1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree if you want to get better at deadlifting you need to deadlift lots. That's not my main goal (although I'm still seeing significant progress).

I'm not a powerlifter. I hit my glutes, lower back, hamstrings, upper back etc quite sufficiently with the rest of my program. Squats, RDLs, rows, pullups, leg curls etc.

I could actually omit deadlifts completely from my program but I enjoy them so I keep them in.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

Heard this before, but what is the logic here really?

3. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I think it looks good.
    As you say you should increase the volume a bit on the accessories like rows. No need to hit the arms a lot, but a couple if sets of bicep curls per week is good for elbow health. Direct tricep worl can also help for your bench press. Unilateral leg stuff like lunges, step ups and slit squats are good for imbalances and glute development.

If you feel your technique is good and you are consistent and confident with it, you could start to introduce variations of the powerlifts. If you have specific weakness in each lift (say sticking point or lagging muscle part such as the glutes in the deadlift lock out) these weaknesses will be ironed out faster with a varaition of the lift that targets and emphasize this weakness.
    Most people are weakest at the bottom, and if so, you could change one squat and bench press slot per week with paused squat and paused bench press. If your leg strength is lacking and you tend to squat with your back (good morning squat), you want to do front squats and high bar squats.

If you want to increase your deadlifts I think you can train it more often. Aside from the regular deadlifts you do one session, you could also do some light deficit deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts7good mornings on another day every week. Go light and for many sets on these if you go heavy on the regular deadlifts.

How does your progression plan look?

I think the powerlifts are good for general strength goals and to some extent for sports, but yeah, they are by no means the end-all-be-all for building muscle.
    The vast majority of bodybuilders who do not train them that much shows this.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I do before benching

5. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

I'm doing something similar, leaving Mar 1. I'll let you know. Probably just going to try to surf & hike a lot.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

How long are you going to Mexico for?

And Damn dude you shoulda come to the meetup!

7. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Push ups, chair dips, handstand push-ups, pull ups, chin ups, pistol squats and lunges. Focus on slow ass negatives and TUT in general and enjoy your trip. A couple months out of the gym might give you all sorts of gains when you get back into it.

1 person likes this.
  8. ridethecliche

I've never been able to do handstand pushups. I guess I can try learning over the next few months!

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

so what else is good for traps other than shrugs? Don't say deadlift. stuff for lower traps too. don't say facepulls.

10. tesseract

Now you have a vacation workout goal!

11. tesseract

Overhead carries, high pulls and really letting your traps and rhomboids stretch when doing cable rows.

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

I've been on ibuprofen for my elbow issue but i have no pain from the squats yesterday. If it takes some ibuprofen post squat workout to do that, then I'm on board.

Feeling excited about this if a bit cautious. Being able to do front squats will totally bode pretty Damn well for overall progress. Just doing hex deads once a week over the last month or two has really helped too.

13. conceptionist

So, I completed my third meet yesterday.

Weighted in at 200 lbs.
    Went 9 for 9 with PRs in bench and deadlift with room for more.

As some of you may remember, I had some problem with my knees last fall and I'm still ramping up the weights for squats and deadlifts.

Haven't squatted anything over 230 lbs since September and didn't want to risk anything yesterday so I'm pretty satisfied with the 300 squat.
    My old bench PR was an ugly 225 from a meet in Nov. The 240 yesterday felt a lot smoother and easier.
    My previous best deadlift was 330 from a meet last May. Again, 370 felt pretty easy.

My goals for this year was originally 375 squat, 270 bench and 400 deadlift. Judging from yesterdays performance, I think I'll reach it faster.

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  14. ridethecliche

Damn dude, you'll be at 1000 total before you know it!

Solid work. You looked super smooth on all of those.

Weird question: are hex bars, safety squat bars, etc allowed in competition?

15. conceptionist

Thanks.
    Yeah, my technique has improved a ton the last months.

No, IPF only allow the regular Eleiko bar and plates. No deadlift bar either.

1 person likes this.
  16. milosh

milosh Well-Known Member

Clean pull and snatch pull destroy my traps.

1 person likes this.
  17. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Yeah best bet for traps is the oly lifts. High pulls are great. If you don't want to do that then lay face down on an incline bench and do mid back shrugs. Or pendlays where you exaggerate the stretch and basically separate the movements. Relax lats and get a good stretch > pull shoulder blades together > then row > pause for a second

18. ridethecliche

I do shrugs with every one of my deadlifts. My shoulders/upper back are fucking wiped the next day.

19. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

I have a one-way ticket. Planning to make my way through Central America then who knows.

I went climbing today for the first time in awhile and climbed for two hours, I have a feeling my fingers are going to be insanely sore by tomorrow.

20. ridethecliche

Is there any evidence that varying grip for cable rows is helpful in targeting different muscle regions?

I usually use two flye handles so I have to work more with individual hands and skip the v-grip. Wonder if I should switch it up every few weeks.