1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Did you figure this out from a journal where you measured macros or some website calculator?

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Do you ever leave the couch?

3. tesseract

If you are training for hypertrophy do the exercises you feel the most for high reps, multiple times a week. Don't worry about bench #s

4. lunar

lunar Member

Quote:Website. I'm really new to health/fitness.

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

1800 TDEE is incredibly low at 5'4'' unless you are completely sedentary or morbidly obese.

6. lunar

lunar Member

Quote:Lightly active, 108lbs. I should definitely exercise more.

7. ridethecliche

Holy shit, you weigh 108?

Just for clarification, you're a dude right?

8. lunar

lunar Member

Quote:Yeah. 108 for 5'4" is still a healthy BMI if I recall correctly.

9. tesseract

You need to eat and squat for around 5 years before you worry about cutting.

10. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

If there was ever a prime candidate for GOMAD, you're it.

1 person likes this.
  11. ridethecliche

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  12. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Member

What on earth does this have to do with anything? You're either in the "healthy" BMI range, or you're not. Hobby/profession/sport doesn't matter.

1 person likes this.
  13. ridethecliche

Just an FYI for ya hear, but listen reallllll close.

BMI is a one dimensional measure of health and a poor one at that. I could be a smoking alcoholic on the lung and liver transplant list and have a healthy BMI.

Your move slick.

14. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Member

I fully understand the shortcomings of BMI as an accurate indicator of overall health/body composition. But again, how would it change based upon one's hobby/profession/sport... slick?

Also, I think you meant "here" and not "hear", and "really" instead of "real." Aren't you in med school? Jesus, are you another example of someone who got in not because of merit, but because of affirmative action?

15. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

What? Your original comment was dumb and this one actually supports what he was saying.

1 person likes this.
  16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

real is also an adverb

i finally ponied up for an inzer belt. that weird buckling mechanism seemed like such a pain at first, but makes tightening and loosening the belt so much easier. it's just a little hard to take off. i dont know why i haven't used a belt until now. feels amazing

17. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Member

Then he should have followed it with closely.

18. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

close is also an adverb. they can both be flat adverbs

19. ridethecliche

This is getting too grammatical for me. Also, phone autocorrects are fun sometimes.

Also also, 5'4 and 108 is a bmi =18.5 and which is borderline underweight. 20-25 is usually considered normal weight.
    No it doesn't? My point was that a healthy bmi is meaningless when you're a guy that's 5'4 and weigh 108. The only reason I spoke of the type of those types of athletes is because they're often in the underweight or close to underweight zone just because of how important power to weight is in the sport. And pros are usually in the 20-21 range for cycling from what I've read.

Track cyclists being totally different.

TLDR: Low bmi for endurance athletes is more 'normal' than for the average joe that works out. Being borderline underweight by BMI as an average joe that's posting on a thread about working out/lifting is GOMAD level, as someone alluded to earlier.

18.5 is not a healthy BMI barring incredibly uncommon bone/organ morphology or not having been through puberty yet.

20. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

18.5 is in the normal weight zone (albeit on the border). You pulled 20-25 out of nowhere.

What do his height and weight have to do with the validity of his BMI in this case? 5'4" is quite short. It's stupid to make a statement like that without seeing his physique. He probably just doesn't have a ton of muscle, and there's nothing unhealthy about that.

Except for, you know, that it totally is according to official BMI standards. Interesting that you start by saying BMI is a poor measure of health and then turn around and say there's no way he could be healthy. I think you just have no concept of what different weights look like at different heights and how much your body composition can affect things. My roommate is 5'10 135 lbs and probably 14% bodyfat, he is by no means "skinny as shit"