1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

Got my sample pack today:

[​IMG]

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Where's the FitTea and waist trainer?

3. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I wasn't really saying that vanity is a terrible motive or anything, just more that the standards are a bit messed up.

When professional athletes are classed as DYEL it's a bit weird.

It's to the point where WWE wrestlers are the only non-bodybuilding athletes with respectable bodies by internet standards.

Everyone is either DYEL or fat. It's just not reality.

1 person likes this.
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I think it's weird in the US because of NFL players. Most look huge no matter what. I think people think of receivers as the 'athletic' body type. If you use the 'look huge in clothes' test, a lot of MMA fighters wouldn't fit the bill and they're arguably pretty nasty athletes.

I think rowers tend to have pretty good looking bodies aesthetically speaking.

5. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I think there is something to the NFL, and maybe even more influential, every boy who grew up in the 80's idolized WWF wrestlers, Sylvester Stallone, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. If you watch old documentaries, look at the bodies of American soldiers in WWII and Vietnam. You know they are athletic but they probably would not turn many heads.

Just had the Naked Goat whey. It tastes just like goat milk. I'd use it if I was the type to add a dollop of peanut butter, or half a banana, but I'm not. It would be a good choice if you mix other stuff with your protein shakes. People say goat whey is easier to digest and does not bloat like cow whey.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  6. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

It's the combination of the Rippetoe nut huggers + the BB.com effect. Strength über alles / Size über alles. The most important thing for the average Joe is to find a competitive sport or physical hobby and train for it. It keeps you accountable and drives your training. Who gives a shit if you're under 200 lbs., or not the strongest guy in the world? Who gives a shit if you're not training for aesthetics? (SS will T-Rex you, brah!)

Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but I don't know any gym rats. Everyone I know that's in good shape has a major hobby that's a sport or physical activity. Team sports, individual sports, hiking, rock climbing... whatever. I've also noticed all the people I know who have lost weight and kept it off fit in this category too.

Even the people I've known who just do Starting Strength to get in shape eventually transition to powerlifting or some other competitive activity.

This is the problem I've had with consistency going to the gym. No real goals other than that nebulous "get in shape."

DYEL???? 5'10" 135 not a real man!!!!! Look at that skinny marathon runner physique! Drink that milk brah! Squatz-n-oatz!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

^To be fair that guy probably weighs 150-160 in the photo

Americans are definitely more fixated on weighing as much as possible than other nationalities
    Maybe because 91kg doesn't sound as good as 200lb

But I would say most (almost all) amateur athletes and weight lifters are carrying more body fat than is healthy
    Because they eat too much

8. Van Veen

Yeah, I get that. My only point is that the strength nut party line is that he would be more competitive if he put on more mass and went up a few weight classes, and that he's not a man since he doesn't weigh 200.

9. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

I thought your point was that people should train neither for absolute strength nor aesthetics

That only some vague concept of athleticism or participation is a legitimate reason for training

I've been training for years without any concern for performance or size
    Originally just so I could fuck more girls , now that I'm married just so I like what I see in the mirror

Again imo there is no better reason for amateurs to train as every other reason is equally futile if you aren't making a living from it

1 person likes this.
  10. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

WWE people are fat as fuck

1 person likes this.
  11. Van Veen

I never said it was the "only legitimate reason." It's just a psychological trick for people who aren't into training for the sake of training.

12. ridethecliche

Not sure if you're trying to be daft or if you totally misunderstood what I said.

As an aside... I need to get my shoulder looked at so I can figure out why it gets pissed when I climb. I miss climbing..

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

what's going on in this threak

[​IMG]

yeah ok

1 person likes this.
  14. llamaone

llamaone Well-Known Member

Dem beta genetics. I swear dude, every other post of yours you're either complaining about some injury or pain or spouting some sob story about how you can't do certain lifts, you miss biking, or climbing, or whatever other fringe activities you apparently think constituted your glory days. Good lord. Your posts are depressing...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  15. ridethecliche

I mean, most people's bodies don't really appreciate being thrown face first into the ground at 60mph wearing what is realistically the equivalent of fitted underwear...Add in the bit about being in school full time now in a relatively strenuous program and perhaps riding 200-300 miles a week doesn't seem all that efficient of a way to get a workout, especially when it's associated with a body type I'd rather not have ever again.

My shoulder pisses me off if I climb more than twice a week. It's livable, but there's obviously some kind of impingement or imbalance at play. Sounds like a reasonable course of action, no?

But yes, feel free to follow me around SF and act like a bitch for being called out on other threads lol. I'll take beta genetics over being an alpha cunt anyday.

Also, who the fuck are you again?

Wait. Don't answer that. I rly dun care tbh.

16. ridethecliche

Here we have a racoon on shrooms reenacting its first encounter with a tumbleweed.

17. llamaone

Lol...

18. llamaone

And by the way, I don't follow you around on SF. But take a look at the post count you've racked up in a mere two and a half years. You're everywhere, man. Apparently you think your $.02 is worth 2 grand. Maybe cool it on the posting for a while. What you have to say isn't that interesting or informative.

19. ridethecliche

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't give a fuck about you or did you stroke out momentarily.

If the latter, here it is again. I legitimately don't give a fuck about you or your opinion. You're new here and seem lost. The dunce chair is in the corner.

Or you could continue being an insufferable prick. It seems to suit you well.

20. llamaone

Hahaha. Well you seem awfully riled up for someone who doesn't give a fuck. ;)