1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Generally in healthcare if you want something to be accepted you have to first prove that it works, then that it works well enough to be worth our time etc.

For whatever reason pseudo-physios have been the exception for hundreds of years now so when they tell us to stretch our quadrifuckerottamus while holding a dildo in our earlobe we do it because if we don't our right toe-nail might fall off.

So rather than asking for "dissenters', let's see the actual scientific proof that any of this quackery does anything.

2 people like this.
  2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

IIRC even something like static stretching doesn't have that much scientific research behind it. Or perhaps the question was stretching and recovery.

Cannot be arsed to waste even one unpaid minute to read through non-economics journals, since I plow through so many papers on a daily basis.

My friend, who worked for a good few decades as a professional coach in volleyball both here and abroad gave me the following advice:

if something feels good for you and you think you get some benefit from it, then do it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This is why I do yoga. It settles my mind, my class has some really good people, and I have gained flexibility that I haven't had since I was a kid. I can't make myself stretch before or after a workout because I hate stretching on its own, so the stretching that's part of yoga will have to do for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

That's a very sound reason to do yoga for someone such as me, who can't be bothered to "waste" time on stretching, although yoga seems to be a better use of time. I may be too a-type for it, though, reading through my last sentence.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

FWIW, sometimes i get to the end, and then go back to the middle.

6. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Got some ECA on the way. Thinking about changing my daily routine so instead of eating breakfast first thing in the AM then lifting before my 8-4 job, I would fast all day/dose ECA, snack at 3, lift at 4, eat between 5-11. Id have an hour lunch at 12 where id be twiddling my thumbs, but other than that it seems like the best way to get a good fast in. Anyone else try fasting through the day?

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

I am thinking she will understand when she sees that split good morning video. Dem thighs tho

1 person likes this.
  8. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

When I did IF a couple years back I'd sometimes fast until around 15, and then eat to 22-ish.
    It def "works" for dieting, and I think it did make me look leaner than when I ate breakfast, but thats prob just because I was depleted.
    Its not supposed to be very effective for muscle gains though. Basically it will be much harder for you to reach a net positive protein balance (what enables muscle growth) over the whole day, since protein breakdown will of course be larger when you don't eat for so many hours. You can however reach a better prtein balance if you take protein pulses during the fast. Shakes of 10 grams EAA's separated by 2-4 hours is commonly used.

9. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Haha, I remember your ridiculous leanness IF days. I don't mind muscle gain being at a disadvantage. I've managed to maintain or even make slight gains while cutting for the last month, but with Mexico being 5 weeks away I'd rather do as much as possible to get lean now and then worry about gains after.

10. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Guys, I got rid of my fixed bench press and am looking for rec's on a quality utility bench, preferably fid. Easily available in the UK
    TIA

11. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Gonna do a 12 week cycle of test. See you later, weak gayboys

8 people like this.
  12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

You transitioning?

5 people like this.
  13. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

Lu failed all 3 attempts in c&j at world championships wtf

14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

Tian Tao bombed out in the jerk as well. Guess Team China doesn't give a fuck about anything less than gold

15. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

team china switching to split jerk for rio?

16. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

just watched om-yun chol dominate, the rest couldn't give a fuck about.

Everyone bombs once in a while.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  17. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Where y'all watching this?

And @Eason do you mind sharing why you're going on cycle? In any event, hope it goes well and you have your PCT, AIs, SERMs, and other ancillaries sorted

18. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Been lifting for 15 years, I'm 30 now and getting into MMA and power lifting. The health benefits are one thing, but I wouldn't mind gaining 20lbs either. The strength is also a huge benefit for what I do.

1 person likes this.
  19. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

But at what cost

No but seriously I admire your balls I don't have the guts/lack of caution to do it

Plus I know once I'm on I'll never want to be off again and feel like a weak pleb, knowing what it feels like to be a god

Dat cardiovascular disease

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

was scary as fuck handling the needles for the first time and injecting, but it was actually a piece of piss.

I am not opposed to being on TRT later in life so I figured it wouldn't be bad just to have a try. :embar: