1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

What would you recommend if you're trying to hold mass. I don't really understand the logic of 'recomp' diets.
    I'm cool not losing weight and taking 3 months to do this. I'm only 180 so it's nothing crazy.

2. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

Idk which version of IF you are talking about but for what I am saying you cant just eat garbage. Its IF with a keto macro composition. It just fits better for me in terms of eating habits and med school time demands.

3. ridethecliche

Haha yeah, not having time to eat is certainly part of the day.

1 person likes this.
  4. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

You occasionally get the time but its only for really shit hospital food. Rather eat healthy good for you shit in a tiny window and feel satiated (plus pigging out feels great).

5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

RTC - Personally carb cycling and nutrient timing has always worked most effectively for me. Higher carbs on training days, low/keto on non-training days (though it's arguable if keto is actually reached on a single off-day) and consuming the majority of your carbs around training... Plus tailoring your training to burn more fat (shorter rests, more intensity techniques, complexes, cardio, while still lifting heavy). The concept of recomping by doing more rather than just eating less has always made more sense to me, and has always worked personally, but whatever plan is easiest for you to stick will obviously be the best.

Benes - Yeah, again for your situation IF is far more convenient and the likelihood you stick it to is more probable. Some IF protocols you just have a simple window to consume your allotted calories and the quality isn't really an issue. There's way too many IF protocols to really keep up with though since I would personally never use them.

6. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

you definitely are not getting keto just by 'not eating carbs' on an off day

1 person likes this.
  7. OccultaVexillum

8. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

Then everyone you know is fucking stupid.

IF doesn't starve you and it has nothing to do with cavemen. I loved cutting on IF because I was already in the habit of skipping breakfast, it just meant no longer having an early lunch and let me eat pretty much the same types of foods I was eating anyways.

IF can't be compared against carb cycling or keto because it isn't a fucking diet. You can carb cycle or do keto on IF, for example. Preserving LBM is more about getting adequate protein and continuing to train, you can do that with or without IF.

And besides, muscle consumption is so incredibly overblown by fitness people (just like nutrient timing, macro breakdowns, carb cycling, and everything else fitness related). You don't really lose much muscle on a cut even if you don't get adequate protein and aren't lifting.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  9. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

aren't you DYEL?

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

Sort of, though I'd say I'm leaving DYEL territory finally. In at around 193 last time I weighed, benching 235, squatting 310, pulling ~360 for reps. A couple weeks/months away from the 1000 lb club.

My history is based on not knowing how to bulk and being obsessed with being lean, so given the success I've been having on this bulk I'd say I finally figured out how to bulk without becoming a fat fuck. I'm a pro at cutting though haha. Not sure how any of this is relevant to the objective facts stated above.

11. OccultaVexillum

@Khayembii Communique 'K.

2 people like this.
  12. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

I don't know, your matter of fact attitude pissed me off, that was it.

13. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Yea I dont know what he is talking about. Switching back to IF and more importantly concentrating the bulk of my calories to about 1-2 hours before working out has helped me a ton on my cut. Way more than intraworkout shakes or anything. Lifts actually went up a little bit when I made that change and I dont feel like shit in the gym anymore.

1 person likes this.
  14. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

+1

I've done IF, warrior diet, carb backloading, high carb every day, no carbs, whatever else, and from my experience and what the absolute vast majority of studies say, meal timing and macros (other than getting adequate protein) pretty much mean zero in comparison to simply getting a calorie deficit. Calories in vs calories out is what determines whether you lose or gain weight. I know you know this, so its hard to understand why some of you talk so much about meal timing's importance for losing weight.

Placing your carbs around training can be good for getting energy for the session with the small carb budget you have on a large deficit. Skipping breakfast might be convenient and make it possible to eat more satisfying meals later during the day. But it will be no means make you lose more fat given that the total calories are the same.

15. ridethecliche

Jeez everyone calm down.

And ctk glad the nutrient timing suggestion worked. Ive found it helpful to take my second shake an hour or two before my workout.

16. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Everyone in here must be huge and/or shredded.

1 person likes this.
  17. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

I hoped so by now, but this is not the case.

18. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

This is why I started IF, just sub med school with work and graduate studies. It just fits my schedule better. IF also doesn't mean you automatically run IIFYM, you can apply any macronutrient ratio to IF.

Currently in a deficit/carb cycling and I am losing fat no faster than a typical 16 hour feeding diet, and am also gaining muscle at the same time. My strength has also continually progressed despite getting to the lower %s where I typically see my pressing movements dip or stall a little.

By far the biggest advantage to IF IMO is the satisfaction of having a few large meals on a cut. Nothing like getting to have a 3+lb meal post-workout.

19. Landscape

Landscape Well-Known Member

I think you're all being confused by eachother since people are operating with different definitions of IF. IF = intermittent fasting. The IF many people here seem to be referring is the one known as "Leangains" popularized by Martin Berkhan, which is a very strict diet where you can't just stuff your face with whatever you want, Leangains is also the 16/8 people are referring. However, IF can also be warrior diet (20/4) and even having entire fasting days. So far the arguments against Leangains have mostly been bs. That you don't know anyone personally who got big by it probably says more about the people you know, and the fact that it's fairly easy to do if you have a tight schedule every day also makes it an attractive form of dieting.

Oh, then it's understandable that you got an operation. I don't really do any sports besides weightlifting or running.

1 person likes this.
  20. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

My high bar squat is now more than my low bar. Success!

3 people like this.