1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. speedy4500

speedy4500 Well-Known Member

Do these effects show when you just do a one-off binge or does it need to be on the semi-regular weekly/bi-weekly?

Also does it have to be done with a sustained reduced calorie diet or can I do this on a maintenance-calorie IF diet?

I am tempted to try it just to eat everything in sight.

For me, at least, I gorge for a week or so, then back to maintenance/normal (3500/day for me). After 14 days or so on normal diet, it kind of loses the effect and I'm pretty much steady state until I do it again. But almost without fail, around a week after eating like a pig, I'll have some of my best lifting days ever... and these aren't beginner gains.

I think someone posted a link a while back about something called leptin which is why binging like this works. Essentially, you rev up your metabolism by binging, and then by stopping and going back to normal (or below maintenance) levels, your body will seek to continue burning a huge amount of calories but will have to look to bodyfat to keep it up since your food intake is suddenly a lot less. But during that binge, if you keep lifting, you have a ton of extra calories your body can use to build muscle. I know this sounds kind of brosciency, but whatever.

Mrcharly does it weekly I think. If you do it once, it's not like it catapults you into super strength mode forever, but I think doing it every so often is good... try one weekend a month to start maybe. I guarantee that a couple days here and there of eating to excess will not make you a fatty for life. Especially if you already have a dedicated workout and diet program that you follow otherwise.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Leptin is def key

And the reason you see big strength "gains" in a during diet binge is because when you're dieting you deplete your muscles of glycogen stores. A carby binge refills them & tells your regulatory systems you're good to expend some energy + lift some weight, which after weeks of eating under maintenance feels like a turbo boost (but is prob closer to your "maintenance" state)

I'm playing around with that shit now... carb cycling essentially w/damn near no carbs on rest days and ~200g of carbs on lift days. 2 weeks in, so far so good, down ~4# (prob just water weight) and my lifts have either held steady or actually gone up. A lot of people here have had success w/cheat days too, it's all about "tricking" the hormones, which sounds brosciencey but has been backed up by studies.

3. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] got my inspiration for today's DLs

[​IMG]

crossposted from .gif thread.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Nothing like straining an ankle... doing seated calf raises. [​IMG]

5. Cool The Kid

Nothing like straining an ankle... doing seated calf raises. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] got my inspiration for today's DLs

[​IMG]

crossposted from .gif thread.

kids form is terrible[​IMG]

7. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Kid's gonna grow up to be such a d-bag

8. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

I am about to order some protein from Trueprotein.com. Can someone shed some light on the quality of the product?

9. airportlobby

airportlobby Well-Known Member

I ordered a bunch of micellar casein and a mix of whey/egg white/micellar, as well as some sample packs and flavoring packs. Very pleased with the quality. The unflavored stuff actually tastes good, like fresh milk. Any specific questions? Some of the flavors are a bit off, some are really good. Although the stevia flavors have a bit of a weird taste. My only complaint is the packing. My casein came in a "food-grade bag"; getting it into a tub was a complete mess, partly b/c it is a very very fine grind and takes to the air with very little stir.

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I might have to try this shit once I'm all done with Optimum Nutrition stash. Only 20lbs to go!

11. Prada_Ferragamo

I ordered a bunch of micellar casein and a mix of whey/egg white/micellar, as well as some sample packs and flavoring packs. Very pleased with the quality. The unflavored stuff actually tastes good, like fresh milk. Any specific questions? Some of the flavors are a bit off, some are really good. Although the stevia flavors have a bit of a weird taste. My only complaint is the packing. My casein came in a "food-grade bag"; getting it into a tub was a complete mess, partly b/c it is a very very fine grind and takes to the air with very little stir.
    Should I go with un-sweetened or premium flavor? I have ordered any un-flavored powder before, not sure how it tastes. The premium flavor does cost a bit more. Also which whey do you recommend off their site? I am debating between the ion-exchange and hydrolyzed. Also how long does it take to get to me once I order?
    I might have to try this shit once I'm all done with Optimum Nutrition stash. Only 20lbs to go!
    I have been drinking Gold Standard for 2 years now. Want to switch it up a bit.

