1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

How's your diet otherwise? Are you getting enough calories in? I'm basically under 100g also on pretty much all the time except for a few carb-ups per month.

If I'm cutting heavily I tend to get cold, but other than that can't think of any reason, so I'm a bit useless here... maybe it's b/c you have less insulation? [​IMG]

2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

I'm eating right around maintenance... maybe I need to bump up the calories a bit. My cuts have really started popping out lately, so it is possible that I am not getting enough calories although I haven't lost strength.

3. APK

APK Well-Known Member

I returned to a strength program for the first time in two years today. I forgot how much I enjoyed them.

I'm interested to see how quickly I can match and surpass the numbers I was putting up then when I was lifting heavier, but also pretty chunky. First go through was promising as I hit a PR for the squat.

Also switching over to a mostly meat and greens diet for a couple of weeks. I've found myself a little to reliant on whey and I was eating a stupidly low amount of veggies for someone who's cutting.

4. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

I'm so bad about eating veggies, I just drink 'em now. The Ultimate Meal is pretty much the end-all for veggies for me. Gotta follow the instructions, tho - add banana & apple - or it'll give you the gag reflex. It's about as veggie tasting as you can get.

5. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Do I have wrong form if my forearms are sore after cleans?

Also saw a dude with the same outfit as me today. VFF, leggings, shorts, t-shirt. Except I've been wearing this for way longer. At least year+. Shame on you copy cats.[​IMG]

I think that's the correct way to use tinfoil

6. bob99

bob99 Well-Known Member

Finally back to the gym, and it feels great. In the past two weeks I moved across the country to start a new job with almost zero notice, so it was basically a wash for exercising and healthy eating.

Now I'm back in action, and it feels great. Plus, I want to make sure I'm able to fit into the new jeans I just bought!

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I'm eating right around maintenance... maybe I need to bump up the calories a bit. My cuts have really started popping out lately, so it is possible that I am not getting enough calories although I haven't lost strength.
    Conversation i have all the time: >"I'm cold" >"that's because you don't have any fat on you" >[​IMG] (mfw) speaking of, /fit/ could be great if it didn't suck so badly.

8. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Do I have wrong form if my forearms are sore after cleans?

anyone?

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

I don't see how /fit/ can be anything other than /fit/. The format creates the forum.

10. slack tide

slack tide Well-Known Member

Pull ups are the king of all exercises. If I had to choose between one piece of equipment -- anything -- it would be a pull up bar. Plain and simple. Throughout the past 18 months of cardio and lifting weights, I've never experienced the gains I've noticed after just one month of doing regular pull ups. Wide grip, close grip, reverse, chin ups, behind the neck, etc -- all of the different grips and forms. It is a true test of strength. Working to muscle fatigue/completion exhaustion, every time.

The only issue is increased size of your back. A good thing for muscle and posture -- a bad thing for clothing fits (if you already keep your look "snug" to the body). I've experienced it in my lats with some of my smaller P to P shirts. Regardless, I'll take the nice lats over squeezing into some BoO BS.

Don't listen to reports of the military pulling this exercise from training regiments. The only reason some departments did were due to "reoccurring injuries". The reoccurring injuries were traced to cadets jumping on the bar, and stubbing their fingers. Nothing tied to long term bone/joint health issues. Just stubbed fingers.

This is the schedule I have been following. This is intense. (borrowed from another board):

I am thinking of quitting my gym and taking my cardio to the streets. Then using pullups and pushups as my primary strength training. And of course a healthy diet. I also want to read this book by Charles Bronson (not the real Charles Bronson) - "Solitary Fitness".
    [​IMG]

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Actually my problem with /fit/ is pretty much the Tripfags (tiny, zzyzz in particular). Otherwise it'd be random questions/discussions/"alpha as fuck" stories that refresh constantly.

12. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

There was a kid at my gym today. Walks in with a sweatband on his head, big energy drink, tiedye towel around his neck, orange Nike high tops. Walks up to the weight rack picks up an 8 lb dumbell sits on a bench and starts to fucking roar as he curls it, not just gruting a bit, he was fucking screaming. After a couple reps he's pissing sweat so he goes to the bench press machine sets it to the lowest weight which is about 15lb and does the same thing for a couple reps and then leaves looking absolutely exausted and a really angry expression on his face. He was my age so maybe 16 or 17. He wasn't even fat or anything I guess he was just really weak. I had to stop working out just to watch. It was the funniest thing I've seen in s while.

13. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

The only issue is increased size of your back. A good thing for muscle and posture -- a bad thing for clothing fits (if you already keep your look "snug" to the body). I've experienced it in my lats with some of my smaller P to P shirts. Regardless, I'll take the nice lats over squeezing into some BoO BS.

They're too fucking effective. My lats have grown during light cuts. I've switched to underhand narrow grips to try and remove as much strain on my back as possible until the rest of me has caught up. I may end up just doing rows at this rate.

14. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Started the final third of my cut yesterday and I'm really pulling in the reigns. Naturally, my mom made a pan of brownies for some get together that wasn't well attended, so there's half a pan left. Heading to the gym, but not before ensuring the pan is a bit below "half full." [​IMG]

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Sometimes I read this stuff and wonder do these folks really exist... I mean, one wouldn't be surprised if the university campus weight rooms were full of clueless ppl when it comes to lifting... not commercial gyms.

16. slack tide

Do you mind me asking what both your goals are? Just in a nut shell, for time purposes.

My story is that I went to college in the 2000-2004 time frame. Gained the freshman 20 by the time I got out. Was smoking and drinking a lot. Feeling very apathetic. Unattractive. Low self confidence, etc.

I then quit smoking and decided to join the gym to ward off those additional pounds that quitting smoking can add. I kind of over did it at this point, and dropped my weight drastically. I became quite slight and still am.

I am now in the process of trying to rebuild, somewhat from scratch, being I have a low body fat percentage as is. Just kind of a blank canvas -- not a bad position to be in, granted.

But I am currently 130 lbs (5'8"). I want to increase my body weight to 145 lbs while keeping my body fat % under ten percent.

So I have been doing a lot of experiments with diet, cardio, and weight training. It's not fair to ask for your "goals" when I can hardly define my own -- but figured you may have a better answer than me..

17. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

Sometimes I read this stuff and wonder do these folks really exist... I mean, one wouldn't be surprised if the university campus weight rooms were full of clueless ppl when it comes to lifting... not commercial gyms.

The campus gym at A&M is full of generally jacked dudes. We're talking a good 10-15% are HUGE, and at least 25-30% are in good physical shape.

18. slack tide

The gym I frequent in Virginia is chalked full of real, honest to god athletes. All built to the heavens. Guys and girls both. It has a very high turn over rate of people coming in, getting intimidated, and never returning. I was almost one.

I consider myself in good shape -- but still in the bottom 40% of members in terms of overall fitness, I would venture to guess.

There are areas of the gym I still won't step foot in because I feel inferior.

There are a lot of nice people though (non employees) who will stop and talk to you if they feel they can help with form, or something the like.

This is a commercial gym..

19. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

But I am currently 130 lbs (5'8"). I want to increase my body weight to 145 lbs while keeping my body fat % under ten percent. So I have been doing a lot of experiments with diet, cardio, and weight training. It's not fair to ask for your "goals" when I can hardly define my own -- but figured you may have a better answer than me..
    I'm working on improving my strength and conditioning for boxing, as well as getting the physique I'm looking for. I'm 5'11 158lbs right now. I fought at 141 almost a year ago, but couldn't cut that hard now. I'll probably fight at 152 in January and hopefully move up to 165 by this time next year, but that would involve me putting on a ton of muscle. Edit: I maintained weight during freshman year, but had quit boxing by then and wasn't in great shape by the time I picked boxing back up recently.

20. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

There was a kid at my gym today. Walks in with a sweatband on his head, big energy drink, tiedye towel around his neck, orange Nike high tops. Walks up to the weight rack picks up an 8 lb dumbell sits on a bench and starts to fucking roar as he curls it, not just gruting a bit, he was fucking screaming. After a couple reps he's pissing sweat so he goes to the bench press machine sets it to the lowest weight which is about 15lb and does the same thing for a couple reps and then leaves looking absolutely exausted and a really angry expression on his face. He was my age so maybe 16 or 17. He wasn't even fat or anything I guess he was just really weak. I had to stop working out just to watch. It was the funniest thing I've seen in s while.

Same thing happened awhile ago at my gym. Some kid comes in dressed like a gangster and giving dirty eyes to everyone, grabs a 25lb barbell and starts fucking jerking it. Like, he's doing a standing incline bench press at a very very very fast tempo, literally throwing the bar out at a 45 degree angle in front of his face and slamming it back into his chest while screaming. Awesome.