1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Seems pretty odd to be able to to grow on those cals at that bodyweight. Its one thing if your workouts are going well, but are you actually gaining weight?
    I'm not gaining any weight with my current 3800 cals @ 200 lbs.

Also get what you mean with eating loads of boring stuff. I eat 5 lbs each of oats and pasta every weak (dry measure, ofc). On dat student budget.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not putting on tons of weight but I'm getting visibly leaner while gaining every week. Obviously I'm going to add cals soon but I've gone from 198-203 in 5 weeks so I'm good with that. I have been getting closer to 3,100 cals on leg days. Once I'm back at 206 I'll have to up them about 200/day but I've definitely become a believer that there is "something" to nutrient timing.
    I have protein and fat at breakfast, pro/carb/fat pre work out, pro/carb intra, pro/carb post and then back to pro/fat the rest of the day (usually 1-2 meals) except leg day when I have ~25g carbs in the 2nd post workout meal. I have ~250g carbs on training days and about 210 are pre/intra/post.
    Eating this way it seems I don't need as many cals to get better results.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  3. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

More dimsum. Guessing most of you have not heard of this, it's made of grated and boiled chinese turnips and rice flour, which are poured into a cake tin and steamed and then you cut slices of it and fry it. Put some chinese sausage and bacon in it. Kind of ugly food, but it's delicious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. conceptionist

I did pretty much the same nutrient timing a whule back when I went from cutting to bulking. Worked really well for staying lean when gaining weight.

Another thing that struck me, did you use to eat more carbs back and not split the nutrients back when you needed 3500 to gain? Carbs have a higher thermogenic effect than fat, so if you eat more carbs and less fat in a calorie surplus, you will gain less weight than if you ate less carbs and more fat on the same calories. The carbs burn themselves off as energy and heat. Fat does not at all to the same degree.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

nah I still use the same %'s
    40pro
    35cho
    25fat

On "conditioning days" it's
    50pro
    10cho
    40fat

I stay leaner with higher fat tbh. It depends what kind of fat you're eating but mostly I'm eating coconut oil, coconut butter, walnuts , almonds, grass fed butter and fatty fish.

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

So I've decided to take a month from doing squats and deadlift in order to make sure I've healed my back 100%. But I got to do something for my hammies and quads. So I attached my leg extension/curl attachment and started doing seated leg extension and lying down leg curls. But then I remembered someone on here saying lying down leg curls can put pressure on the lower back. So after jimmying with the attachment, I figured out how to do leg curls while standing. To further taking pressure off of my lower back, I lean forward and brace the bench to stabilize it while keeping my lower back tight. The fall back to that is I can only curl one leg at a time which is a no problem for me. So, what do you guys think about this? I know curls and extensions aren't enough to replace deadlift but during the healing phase, I think at the least I can do some maintenance work while my back heals. Thanks.

7. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

A month isn't too long, I'd just do sprinting instead.

8. barrelntrigger

Really? Experiences tell me with this kind of injury, it usually heals within 2 to 3 weeks. When I pulled my left pec, it took me about 3 weeks to heal. After that, I was barely benching 205 lbs. I'll give it an extra week just for good measures. I hate sprinting more than I hate jogging. lol I just love the feeling of adding load to my legs! Well, I have a min vacation coming up. I'm gonna try to do some light pulls when visiting different gyms.

9. conceptionist

Keep doing your leg extensions and leg curls. Add in leg presses as well but do not go so deep that your lower back starts to round. It would be better to do then with somewhat shallow depth. Do them all for high reps and many sets, like 4-5x15-20, with light weight. The lighter weights are safer for the back.

I'm don't know much about how sprinting cause hypertrophy (because that's still what you want) but my legs have continued to grow doing the above without squats or deadlift for the last month.

