1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Landscape

Landscape Well-Known Member

Yeah, also a fair point that I should've elaborated on it instead of being lazy/rebellious youth.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Went up to new hampshire with some friends on a ski trip. I don't ski so i figured i'd make something with the local cuisine in our condo.

Bought some maple syrup so I figured I'd make fried chicken and pancakes (no waffle maker). Also got some chorizo that my friend's girlfriend used to make a paella and raw milk she used to make tapioca.

Didn't get the Paella or Tapioca, but here's the chicken and pancakes:

[​IMG]

It was fucking awesome.

4 people like this.
  3. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

I tweaked my back deadlifting last week. I've been running 5/3/1, but I want to do some BB upper body stuff for a few weeks to give the back a rest. Should I just do a chest/tris/shoulders, back/bis/abs split or is there something better?

4. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

erbs, what if you figured out why you tweaked your back and get yourself stronger in that manner?

5. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

^ That's definitely part of my long term plan, but I don't want to hit my back until it fully heals. I let the bar drift forward at the start of my pull and I rounded my lower back trying to complete the rep. Should have dropped the bar.

6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

My tailor actually had to recut my pants to remove the pleats because my quads were causing the pleats to open when standing. Pants are ~13'' rise IIRC and are pretty slim through the thigh (comparable to my ~12.75'' trousers) with an 8.5'' leg opening tapered from the knee down. But I have minimal vastus lateralis development compared to VMO & rectus femoris.

I've always preferred my jackets to be longer to present a leaner silhouette. I find Attolini/Luciano Barbera does this very well for my frame.

7. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

Here's my most recent squat session (bout tree fiddy pounds). Currently five weeks out from regional championships. Depth a bit borderline/high on a few too many reps. Might get close to a five plate squat though...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Your technique and angles look very solid.
    Good job.

11. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Hmmm... yeah higher rise it is next time.
    That has solved the issue previously for casual pants.

Thanks for your input.

12. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

+1. When I wore suits at my former job, trousers had 12.5-13.5" rise with single pleat, preferably held by suspenders. Even my trousers for current business casual wear are in the 13" neighborhood with single pleat.

13. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

14. ridethecliche

High rep workouts started today. Good times.

Lets see how it translates over to results. My arms have been stuck at 15.5 for what feels like forever. Hoping it puts a bit more depth to my back and chest as well.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

gf and I are gonna start doing P90X in the mornings before work/school now. She quit her gym so only has a personal training gym but the dumbass keeps cancelling on her and she refuses to go anywhere else, so figured it'd be a good way to support her. Also I'm feeling like a huge fat fuck and doing some cardio will make me feel better even though I'll still be a huge fat fuck.

Confident I'll be able to get my bench up to 240 next week. That means I've put 40 lbs on it since the beginning of December. Considering I've been weighting up 5 lbs and only actually bench once a week that's pretty damn fast. :slayer:

Can't wait to hit 250 for reps.

2 people like this.
  16. GraphicNovelty

Suddenly seeing cut results. I'm gonna probably ride out the cut for another couple weeks because I don't look like this all the time but I'm very happy.

Click for gratuitous mirror selfie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  17. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

GN whats your experience on the cut been (weight lost, amount of time cutting, strength losses etc)

I have pretty good momentum going on mine but I still have a long ass way to go before I'm satisfied.

18. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Also hopefully not jinxing myself but weare in contract on a house again. Got my gym room picked out. Should be able to build it up for like $1500.

One thing I'm going back and forth on... is it worth getting a full on cage, or would a rack with a safety catch do? Space will be at a premium.

19. GraphicNovelty

I tried some new stuff this cut. Normally I go super low carb and relatively high fat, but I decided to go low fat generally for the whole cut. On normal days I generally hit my goal of 500-750 calorie defecit, while on workout days I try and eat around maintenence or with a 250 calorie defecit. Saturdays are my weekly cheat days, which throw off measurement, as I pick up 5 or so lbs of waterweight that I get rid of through the week. It makes tracking actual weight difficult. I started around 167 and now my lowest weight through the week is about 161 (hovering around a "wet" 164)

In terms of diet, I do a 16/8 fast and I snack on fruits (apples, pears, and recently oranges which are in season and are fucking amazing right now), nuts, 0% greek yogurt or the occasional quest bar if i need something more substantial (I'm going to school part time which makes things sort of tough to schedule around), while my meals I almost always make myself and involve lean protein + whole grains + nuts. However, I'll IIFYM if i'm really craving a particular thing and it's not a cheat day--I've indulged in ramen, burgers, fried chicken, cookies and all that sort of crap and tried to keep it sensible. Food scale and measuring cups to portion out stuff has been a godsend.

I supplement creatine in pill form and I haven't had a scoop of protein powder this entire time because it's a waste of precious calories. I also take vitamin d, fish oil and a multi though I ran out of the multi and i'm probably not gonna buy another.

My strength in the form of reps performed has gone up, though I should note that I only do light weight/bodyweight due to my rotator cuff injury. I do about 100 flat pushups, 60 incline pushups, and about 60 pull ups, DB presses and curls with 35 lb weights and just machines for legs. I do about 20-30 minutes of vigorous elliptical-ing. Basically I workout like someone who just wants to tone because I can't really do much else (i'm also going to physical therapy for my leg 2-3 times a week). I'm trying to workout 3 times a week but I"m busy so I usually only get in 1 or 2. Considering I'm not super concerned with keeping lean mass (the primary motivator for the cut was I was getting to bulky for my nice clothes)

2 people like this.
  20. ridethecliche

I'll be on that grind soon. I think I'm just maintaining right now and trying to recomp over the next while. 180 is enough for me, especially if I can't do any heavy lifting. Fuck it. I'm just gonna get shredded. Given that I have 15-20 more lbs on me than when everyone thought I 'looked huge'. I think I can get pretty good results just staying at this weight.

I guess those are my cards and I'm pretty sure I can get some decent results as well.

@GraphicNovelty , you're what 5'6/ 5'7? I think I could look decent-ish with 20 lbs more on my frame than you if I'm 5'10 haha.

If I gain any more weight I'll have to get new clothes too. Womp womp.