12. airportlobby

airportlobby Well-Known Member

It took about five days. I think all the whey isolates are good. I think the ion-exchange is preferred by some people, not sure what the reasoning is. Unflavored is handy if you don't want a bunch of added junk in or want to control the intensity of the flavor. It kind of tastes like powdered milk - really depends how you like to use your powder. I like to have some unsweetened/unflavored on hand to mix with iced coffee or sweet things, but I also bought some flavor packs, so that I could add it to shakes or oatmeal or the like. If you're happy with pre-flavored whey, stick with it. I really like the premium double dutch chocolate, premium choco peanut butter and premium orangesicle flavors.

I'm still debating whether to place more orders in the future. I'm convinced the quality is as good as anything else (outside of super expensive stuff like Jay Robb), and I like being able to make a custom mix from different protein sources, but it's not cheap. I'd like to try the milk protein isolate - heard that's a good, affordable casein alternative.

Give it a try and see how you like. They have the sample pack specials if you want to try a bunch of flavors (pick five, etc).

Question for folks who carb cycle a few days a week - what constitutes a low carb day? Is 100g a day on a 2000cal day low?

13. Prada_Ferragamo

Thanks man. Appreciated the help. Will order some today and see how it is.

14. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Dropped deadlifts and squats from 3x8 to 3x5 today. Took the deadlift up 45lb and the squat up 10lb. Keeping all my other lifts on 3x8, but its just long to do 8 reps on deadlifts or squats irregardless of the weight. Gym brought out a bunch of strong man equipment today for people who want to workout outside. Had some huge portable squat rack that you lift up on your back and walk around with and power sleds and that shit.

15. Cool The Kid

Question for folks who carb cycle a few days a week - what constitutes a low carb day? Is 100g a day on a 2000cal day low?
    I stay down under 50g out of ~1700cals for my low carb days I try to stay under 200g on ~2500-2700 "high" carb days. Sometimes more though of course *EDIT* fuji you dead + squat on the same day? I wouldn't, esp in such a low rep range.

16. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

what's wrong with that ? even in starting strength one day a week involves both

17. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I do a 2 day split so I can't really put it on the other day or I would be training legs everyday.

18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Something along the lines of

< 50 g = low day
    50-150 g moderate
    200-300 g and up = high

And then if we're talking about real re-feed territory, dial up something like 8g/ lb of lbm (while heavily restricting teh fatz).

19. Cool The Kid

what's wrong with that ? even in starting strength one day a week involves both
    Starting strength is for noobs. fuji is way past that level. If he wants to go heavy (and he will be if he's doing 3x5 close to capacity) he's gotta give himself time to recover. fuji are you just hitting the gym 2 days a week? If so I don't think doing DL & squats separate will be too bad. That's pretty much what I did on those exercises in my bulk, and when everything lined up (good eats + sleep) I rarely had problems and at one point was putting 10+ on my DL every week. I don't know what forms you're using but for me squats and DLs hit different muscles. Splitting them would definitely be easier than doing both heavy on the same day.

20. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I go 4-6 times a week so I deadlift and squat 2-3 times a week, I'm not going that heavy on my deadlift because I do it after front squats so I'm fairly tired, but I've really been putting the weight on the squats. I really doubt I'm past starting strength, a lot of people in the SW&amp;D section seem to think I'm in really excellent shape or something, but my lifts aren't that good. Deadlift 1rm is like 1.75 bodyweight, front squat is like 0.8 because I've only been doing it for a month, bench is 1, bent over row is 0.8 and seated over head dumbbell press is like 0.65. I wouldn't really say I'm beyond starting strength, I don't do that program any more because I got bored of it, but I'm definitely not beyond it.