1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

This newly published study is very relevant for the incline-chest-activation discussion.

Quote:
    This study compared the muscular activation of the pectoralis major, anterior deltoid and triceps brachii during a free-weight barbell bench press performed at 0°, 30°, 45° and –15° bench angles. Fourteen healthy resistance trained males (age 21.4 ± 0.4 years) participated in this study. One set of six repetitions for each bench press conditions at 65% one repetition maximum were performed. Surface electromyography (sEMG) was utilised to examine the muscular activation of the selected muscles during the eccentric and concentric phases. In addition, each phase was subdivided into 25% contraction durations, resulting in four separate time points for comparison between bench conditions. The sEMG of upper pectoralis displayed no difference during any of the bench conditions when examining the complete concentric contraction, however differences during 26–50% contraction duration were found for both the 30° [122.5 ± 10.1% maximal voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC)] and 45° (124 ± 9.1% MVIC) bench condition, resulting in greater sEMG compared to horizontal (98.2 ± 5.4% MVIC) and –15 (96.1 ± 5.5% MVIC). The sEMG of lower pectoralis was greater during –15° (100.4 ± 5.7% MVIC), 30° (86.6 ± 4.8% MVIC) and horizontal (100.1 ± 5.2% MVIC) bench conditions compared to the 45° (71.9 ± 4.5% MVIC) for the whole concentric contraction. The results of this study support the use of a horizontal bench to achieve muscular activation of both the upper and lower heads of the pectoralis. However, a bench incline angle of 30° or 45° resulted in greater muscular activation during certain time points, suggesting that it is important to consider how muscular activation is affected at various time points when selecting bench press exercises.
    Influence of bench angle on upper extremity muscular activation during bench press exercise. Eur J Sport Sci. 2015 Mar 23:1-8.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/...22605#abstract

2. conceptionist

No, you don't have to.
    I train squat, bench, dead 3-5 days in row most weeks.

If you decide to increase the frequency, make sure to decrease the volume per session at first. Over time you can surpass your previous volume.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but you haven't thought of doing high frequency instead of high volume per session?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I'm just getting off a high frequency routine, was about 3 months or 4. It worked well when I was really busy and could only make it to the gym 3 days a week. So I bench / squat / dead variation every workout. It worked good for me, but since I have 4-5 days a week to train now I think brosplit is still the best for bodybuilding type stuff.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. conceptionist

Ok, didn't think you had tried it. Then you know what works for different goals and under different circumstances at least.

5. Coldsnap

Yea, I'll definitely re-visit in during times I can't make it to the gym a lot. Or when I'm doing a strength cycle. It did awesome things for my highbar squat, with all that opportunity to practice the movement.

6. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

I have been in love with high volume for almost a year, especially for shoulders, chest and triceps.

7. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

@Coldsnap
    Why are doing like 3 overhead press variations though?

8. Coldsnap

Cause my overhead sucks heh.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I think you're misunderstanding what conceptionist means by high frequency here.

1 person likes this.
  10. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

11. Coldsnap

Concept means high frequency of the main lifts. Instead of having a dedicated squat day.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Yea thats what I thought he meant too

13. conceptionist

I meant high frequency as in training the lifts 3+ times per week and not splitting them into different sessions, e.g. squatting and benching (and pssibly also deadlifting) in the same workout multiple times per week for instance.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  14. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

I'm doing a 2-split since close to two months because Candito gave me joint problems quite once in a while for multiple days when doing the RP attempts and at the same time giving me not enough days at the gym for entertainment purposes (when I only go 3 times a week I'm bored as fuck on the others). So I kinda sticked with some basics of it but do it more BB style, getting in 6 training days a week.

Upper:
    Dumbbell incline bench
    Barbell bend over row
    Military press
    Weighted pull ups
    Weighted dips
    Weighted chin ups
    Face pulls
    Cable push down
    Dumbbell curls
    Pike & roll out on swiss ball

Lower:
    Zercher Squat
    (Sumo/Conventional) Deadlift (I only go heavy on squats OR deadlifts on the same day)
    Calf raise
    Shrugs
    Hammer curls
    Dips for reps
    Pike & roll out on swiss ball
    Hanging leg raise

I vary it between high weight / low reps (5) and medium weight / high reps (8-12) to keep some variance in and not do the same every day.

One of my buddies (total bro scientist) claims I'm overtraining but I don't think I can move enough weight to overtrain yet, I feel great and have top motivation. I do my pause day when I feel like I'm running out of energy which is typically around Monday or Tuesday. Results are seemingly quite ok, can't wait that it's 01.06. and we're done with cutting.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

maybe 1 person ITT actually knows what is meant by overtraining

2 people like this.
  16. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Theres a massive fire at my uni, whole street it's on has been evacuated. Maybe this will get the occupy protesters out.

17. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

I did arms 2 days in a row did I overtrain?

2 people like this.
  18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

lift the world is pretty neat

1 person likes this.
  19. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

OOOOO OOOOOOO! I KNOW THE ANSWER!!! PICK ME!!!! TEACHER PICK ME!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  20. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

I train back, legs, chest and arms every day, am I doing it wrong?

1 person likes this.