1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

What are you doing for chest/pressing? When I was putting my home gym together I looked into DBs.... even with the cheapest 10lb plates I was looking at like $300 for 200lb of weight. Not really crazy about heavy dips either.

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Depends really.

Current program on days I do pressing movements are Monday and Friday

Mon: (reps approx)
    Low Inc DB Bench 4x4-6
    Banded Inc DB Flys 4x15,12,10,8
    Weighted Dips 4xfail
    Shoulder complex (varies)
    Tricep complex (varies)

Friday:
    High Inc DB 4x8-10
    Flat BB 4x10,8,6,4
    Seated Military quater reps (8 reps mid, 8 top, 8 bottom)
    Side Raise Partials/Full rom superset
    Rear Fly/Face pull superset
    Dec CG Bench if I feel like it

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Vegetable shakes every morning have definitely changed the smell of my farts.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Some pictures of my physique progression with comments.

[​IMG]
    Autumn 2011. Started college and began lifting regularly.
    About 170-175 lbs.

[​IMG]
    Summer 2012. Had now been on a caloric surplus and was doing the Iron Addicts Simple Power Based Routine (IA SPBR) which was pretty much considered "the best" routine in this thread at the time.185-190 lbs.

[​IMG]
    Early spring 2013. After a year and a half of decent lifting and some muscle gains I wanted to cut.
    At this point in time Leangains Intermittent Fasting and minimalistic training was really big, and I was quite into both. It worked anyway.
    I would guess I was 180-185 lbs in this pic.

[​IMG]
    End result of the cut, May 2013. This pic was taken after carb depletion and a couple of celebration meals for ending the cut.
    I probably took it a bit far, but I wanted to test myself and see how far I could go. Strength didn't suffer that much, but I wasn't particularly strong either.
    175 lbs, barely any legs.

[​IMG]
    Late summer 2014. At the beginning of 2014 I was tired of training for aesthetics so joined a powerlifting club and started to train and compete with them.
    This pic is after half a year of powerlifting training. Was training about twice as much as pre-powerlifting and much stronger. 190-195 lbs in the pic.

[​IMG]
    Winter 2015. Not much to say besides that the lifts were going up and training was fun, although demanding.
    200 lbs, mostly legs.

[​IMG]
    Autumn 2015. Taken before my last meet. About 210-215 lbs.
    The meet went well, but at this point I had developed some tendinitis in my left knee and my back was bothering me. Not because of bad technique, but rather just too much and not knowing when to take some time off. X-ray showed the start of disc protrusion in the very low back, and I so I have taken a break from powerlifting and am now lifting more casually and a bit less.

2 people like this.
  5. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

man you started off looking like Christian bale in the machinist. Good vastus medialus development. .

6. conceptionist

Yeah, I'm skinny by nature. 6'3 with small wrists and frame accentuates it.
    Legs def respond best on me. Of course it also has to do with how I've trained over the last years.
    Squatting and deadlifting often will build good legs, while a high arch bench press might not add as much mass to the upper body.

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

That abdominal vascularity tho. I only get veins in my upper and lower abs/pelvic region. You have fucking vines throughout. Crazy.

1 person likes this.
  8. tesseract

I know it's insane. I doubt I could ever reach that low of a body fat percentage without seriously playing with my hormones at an unbearable calorie level.

9. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Got some gyno on those last couple of pics?

10. K. Nights

K. Nights Well-Known Member

That doesn't look like gyno, just weird shaped pecs

11. hendrix

Tried out the shank levers.

They were pretty intense. Not sure if the difficulty was the amount of core stabilisation required or actual lat strength. I suppose either is good for deadlifts if that's what you're looking for. Not sure whether they'd help actual lat development over the usual suspects.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

@conceptionist , are you sure your knee pain isn't from incorrect patellar tracking due to more VM than VL development?

13. conceptionist

That was after carb and salt depletion though and then some massive carb and salt heavy meals. Loaded the system pretty good and it was the only time I've had that vascularity.

Maybe. I also have lower arches on my left foot. Tendinitis is just my own diagnosis. I'm meeting a sports physio next week and I'll ask him. Thanks for the heads up.

14. ridethecliche

Sorry, had that backwards. VL>VM is more common. Patella kinda collapses in when loaded heavy when that happens. More chondromalacia than patellar tendinitis though.

As a side note, I shadowed an ortho sports guy in the OR the other day. Got to watch a meniscus repair as well as an ACL reconstruction. Was pretty cool seeing everything done through the scope.

15. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Ortho surgeries are more fun when they get the mallets out

16. tesseract

I did it again yesterday just to figure them out as an exercise. Huge trap and rear delt pumps. I'll experiment for a few months and see what they do since there's actually no consequence to them other than poor time management.

17. conceptionist

Hmm... my VL and VM are both well developed.
    I've had some issues with the knee tracking inwards on heavier lifts though, and chondromalacia sound pretty spot on (although its a very broad diagnosis).
    It basically hurts to load the knee through squatting motions if I am not very warmed up. In the worst period it could even hurt just to bend the leg.
    Its right on top of the kneecap, where it attaches to the thigh muscle. Can hurt if I press down on the kneecap. No real damage though, judging from the MRI.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  18. ridethecliche

Hah, and drills. I did research in spine and ortho onc for 2 years. Some of those surgeries were fucking insane. I've walked out of the OR carrying a big chunk of someone's spine... Like L2-S2 big... Fuckin' A.

Yeah, inwards tracking is usually caused by VM being weaker relatively, as well as tightness on the medial side. From my very limited understanding anyway. I had the same issue. It's what made me quit cycling back in college. Fucking sucked. I had set my entire year up to train 200-300 miles a week and race a fuckton and it just came crashing down right at the end of summer before it started. I was crushed. I wanted to upgrade and enter a few mixed races that had some local pros.

19. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

probably bad idea but thinking of getting a Microsoft Band/smartwatch for running. I don't run a lot but wanna have stats to track progress with. Worth the money or no?

20. hendrix

I don't know if this affects the band, but the Bing fitness app on my Windows phone - which was actually an excellent app - has been discontinued for some reason. So not sure whether they're going to be continuing support down those lines.

It's really frustrating as I much prefer the way windows apps are intergrating really nicely as intended, finally.