesting ethnic communities, access to tons and tons of resources, strong artistic community, decent public transit, get to experience all four seasons, great architecture, some great food

CONS: Massively heterogenous (too many strangers, too much apathy), unforgivably unsophisticated (VERY few tasteful cafes, eateries, restaurants, etc. that are not gawdy) expensive (both real estate and commodities), lack of community feel, sprawling (everything is far), lack of nature, no access to a real beach, muggy summers, hectic pacing (miserable post-workday faces on the subway).

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
Hometown: Chicago - Overall Rating: 9

PROS: Abundant entertainment options, great public transportation (for my uses, anyway), good employment opportunities, beaches and parks, sports teams, always something going on, decent home prices.

CONS: Tourists and the suburbanites (note: I don't consider all suburbanites bad, just the clueless ones), segregated communities (north vs south), not really on the cutting edge of anything (fashion, arts, etc..), not exactly a mecca of fitness, taxes are close to (if not, the) highest in the country.

I'm sure there's more, that was just off the top of my head.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Ottawa, Ontario: 3

So much wrong with this place once you've seen what a REAL city is like.

Pros: ...

Cons: Close to Quebec, nothing to do, no downtown core, never a good temperature; either too hot or too cold, bus is expensive as hell.

surrender

Reaction score
Hometown: Houston - Rating: 6

The good: Dirt cheap, top notch cultural activities (theater, symphony, ballet, opera, museums, sporting events, etc), very diverse, great and affordable food, better music scene than most people think, lots of parks, attractive women

The bad: Nonexistent public transit, endless urban sprawl, suffocating summer weather, terrible shopping, disgusting joke of a beach, unattractive women (in the suburbs), pretentious LA-wannabe nightlife

The ugly: Everything

I have a love/hate relationship with this place. There are so many great things about this city, but after visiting other world-class cities, the flaws (transit and sprawl) become much more evident

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walnut Creek, CA - 8/9

Pros:
Bay Area location hard to beat for access to any kind of food, entertainment, activities
Beautiful weather
Surrounded by public open space, hills and trails
Hundreds of places to eat
No shortage of attractive women
Nice downtown area
Safe neighborhoods
Decent public schools
People are generally nice and respectful of each other
Easy public transportation (BART, free downtown buses) and public parking
Plenty of music and theater

Cons:
Expensive housing market (even now)
Concerns about the overall direction of CA (taxes, less services)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 is best or worst?

Stavros

Reaction score
Seattle, WA - Rating: 5 The good: fairly multi-cultural, strong local (NW) cuisine + decent ethnic cuisine, excellent seafood, abundant waterfront resulting in affordable waterfront housing, decent ski resorts within 2-hr drive, hiking/backpacking paradise, excellent hospitals, strong university (UW), dense public transit system, 2.5-hr drive to Vancouver BC. The bad: rain (lots of it), people are not very outgoing (because of the rain mostly), not much opportunity for outdoor activities except in summer (again because of the rain), sartorially dissapointing (and hopeless), too politically correct/green, bad drivers, ugly bars/clubs with even uglier crowds, small proportion of women being actually feminine. Overall: Affordable, livable but you won't be happy here unless you fit one of the several typical "NW profiles": http://www.werealotlikeyou.com/

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Palo Alto, CA- 8

Pros:
Beautiful neighborhoods
Close to San Jose/SF and other nice towns
So many places to eat at
Lots of diversity (in the surrounding areas)
Excellent three season weather
Nature and **** is awesome out here
You can get almost anything

Cons
Expensive real eastate prices
California is in shambles economically
Nightlife is meh, everything closes somewhat early
Girls aren't really that good looking, but maybe it is because I had this crazy notion of hotness in my head
No good sandwiches

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
San Gabriel Valley, CA

Pros:
-Right by L.A
-Blooming Asian businesses/culture
-Great schools/housing
-SoCal Weather

