1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

I think the Brad Pitt thing is more about beginners not understanding lifting. It's them being told to lift if they want to look like him instead of doing pushups and going for a run afterwards, only to have them say "I don't want to look like Arnold" as if getting huge overnight just happens as soon as you pick up a barbell.

No, not everyone has to be a powerlifter, but if you want to look like a famous shirtless celebrity then there's a good chance some amount of regimented lifting is involved.

2. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

so how do I look like brad pitt in fight club and not a powerlifter if I'm already powerlifting

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Do a cut

The other joke is that his physique in that was not that great. No abs, small arms, yadda yadda. Just good skin, good lighting, good posture, movie star swag.

4. Chulillo

Chulillo Well-Known Member

I wish I had "no abs" like BP, really xD

[​IMG]

In all honesty I think it is "all he has" that is why he is so overrated... because everyone want abs, abs, abs disregarding everything else (the average citizen I mean, not people who train regularly).

5. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

BP looks like he's going to be able to rep 225 in the bench there and his arms look around 16". That is much bigger/stronger than the average Joe and would take a while of dedicated weight training for someone untrained to accomplish. So I think the joke is that untrained people say that don't need to "bulk up" to look like BP from Fight club, but they are mistaken.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  6. accordion

to be fair he didn't really have abs in fight club. I'm assuming the difference between powerlift physique and brad pitt is just more arm work and low bf? Not that it makes any difference to me since I assume everyone coming from skinnyfat after the first year will have around the same type of physique no matter what kind of program they're doing.

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Its not that you can't get the physique with other types of training, but the simple fact is that the physique will be achieved fastest by heavy progressive weight training and then a cut. That goes for all physiques where some amount of muscle mass is involved. The difference is only how much muscle.

Its like you don't get a top level sprinters physique fastest by sprinting, but heavy weight training and cutting.

Your frame, muscle insertions and proportional size of the individual muscles will form how you actually look with more muscles and lower bodyfat. The only factor of those three that you can affect is the relative size of the muscles. The rest is the genetic lottery.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  8. gong

gong Well-Known Member

how does someone "look like they can bench 225 a few times" lol

9. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Easy - somebody of average (or below average) size and muscle-tone does not look like they can do that. Someone who looks like a professional athlete looks like they can they can rep three wheels. Therefore, someone who is above average, but not professional looks can rep 225 in the bench press. This is science, bro, try to keep up.

1 person likes this.
  10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

From my experience, all you need is to build up your upper body. You don't need to show your legs so don't waste your time on working your legs because what you are describing is all for look and not for functioning. Do curls, triceps, bench press including incline to make your chest fuller, do a bunch of shoulders work out and do abs, and do lat pull down, seated row. Do everything within 65 to 70% of your 1rm for 5 months. You should know the difference. On top of that, do cardio to cut down. That's it. Basically, any bro work outs would suffice. Drink your protein powder.

11. barrelntrigger

Do you guys do a lot of bent over row? I used to do them until some bro on here told everybody to save their back for benching, squating, and deads. Recently, I've been doing bent over rows with a very slight bent, 1 plate but 25 to 30 reps trying to cut up my back. So far, no back issues and getting a good burn.

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

I do em (Pendlay style) but only cos I cant do pullups! [​IMG]
    Heavy day 5x5 @ 95Kg. Light day 5x8 @ 80KG

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  13. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I do 4-5 sets of 6-10 reps every two weeks or so. Usually pick seated cable rows instead, since I like them better. I used to do a fair bit of barbell seal rows. Those only target the lats with no stress on the low back since your lying down. Lat pull downs I do every week.

1 person likes this.
  14. boso

boso Well-Known Member

I get back home tomorrow from two months in Prague/Tokyo and I can't wait to get back to a routine, cooking, and not being shitty to myself constantly. I had been doing Stronglifts + accessory work every other day and working on really getting my form down for about 3 months. Wasn't able to keep working out abroad and I ate like shit and now I look/feel pretty floppy.

I need to work on building my strength up so I think I'll stick with the 5x5 (numbers were something like squat 195, bench: 135, row: 105, deadlift: 205, ohp: 85 when I left). I want to add something else on my fourth day though so I'm going to look into swimming, yoga, or boxing at school. As for building a "base strength," is there an amount of time people recommend sticking with a beginner program before moving to something that's a split/more-aesthetic based? I want to keep getting stronger + cardio/yoga through the fall and winter but might start riding my bike again in the spring and fine something that's less squat intensive.

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

@Eason , how is your TBT routine structured?

I want to be able to do stuff like climb and maybe box in addition to working out. Hoping to get into a schedule after I move into my apartment. I don't think I'll be able to lift 5-6 days a week if I want to do that. What would you suggest?

I'm probably 170-175 right now, but mostly shit weight. Trying to recomp/build muscle back up before getting back into reasonable shape. Figure boxing and climbing might make a good 'cutting' accessory for non-gym days.

16. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

I just lift mwf with a stripped 5x5 and regulate to 3x5 when i feel dead. Mma Tues thurs sat, rest Sunday.

17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

What exercises are you doing on tbd different days?

18. accordion

so I met this asian kid at the gym today who's about 5'7, and said he's 155lbs and have always been around the same weight. He's been lifting for 5-6 years since high school, and his maxes are 375+ squat but 400 before he got hurt, and I'm guessing 300+ for bench since he was repping 225 pretty easily. I asked him if he eats protein or watch his diet and he said not really. I told him I'm really confused how he can get this strong without gaining weight or bulking/cutting. He looks really skinny but extremely cut. So how is this possible... does he just have natural high metabolism and different muscle fibers or something?

19. barrelntrigger

Another thing to consider is he might have better bio mechanics like for instance, his biceps is attached to his ulnar, radius an inch lower than normal therefore, giving him much more leverage to curl more. Also, he might be on the sauce and just lie about it.

20. accordion

Can you juice without gaining weight though? He definitely looked 155, didn't seem to have a powerlifter's physique. His form was pretty good while repping 3 plates, was one of the craziest things I've seen.