1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I'll do some research on that, thanks.

Ya fuck hip flexors. Mine are giant and no one cares, they are also a pain in the ass because they get super tight. I've been spending the past 20 minutes jamming a lacross ball into them so they can relax.

2. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

The point of that article was that a bunch of novice lifters are being told to train high weight low rep, big 3 if they want to be big and strong and that's not really the case. You used yourself as an example of someone who grew sufficiently to argue against the article to the point where you questioned his credentials. Train for whatever you want but don't get it mistaken that bodybuilders look like bodybuilders because they are training in different rep ranges and with much higher volume than plers

3. Coldsnap

tesseract when should I start doing like 15-30 rep stuff? I mostly stay in the 8,10,12 range throughout my workouts.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I agree with that the SS approach has some problems but its (and similar programs) main idea is good for novices. Its easy to follow and focus on the principles with the most impact per time invested, that is compound movements and progression. I do however think its too barebones and the progression is too fast.

I questioned the writer's understanding of what powerlifting training is. In most cases, bodybuilders use powerlifting principles and vice versa so the divide is not as clear cut in my opinion as the writer makes it out to be. That said, "full" bodybuilding training will probably make you gain more size while training geared more towards powerlifting will make you stronger. Just align the training with your goals.

5. Coldsnap

6. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

where to get this in Europe? I need to cut and have no dicipline for starvation mode/feelings.

7. tesseract

Start experimenting now. You may love it and it may make you grow like a weed or you might hate it and find it a waste of time. I've had a lot of success with high reps and lots of TUT. Try throwing a few high rep sets in at the end of a workout for a lagging muscle and see what happens

8. Coldsnap

Okay, will do thanks.

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

I thank God for my squat/DL #s and my relative lack of quad development

10. tesseract

Huge hip flexors and hip flexor tightness was basically why I crossed over to the aesthetics side.

11. Coldsnap

Yea. I've spent a ton of time researching ways to keep my hips / back healthy, I think I'll always be able to maintain a decent squat and deadlift because of this. But the time obsessing over that stuff could be spent focusing on bicep and delt development.

12. tesseract

Aligning training with your goals is great if you have experience. Novice lifters are being told barebones programs with hardly any accessory work will make them look like arnold. Two years later and they look like potatoes and have a decent squat and deadlift.

1 person likes this.
  13. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

pmed

1 person likes this.
  14. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I know that you mean, but in my opinion that is a misinformation problem, not a problem related to aligning training with their goals. I think that training in general just has too much information that is either bad, misunderstood, or read by the wrong audience.

15. tesseract

I agree. The internet has given new lifters an over abundance of information.

16. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I think the bigger thing is the self righteousness of the rippletits making noobs think theyre like morally better for not training arms and just getting jewcy glutes.

17. tesseract

Umm bodybuilders are gay, can you spot my squat bro, get super close.

18. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

This is my beef. Big arms and a big total are equally silly goals. They dont really mean anything. But they are fun to pursue.

19. tesseract

Big arms gets you money and pussy.

1 person likes this.
  20. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

My body (or more likely brain) felt the imminent cheat day and had to earn it. Today I tried my 1RM on deadlift and pulled 308 lbs at 152 lbs body weight. Finally came over the 2xBW point. I might have pulled a wee bit more but didn't feel like stretching luck. That was actually my goal for June.

So yes. I'm still weak sauce but I'm happy I'm making progress while cutting.

3 people like this.