1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

that's better. You'll get some great gains if you concentrate on form.

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i love doing cleans. makes me feel so manly

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

My bench has been increasing 5lb a day for the last week. I've increased by 35lb on my bench just this week alone. Weird bit is unless I drink the creatine before I work out I really can't get barely any reps out. If I drink it before hand I can do 5 sets of 10 at 170, but if I don't I can only get about 3 reps at 160 out. I'm guessing thats not normal.

A couple of additional thoughts- you're not lifting to failure; you're probably not that familiar with what your rep max's really are. If I am off base, apologies; however, your response sounds like you probably could have increased your lift by ~30 over what you have been doing.

By the way, you're not benching every day are you?

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

The one negative I have found with Wendler531 is that I feel as if I am falling out of practice with my squats as one only squats once a week. I am going to work on correcting that next week (deload week). I also experience DOMS after squat Fridays when I never had DOMS after 5x5 squats.

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Started a 5/3/1 journal on bb.com. The idea of an online workout journal really appeals to me, as I always have thoughts that I wished i wrote down every workout but I never found the right venue.

6. Cary Grant

Switched this week to a total body/depletion circuit... first time in years... man was I gassed at the end of two circuits.

[​IMG]

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Switched this week to a total body/depletion circuit... first time in years... man was I gassed at the end of two circuits.

Depletion work is BRUTAL, no doubt. I've done a couple of whole-body depletion workouts, and I gotta say... getting those last 3 reps of that 15 rep set was horrible, then and only then does it hit you... you have 45 seconds to rest your laurels and THREE more sets to go.

8. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

What are the advantages to lifting freeweights vs. using machines?

i.e dumbell flys vs. pec dec

or squats vs. leg press machine?

9. Lagrangian

What are the advantages to lifting freeweights vs. using machines?

i.e dumbell flys vs. pec dec

or squats vs. leg press machine?

Using free weights and especially big compound movements force you to utilize other muscles as well, as opposed to just isolating a single muscle or bodypart on a machine. Core muscles get a lot of work on the big three (bench, deads, squats), b/c of the stabilization.

That being said, machines do have their place. For instance, it's quite hard for tall people to squat deep w/ good technique, so the leg press might be preferred. In the end, we're all built differently, it's just a matter of finding out what works and what doesn't for your frame and build.

Heavy compounds get a lot of press, so to speak, mainly b/c:
    • They activate a lot of muscles (hence, compound movement)
    • They stress the CNS (build strength)
    • Combined with the right diet, are one of the fastest ways to put on muscle (SS, 5x5, various programs)

And last, but not least, heaving heavy-ass weights around is good fun.

10. Cary Grant

Using free weights and especially big compound movements force you to utilize other muscles as well, as opposed to just isolating a single muscle or bodypart on a machine. Core muscles get a lot of work on the big three (bench, deads, squats), b/c of the stabilization.

That being said, machines do have their place, for instance, it's quite hard for tall people to squat deep w/ good technique, so the leg press might be preferred. In the end, we're all built differently, it's just a matter of finding out what works and what doesn't for your frame and build.

Heavy compounds get a lot of press, so to speak, mainly b/c:
    • They activate a lot of muscles (hence, compound movement)
    • They stress the CNS (build strength)
    • Combined with the right diet, are one of the fastest ways to put on muscle (SS, 5x5, various programs)

And last, but not least, heaving heavy-ass weights around is good fun.

Excellent response.

11. Cary Grant

Depletion work is BRUTAL, no doubt. I've done a couple of whole-body depletion workouts, and I gotta say... getting those last 3 reps of that 15 rep set was horrible, then and only then does it hit you... you have 45 seconds to rest your laurels and THREE more sets to go.

Absolutely... I mean, seriously, ever felt like tossing cookies DOING BICEP CURLS? Just about got there last night [​IMG]

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

stiff legged deadlifts work out the lower back, no?

i google it and all it talks about is how it works out the legs and hamstrings.

i dont want to do regular deaflifts because they are too similar to squats. i want something to narrow down my lower back mass and add definition for that nice shape from the rear.

13. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

stiff legged deadlifts work out the lower back, no?

i google it and all it talks about is how it works out the legs and hamstrings.

i dont want to do regular deaflifts because they are too similar to squats. i want something to narrow down my lower back mass and add definition for that nice shape from the rear.

no no no.

stiff leg deadlifts primarily work hamstrings. Lower back too, but the hamstrings are the focus.

Regular deadlifts are not like squats. They workout lower back mainly, but also all the upper back as well as glutes.

neither will "narrow you lower back mass" at all. That will only come from losing weight.

Regular deadlifts is what you want to do.

14. sho'nuff

ok thanks. but i have been doing some stiff legged, and i can feel a good burn and rock-hardedness on my erectors spinae after doing them though. perhaps at least a minimum?

15. AndyMcL

AndyMcL Well-Known Member

ok thanks. but i have been doing some stiff legged, and i can feel a good burn and rock-hardedness on my erectors spinae after doing them though. perhaps at least a minimum?
    They definitely work your lower back, but not as well as traditional deadlifts. The reasoning there is that with regular deadlifts you can load on a lot more weight and have a larger range of motion, so it's going to stress your muscles more.

16. Cary Grant

You may be keeping your legs perfectly straight. A very slight bend in the knees helps to focus it in the hams, where you should feel it pull (and also reduce the strain on your back).

17. sho'nuff

18. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Boner inducing.

19. Lagrangian

Added in front squats to my program, my legs are officially jellified now. Did my normal back squats, finishing w/ 6 x 230lbs - then stripped the plates down to 155lbs and pushed out 3 x 8 clean grip front squats. Why? Because I just felt like it.

I don't feel like walking up any stairs anytime soon, thats for damn sure. [​IMG]

As for the SLDL/stiff leg DL thing, I think Exrx has a couple of examples where the movement is done so that the lower back works dynamically (flexes through full ROM, not just isometric stabilization). I've always regarded those variations of the DL as hamstring exercises, so I don't really know whether they hit the lower back any harder. If you're looking for that nice lat taper/definition... I'm afraid it's just a matter of dropping the bodyfat.

Being men, we do have that slight inconvenience that the lower back seems to be about the very last place the fat comes off from (due to the beta-2 receptors or something?). Stubborn fat is stubborn.

20. Cary Grant

^^ Yup. And of course, you need to have lats [​IMG]
    I see a lot of guys crying about a lack of v-tap even when lean... then you point out to them they have no lat mass whatsoever. [​IMG]