1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Two weeks out from meet so testing the lifts this week.
    Worked up to a heavy deadlift today and managed to get 400, 25 pounds over my previous PR from the meet back in January.
    Felt pretty good to finally get 4 plates.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    5 people like this.
  2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

I just do the whey isolates... Ive done both mixing methods, can't recall a difference. On a $/gram basis TN is a good ~10% cheaper than stuff like ON etc. Why the hesitation?

3. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

that bench stroke.

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

I don't know. I talked with a colleague who'd done the GMAT and it seemed nicer. They're both crap, but at least with the GRE I got some faggy high school dropout giving the test who consistently poked me in the dick with the metal detector wand.

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

GRE is a glorified SAT with college grad level vocab... basically it's a joke. GMAT is definitely more difficult and regardless of your mathematical abilities you need to learn how to do the math in the context of the test (which means mostly in your head and using lots of shortcuts.) LSAT is much more difficult than both those two combined.

6. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed real benefits from timing your carbohydrate intake? i.e., consuming most of your carbs in the morning and pre/post workout. There are varying schools of thought on this - some people say that carb timing is completely irrelevant, others swear by it. In the past I have never worried about timing, not because I was convinced it didn't matter, but mostly because I wanted to carbs whenever I felt like it.

7. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

feel shit if i dont eat carbs before i lift. Never noticed anything post workout though.

8. suited

suited Well-Known Member

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Wonder where that puts the MCAT.

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

The GMAT at the 700+ level doesn't really test you on grammar or math, it basically at that level is testing you on how well you can take the GMAT. There are absurd tricks and rules that the GMAT has that you need to remember and apply if you want to get a solid score. A lot of the higher level reasoning questions, for example, have a choice that sounds correct but based on the laws of the GMAT another one is the better choice. It's absurd. So you have to study your ass off to remember all these things, take the test, then forget them all.

11. conceptionist

There are quite a few studies that have shown that you store less body fat by eating your carbs in the evening, post workout.
    That said, it will only affect your body composition marginally. Your daily activity level and how many calories you eat will be much more important.

12. suited

suited Well-Known Member

No argument there - my question was geared toward a hypothetical where the same person would be eating the same macros, with the only difference being the timing of their carbs.

13. conceptionist

Almost impossible to determine what the difference would be. Would need an extremely controlled study.

The thing is, that the difference you get from carb timing or any other super-detailed diet manipulation (if they even have any benefits) would most likely be offset if you just sat on your ass by the computer for two hours longer.

14. Khayembii Communique

Every single piece of sushi or sashimi I look up are all over the place for calories. What do I do? Thinking about just getting the beet salad.

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Just eat the raw fish ones with rice man. Stay away from the ones heavy on mayo like @GraphicNovelty was saying.

16. Khayembii Communique

Even when I look up pieces of sashimi in MFP the calories are all over the place.

17. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Your not going to be able to weigh it anyway so it whatever you record won't be accurate.

18. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Assume the worst and do more cardio when u have to have sushi. Avoid it otherwise.

19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Sushi is super low calorie. Just eat beforehand if you're really worried.

1 person likes this.
  20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

i dont count cals of free food. there people starvin out there and you worried abot 500 cals of free delicious sushi.