Maintaining size does not require much, but your strength in the squat and deadlift will suffer. You will most likely also have to start over with lighter weight and figure out what in your form that caused the back problem and make sure you do it right on light weights before going heavy again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  10. barrelntrigger

Dr. Conceptionist, thanks for your input! I don't mind starting over after my back heals. I've actually re-injured it a few times due to being impatient from doing pause deadlift when it wasn't at 100% yet...FML...I think when I was pulling sumo, my legs and gluts were fatigued from doing squats that I used more of my back to pull. That's when I pulled my back. I don't know how you guys feel but I feel I don't have as much of a strong stance in sumo than in conventional. Oh well, live and learn.

So, what do you think of doing single leg curl while standing vs. double lying down? Does the former tends to reduce pressure off of the lower back? Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  11. conceptionist

Lol, thanks for the Dr. title, I guess.

Sumo should be easier on the back since you are in have more upright torso. Maybe start out with them very light and make sure you push off the ground with the quads and glutes. I know one guy who strained his back doing conventional and has moved over to sumo's for that reason. But its a more technical lift, harder to get right imo. I remember someone preferred to teach them by starting to pull from blocks. Supposedly its easier to learn what they should feel like from the higher starting position (shorter ROM). You could try that.

You can't do seated leg curls? Do they also pull on your back? If you can get the standing leg curls right, I don't see a problem with them but I have never tried them or seen anyone do them so I'm not sure. One leg or two shouldn't matter at all. The leg that is lifting the weight doesn't know if the other leg is also lifting.

12. barrelntrigger

Well, when I started learning deadlift I would literally watch hours of instructional video on the conventional pull and I would pause and play them in slow motion really trying to get the technique down. After a few months of practicing, I got pretty comfortable with the form using moderate weight. But when it comes to sumo pull, I just said fuck it. I'll just do what I think it's right and then I pulled my back literally on the third session...FML! I just don't like the wide stance because I feel it's a weaker stance vs. your shoulder width stance. When I was doing martial arts, I prefer the slightly wider shoulder stance/fighter's stance than the traditional wide kung fu and karate stance. I get all wobbly with the wide stance.

I can't do seated leg curls on my home gym because it wasn't built like that. I actually prefer doing them seated...I just remembered someone on here said doing them lying down puts more pressure on the lower back so that's when I switched to doing them standing but bracing the bench with my arms so I'm bent forward. Well, standing leg curls are a guilty pleasure for me because I've only seen women do them. lolz. It's not a very manily lift. lolz But I feel they isolate the hammies so well. I think I have fairly weak hammies so after my back heals and I go back pulling conventional, I'll add them as accessories.

Oh BTW, I was told sumo pull works more of your gluts and conventional works more of your lower back?

13. conceptionist

Because of the more bent over torso, conv works your back more. Glute activation increases with wider stance so sumo's work those more. So you're correct. Anyway, conv are often recommended over sumo's if just size is your goal. You don't get the same back development with sumo's.

Although it could be an idea to switch to sumos if you have back problems, it seems like conventionals work better for you. Just keep doing them then and take videos of your form.

14. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

Easy DL PR last night - 3 sets of 5 reps at 295lbs. Struggled with the second set but on the last set everything clicked, could have done a couple more reps.

Grip is starting to slip but only when I don't have sufficient drive through the legs - end of sets, higher weights etc. I think it is more of a strength issue then a grip issue. May try chalk.

Have lost some weight, down to 180 from 210. Abs are visible. Probably 10% BF.

15. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Took the absolute best photo last night, but not sure if rhet/internet appropriate. It's of a naked girl lying across my bed doing like some gang sign in the background and my hand loading a syringe with half a ml of tren ace in the foreground. Her tits and vagina are covered by a pillow, but it's still a bit dodgy. Only thing that could have made it better would be if instead of a pillow covering her tits it was the rosenbaum and pearl investment banking guide. Shit would have been like fb cover photoable then.

16. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

I used to work for Rosenbaum lolz.

17. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Such a good man for helping legions of noobs recite answers to "how would you value this company?" followed by "how would you calculate WACC"

18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

you should post it fuji!

1 person likes this.
  19. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Brb trying to work out how to blur paces on photobucket.

1 person likes this.
  20. barrelntrigger

PM me uncensored pics plz.