Cons:
-Right by L.A
-Blooming Asian businesses/culture
-Expensive to live in.
-It's the mother ******* 'burbs, thereby boring as ****.

flashback

Reaction score
Current City: LA - 8

poor public transportation, bad traffic and nowhere to ******* park. Occasionally it gets too hot. Other than that, I think its a wonderful place. My favorite thing about it is the vibe... here any night of the week that I feel like doing something, whether going out to eat or going to a show or going out to a bar or club, I am assured to find someone that is up for it, regardless of if they have to work the next day or not. That didn't seem to be the case in other places I have spent time in. Plus the beach is close, mountains to go hiking in are close, you have other gorgeous cities like Santa Barbara & San Diego both within 2 hour drives. Most people have some money here and are willing to spend it. It makes for a fun lifestyle.

Hometown: Detroit Suburbs - 5

terrible economy and a general sense of gloom & doom, also no real public transportation and there aren't enough interesting & unique places for nightlife activities IMO. Good music & art scene. People are generally good & grounded; down-to-earth. The area feels very comfortable, although it needs help. Can produce some very small-minded people without much knowledge of the world outside of Michigan.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
West Palm Beach, FL - 3

Pros:

THE WEATHER!
The Beaches
The Weather

Cons:

The people suck
Overwhelmed with old people
No culture
No intelligence in the populus - the median IQ seems to be in the double digits
The people suck
Most of the food sucks
Nothing much to do other than go to the mall, movies, or clubs
No real public transportation = have to drive everywhere
The old people are allowed to drive
The people suck

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hometown- Annapolis, MD

Pros-
Downtown nightlife is not too bad
Nice weather most of the year
Not far from DC
Far enough away from Baltimore
Still keeps a cool small-town feel
Beautiful historic district
Mostly nice people

Cons-
Winters are somewhat cold
Gets crowded with tourists in the summer/on weekends
Somewhat expensive

clbm

Reaction score
Winnipeg - 2

no real explanation necessary

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
The bad: rain (lots of it), people are not very outgoing (because of the rain mostly), not much opportunity for outdoor activities except in summer (again because of the rain)
It's a myth. It doesn't really rain that much here. Unless what you mean by rain is "there are clouds in the sky". Seattle gets on average 37.07 inches of rain a year, and 150 something days of "rain". Which is usually nothing more than a light misting. It's not even in the top 20 rainiest cities in the U.S. Indianapolis Baltimore Philadelphia Boston Charlotte Louisville Houston Nashville New York Atlanta Jacksonville Memphis all get quite a bit more rain than Seattle, just for reference. Seattle *IS* eternally 'partially cloudy'. But that doesn't stop anyone from doing anything outdoors.
Overall: Affordable, livable but you won't be happy here unless you fit one of the several typical "NW profiles": http://www.werealotlikeyou.com/
I'd say that it was less affordable than you'd make it out to be, and while I'm sure we all know someone who fits into one of the stereotypes in that ad campaign (The four way stop guy is me. Sorry!) There are a lot of things to do in this city, both indoors and out, and you don't have to be a socks with birkenstocks guy to like living here.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
Seattle, WA - Rating: 5

The good: fairly multi-cultural, strong local (NW) cuisine + decent ethnic cuisine, excellent seafood, abundant waterfront resulting in affordable waterfront housing, decent ski resorts within 2-hr drive, hiking/backpacking paradise, excellent hospitals, strong university (UW), dense public transit system, 2.5-hr drive to Vancouver BC.

The bad: rain (lots of it), people are not very outgoing (because of the rain mostly), not much opportunity for outdoor activities except in summer (again because of the rain), sartorially dissapointing (and hopeless), too politically correct/green, bad drivers, ugly bars/clubs with even uglier crowds, small proportion of women being actually feminine.

Overall: Affordable, livable but you won't be happy here unless you fit one of the several typical "NW profiles":

http://www.werealotlikeyou.com/

This is mostly bullshit but if it will keep people out of Seattle then I'm all for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads