1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Still ways around it man. You can do lunges for leg stuff. What about hex bars for deads? Pull ups means that you can probably do pull downs and rows?

I'm guessing you're opposed to having surgery for the shoulder and are just going to make do with a more limited workout scheme?

The best advice I got post injury was to let pain be your guide. Try one new thing light in the gym every session and see how your body reacts. It took me a long time to find out what worked at the start when I'd get flare ups all the time.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I've been dealing with it for a year now, at this point I know what I can and cannot do.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I'm dealing with a minor slap tear in my left shoulder right now. Judging by what hurts / what doesn't. Dunno, injuries happen from working out and it's just the reality of it. It isn't exclusive to just powerlifting. My friend is nearing 40 and has lifting for awhile now; perfect form and perfect mobility. He is nearing a knee replacement or some sort of surgury, just the reality of it unfortunately.

4. Coldsnap

On that note I subscribed to Darkside Strength membership. Really like the injury prevention stuff they have been making and hoping to use a lot of it this year.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. GraphicNovelty

I still play with stuff every now and then but those experiments usually end in failures lol. Just let me enjoy my rationalizations in peace!

2 people like this.
  7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Blah, I think not deadlifting has created an imbalance. My left hamstring has been feeling weird during squats and my form is a little off. I'm going to go back to SLDLs for a while and see if that helps.

8. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Have access to 4 large on-base gyms free for military what's up :hide:

9. Coldsnap

I mean your rationalization makes sens. You have history of a labrum tear in hip, acl tear, and a rotator cuff tear. That's pretty much covers all bases of being fucked and I could imagine that being very challenging to work around. We all have stuff to work around and it gets worse as we get older. Did you ever figure out what made you so injury prone? Something had to been weak or positioning was off, or you were just super unlucky.

10. GraphicNovelty

I think eason is the one with the hip tear. I just have a whole host of other injuries.

i'm bad at backing off if something hurts. That's how I got my pubic symphasis/SI Joint sprain/slipped disk (all of which were minor and I've recovered from, thankfully). Osgood schlatter is just genetic. I was also fitted for high arches (genetics). The labrum tear (drunken arm wrestling contest) and ACL tear (soccer) that have really sidelined me are injuries from life and not working out.

I think i'm just unlucky. as a kid i was uncoordinated, inflexible, and relatively unathletic; now i'm just built and mildly able to run but i still don't consider myself to have any natural athleticism or coordination (and my flexibility still sucks). I mean I have an easy time of building muscle and gaining/losing weight, and I have great aesthetic genetics (besides height) so it's a mixed bag and i'm not necessarily complaining about my lot in life--like I said I think i just have to face the music and focus on different aspects of fitness.

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

I had a WTF moment. Light weight pulled my right pec when warming up with the bar...Fuck it! Gonna plow through work out. Just benched 225x10. Was going for 12 reps.

12. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

The trick to preventing injury in the gym is to strengthen the susceptible areas and not waste your time in a quest for mobility or do ridiculous gypsy shit like nerve flossing.

1 person likes this.
  13. barrelntrigger

14. hendrix

Look it up. It's another one of those hilarious routines from the mobility crew that has zero basis in physiology.

15. barrelntrigger

Last week 245 was hurting my right pec. Today 225 was but after dropping down to 205, no more pain. I think I feel a knot in my right pec. Anyone has any experience rubbing it out without doing deep tissue?

16. Coldsnap

How can you strengthen an injured area or an area that is inhibited? Putting them under the bar and telling them to get stronger just doesn't work.

It was like $700 to see an ortho for my shoulder. Did jack shit. I paid $70 to see a chiro and he told me I have an ulnar nerve entrapment. Which explained a lot of things, two weeks of flossing and I was back to 100%.

17. hendrix

you could've just rested it for 2 weeks and you would've been fine.

Growing muscles and/or inflammation is going to cause some nerve discomfort at some stage. Fortunately, nerves are not a series of electrical cables that require pulling through sheaths or lubrication, and even if they did, they're moving all the time anyway.

They have a degree of cellular plasticity which means they adapt to a change in their surroundings.

Why would you see an orthopaedic surgeon?

18. Coldsnap

I was having some terrible trap pain and shoulder ROM troubles. I thought I tore something, I have no health insurance so believe me I did the usual RICE method / rest and seeing a doctor was last resort. I've been told for some reason muscle tissue and the surrounding nerves can become very adhesive and it's something which science cannot necessarily prove. Which is why shit like foam rolling tends to help but cannot be proven. All I know is I tried everything for like 6 months and a little bit doing movements that worked my ulnar nerve were hard and very strange feeling, but after a few weeks of doing it I felt great.

But saying people need to just strengthen areas vs working on mobility stuff isn't correct. Most people cannot even take a breath in properly.

19. Coldsnap

I realize though, you and me Hendrix have had this argument like 3x already.

20. hendrix

Yeah no point going through it again, I'm glad you're happy with what you're doing.

The only proven method of injury prevention is strengthening of the muscles and tendons themselves. So that should be everyone's number one focus.