1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jabster410

jabster410 Well-Known Member

Quote: Thanks. I've heard of Sheiko but never really looked into it. I'll check it out though.

2. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Picked this up yesterday

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Vrooom. I just put three new coats of wax on my car, so damn shiny. Took me damn forever.

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

I had my first golf lesson today. Never golfed. It was a bunch of fun, hyped to actually get good enough to play.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

@fuji
    she's going for her MPH at the school of trop med.

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Feels good purging almost all my size medium shirts. Hopefully I'll never fit a medium again at least until I'm retired.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

8. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

I am happy with my snatch progress.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Big pull, solid bar path, but I catch it forward on toes. This tends to happen when I got heavy. Music is for the hook grip vibes.

1 person likes this.
  9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

That's some awesome advice! What do you think of the ProgramingToWin novice program? I've been checking it out. I like the idea you do bench, squat , and dead lift three times a week. There are 3 phases in the novice program including a deload phase and a heavy phase. Any information on that would be appreciated!

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I think the PTW Novice Program is too specific. It lacks in variety and different movements. Its the same problem that SS and SL5x5 has, just repeating the same movements over and over again until they don't force as much adaptations from your body simply because it is used to doing them. The basic template of squatting, benching and deadlifting every session works. I just prefer some variety in the lifts by doig another version of them, say a front squat or snatch grip deadlift instead if a normal squat and deadlift again. Doing the exact same movements again and again is a recipe for overuse injuries and declining marginal benefit.

I think you should also add accessory movements to address whatever muscular, postural, mobility and technique problems you have.

I can only speak from my personal experience and my coach put me on a program with a lot of variety in terms of lifts, reps, sets, and so on, and I still consider myself an early intermediate lifter. I ldo 2-3 different kind of squats, 4-5 kinds if benching and 3-4 kinds of deadlifts every week. Every 4 weeks we change the programming just a little bit. All in all, I don't really belive in doing a set program until it stops working. That does not mean you should be program-hopping, but rather that you should have a long term plan and periodize your training into small blocks, each focusing on different things.

From what I've seen, the Powerlifting To Win programs are actually a set of programs that you should advance in between as your total grows. That would be a good approach, if his programs are sound in the first place.

As I've said, I'd rather do a system of programs that has been run by thousands of lifters in a country, has solid reasearch backing and has produced many lifters at the top international level. Sheiko is imo unparallaled in that regard. Izzy at PTW is simply not as qualified as Boris Sheiko thus he can't have made as good of a program imo. For more advanced lifters, I think Tuchscherers RTS System is great.

2 people like this.
  11. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Speaking of cars (semi recently), do any of you guys have experience with Plasti Dip?
    I've been wanting to black out the badges and wheels on my car but I'm kind of skeptical about how easily it will come off - I have a full warranty and service package and there's some shit in there about additional paint working voiding the paint warranty, if it peels right off like advertise then it doesn't matter but if it doesn't come off that easy I don't want to void anything.

12. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Erm don't suppose she's living in a flat in Holborn as I'm moving in with a girl I've never met moving from the states to do her MPH at the London school of hygiene and tropical medicine and it's a pretty small school if I remember,.....

I think she was from arkansas though or like missouri.

So excite for the winter, bulking goal is 240lb 20%. Will be so ugly and fat.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

I've used plastidip on interior pieces in the past. Holds up pretty well but I don't suggest using it on exterior pieces.. it's going to come off pretty easily and going to look like shit.

14. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Really? They have a pack that is supposedly designed specifically for alloy and aluminum wheels. It's like 3 cans of flat black and then 3 cans of the gloss. And then there's a "car trim" pack for plastic and metallic trim, again, supposedly designed specifically for cars/bikes.
    I've never used it and I've never known anybody else that has either,
    But when I started looking around for ways to do it 90% of the stuff I found was for plasti dip.
    So is it just like a rubberized silicone or something?

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

There are videos on YouTube, where the wrap entire cars and I know a guy who sprayed his sons entire car as a test for his business and it holds up well.

16. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

I associate Plastidip with ricers

My center console is scratched to shit thoguh. Might mess with it for that.

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Spending money on aftermarket stuff for your car is so stupid. I just cannot understand it and I'm a car guy. Keep that shit clean and keep it mechanically sound. That's more impressive to me than dumb mods that cost hundreds of dollars just to hardly increase performance.

18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

a close miss man.

ever tried widening your receiving position a bit and pointing your feet not excessively outwards, seems like there's that tiny bit of not receiving as low as possible there.

19. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

also official PhD student status achieved RHET brethen. expect fully to make zero progress in weightlifting for the next year.

6 people like this.
  20. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

If you cant understand dumping money into mods, you're not a car guy. I will go even further and say dumping money into mods and weightlifting are equally pointless endeavors. I.e. the exercise equivalent of "keepign it clean and mechanically sound" = doing light low impact cardio every day and eating right. Hobbies are hobbies... they're not supposed to be rational. Though I will say, modding cars is fucking expensive. I just spent $1K this weekend getting a brake upgrade done (needed to do my brakes anyway).