1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The new years resolutioners are coming.

7 people like this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Lel.

Side note: Weekend was awful for eating and diet stuff. Totally off the wagon, but I did hit 4x5 with 195 for hex deads. Also, arms are like 15.25-15.5 right now.

Going to start doing more arm stuff because I want to 16, which is when I'll look like I actually lift. I never thought I'd feel small at 175 when I'm 5'10...

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

4. ridethecliche

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

It's on SD's front page... won't be surprised if it's sold out by then.

6. ridethecliche

Haha, just bought it.

A little pricey for what I need, but I guess I'll need a blender in the future so this is as good as anything.

7. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Obese flat mate is on that new year new me. Bought some mason jars to put her food in. Such women dieting, if I put my food in a cute jar i'll lose weight.

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Where in Mex? I'm going there for at least a month with a chick I met, let me know how it is.

1 person likes this.
  9. KingJulien

I stopped deadlifting altogether, but I was having (and still am, to some extent) a lot of trouble with the part of the hamstring that also acts as an adductor, and I'm pretty sure it was from sumo deadlifting. It feels better, but it's also easier to do wrong without realizing it.

10. ridethecliche

Hex bar brah.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Julien have you tried to strengthen that adductor?

12. KingJulien

It's pretty strong, or at least it's proportional to the rest of my leg muscles. I should probably just see someone. The one person I talked to said it's probably from a combination of sumo deadlift and overstretching, and just to foam roll it. Which has been helping a ton.

I don't really have a huge need to deadlift, so nbd. Would the hex bar actually help? I was under the impression that it's more for back problems, not hamstring problems.

13. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I used to get very sore in that region. 2 things have fixed that:

1. Using the hip adductor/abductor machine.

2. Narrower stance squats.

I don't do any foam rolling or stretching or any of that crap.

14. Coldsnap

Gah I'm having a hard time breaking 180lbs. I know the simple answer is to eat more but I only have so much to spend on food a week and I feel like I'm eating every free second. Cutting was way easier for me. Which was funny because all the non athletic fat people I know where like why are you gaining all this weight, it's going to be impossible to loose it. Guess I'll boil some eggs and eat those throughout the day. Already eating 6 eggs in the morning.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  15. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

why not just eat shit? eggs are hard to eat and low calorie/high satiety

1 person likes this.
  16. Coldsnap

I'm trying to keep it reasonably clean, but yea I could probably choose a denser food than egg. I ate pizza 3x last week :embar:

17. ridethecliche

Do you do shakes?

I used to use a cheap coffee grinder to grind up oatmeal and mix it in with protein and juice (subs juice too much sugar). You could throw in some peanut butter or olive oil for fat as well.

If I was trying a bit harder to gain weight, that's what I'd do. I'm sitting at about 175 right now and not really sure I want to go up more till I feel like my strength is plateauing. Also need a bunch more pants and maybe shirts cause everything is tight everywhere. Oy.

I've figured that whey is actually relatively cheap as far as supplements go when bought in bulk. I bet oatmeal flour etc is pretty cheap too. Easy way to get calories in between meals.

18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

CL recovery is going well. On to the second phase of my PT now that the swelling is down and most of my ROM is back. I'm maintaining upper body/core stuff with bodyweight/light weight (not to aggravate shoulder) and I'm staying fairly fit, but I definitely feel like I'm getting a bit soft (Probably hovering around 14%). I'll probably cut when my leg looks normal again.

I'm cooking like a motherfucker though, particularly because I started my new job on top of a wholefoods.

I came up with an excellent, veg-heavy quinoa pilaf that's a good vehicle for any sort of smoked/pulled/stewed meat.

2 c Quinoa
    1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
    3 c Vegetable stock.
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    Whatever spices you like
    Salt+Pepper
    1 Tbsp oil.

Rinse quinoa. Put oil in big pot over medium heat, put in garlic until fragrant. Pour in bag of frozen vegetables and brown as best you can (browning frozen veggies are hard because they're so watery), dump in quinoa and vegetable stock, bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and stir until the stock has been absorbed by the quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste

Recipe is easily doubled and frozen in portions.

19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's some chicken curry over the quinoa I made last night

20. Coldsnap

Yea, I'm eating about 100g of protein powder a day as it is. I eat the same thing every day, so this is what my diet looks like, maybe some people can find extra ways for some good cals. So I always have these structured meals and throughout the day I'll snack a bit on peanuts, a slice of pizza, maybe an extra meal if it's free or out with friends, or candy from friends. When I start to cut I will cushion carbs more strongly around workouts.

Breakfast - 5-6 eggs, 1 cup oatmeal with berries, coffee

Intra workout - 45g protein, 130g carbs

Post workout - Either Macaronnie and Cheese with a can of tunafish, so 100g carbs 45g protein and 11g fat. Or homemade tacos which equals about the same macros.

Dinner - Steak / chicken and potatoes and a green. Usually have desert like ice cream

Before bed - 45g casein prot and a glass of milk