1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

the two gyms that I've gone to in itaewon have a squat rack (crappy one).. but have one at least.

not sure if the average joe would want to make the commute to itaewon from shinchon for a gym though.

having said that, I definitely would hah

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Ripped a big callus just now. This sucks balls. I'll just repeat that for good measure: this fucking sucks. Must not disregard callus maintenance from now on.

3. stinger70

stinger70 Well-Known Member

was 135lb now 149lb. Target is 168lb. Gaining about a pound per week and estimated around 7-8% body fat. Average probably 3000 cals per day with 100-150g of protein. I can finish 4 sets of 8 easily now with 16kg dumbell press so moving up to 17.5kg. Started on 10kg. No squat rack in the gym so i have to make do with 40kg. Doing a lot of pull ups and dips. Biggest gains are on my back lattimus muscles and chest. Going to take a while to hit my target, but you can only gain 1lb of muscle per week anyway so at least its all healthy weight.

4. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

the two gyms that I've gone to in itaewon have a squat rack (crappy one).. but have one at least.

not sure if the average joe would want to make the commute to itaewon from shinchon for a gym though.

having said that, I definitely would hah

man I sorta want to enroll in a single class at hongik just to get access to their gym (which apparently has horrible reviews because it's only free-weights and squat racks)

One more thing for you since I'm sorta too far out from cheap stuff being in the main city now. Where do you get your meat? I need some cheap meat, but also wondering about powder for protein shakes since I might need to go that route to get extra protein without bankrupting myself.

also let's say I'm completely fucked and can't get a squat rack... how much of a detriment do you think it'd be to make it up with low-weight squats+high reps, deadlifts, and seated leg presses with high weight? Hate even thinking of this situation but I can't afford to spend more than an hour a day commuting to a gym [​IMG]

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Everyone that does IF or cheat days that's willing, would you post up a quick summary of your plan? One sentence or 100 I don't care. IF isn't for me but I just spent like an hour looking over the theory and blogs and I'm fascinated to see the variety.
    Very simple. Weekday lift days: Might have coffee in the morning if I'm feeling hungry. Go to work. Break fast between 12-2PM. Snack around 3-4. 15g BCAAs Lift around 6-7 Monster dinner around 8-9 (~50-70% of daily calories; about a lb of meat; some carby snacks and a 60-70g whey shake) Weekday off days: Coffee is a must. Break fast w/lunch around 12-1 Casein shake around 4 Smallish dinner around 7 (maybe 1/2 lb of meat) Weekends (I lift both days) Wake up Depending on how I feel, break fast and/or coffee around 10-12 15g BCAAs Lift around 12-1 Medium meal around 2-4 Dinner around 8 So I don't strictly keep it within 8 hours... it varies more like between 6-10 hrs to avg out, but so far its been working alright. I'm in a very slow + controlled weird "bulk", been making strength gains but basically holding steady at 190# at my lightest weight during the day. I'm just getting into IF really because as TrH said it will be easier to cut when I'm used to only having ~2-3 meals within a short period.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

lf.

also let's say I'm completely fucked and can't get a squat rack... how much of a detriment do you think it'd be to make it up with low-weight squats+high reps, deadlifts, and seated leg presses with high weight? Hate even thinking of this situation but I can't afford to spend more than an hour a day commuting to a gym [​IMG]

You can def get by with that. Just stretch out and go as "deep" as you can with the leg press. Look into Goblet Squats with dumbbells. Overhead squats are good too and don't require a ton of weight.

You could just be a beast and learn to do a heavy clean and press, rest the weight on your shoulders when you come down, and then do squats. haha

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Do you guys on the IF or Warrior diets drink alcohol? How do you fit that into your "plan"?

8. Cool The Kid

I forgot where I read it but some cycling trainer (from Hungary?) trained his people by leg press. W/enough weight and good technique leg press is legit.

For IF I just factor in alcohol calories like anything else. I don't drink much anyway (maybe 3-5 drinks a week)

9. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Do you guys on the IF or Warrior diets drink alcohol? How do you fit that into your "plan"?

On the weekends or nights I go out I scrap any concern for health and drink what I want and eat shit processed food at 3 in the morning. I only really drink when I'm going out though, not just with a meal.

I can pretty easily do 12 pull ups now, should I start doing them weighted?

10. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

On the weekends or nights I go out I scrap any concern for health and drink what I want and eat shit processed food at 3 in the morning. I only really drink when I'm going out though, not just with a meal.

I stall with bodyweight exercises at a certain point. For pullups, I aimed for 3x12 but could only get to about 2x12, 1x8.

I began alternating between weighted and unweighted and it helped me increase the amount I could do.

11. APK

APK Well-Known Member

This is actually something I'm running into a bit of a problem with. I drink sparingly, but with IF and especially the WD, I've felt reluctant to compromise my plan for even a couple drinks in one evening more times than not. Drinking, for me, triggers cravings for shit food worse than almost anything else. I've subsequently avoided even having "just one or two" unless the situation demands it (i.e. going out for a friend's birthday).

12. Cool The Kid

I started when I could do 3 sets of 15. I jumped to 25#, and could only do about 3 sets of 6-7. Something else to keep in mind is, from a dead hang the added weight might do a little number on your bicep tendons. But it goes away after a while.

13. mrchariybrown

man I sorta want to enroll in a single class at hongik just to get access to their gym (which apparently has horrible reviews because it's only free-weights and squat racks)

One more thing for you since I'm sorta too far out from cheap stuff being in the main city now. Where do you get your meat? I need some cheap meat, but also wondering about powder for protein shakes since I might need to go that route to get extra protein without bankrupting myself.

I get my frozen boneless skinless chicken breast from foreign supermarket in itaewon. cheapest as it gets. 11,000won for 5kg. I have protein powder I brought from the states.. but if you want to buy it here, you're going to get crap quality (GNC and the likes) and it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. you can buy it at most large supermarkets like e-mart. I actually just sold off 5-pounds of highest quality whey for cheap by korean standards. if I had known you needed some, I could've sold it to you. if I feel I ever need to sell some of my protein (which I'm not sure will happen), I'll let you know.

as for squats.. it really depends on the person and what their main goal is.. if it's just to just stay slim and fit, you'll be fine doing leg presses and lunges. if you want to really do work, then there ain't a replacement for squats man.

14. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

^wow manwon for 5kg? that's frickin ridiculous. what is that like $8 for 11lb of chicken breast? I think pay like $15 for 5 lb of chicken breast.

forgot to take caffeine and yohimbine in the morning and wow that was a tough workout. could barely do last time's workout. worked my ass off and now am super tired.

15. mrchariybrown

more like ~$10/11 lbs. but yeah, it's pretty cheap. to be honest, once melted, it's more like 8 pounds, but it's still a good deal. especially for korea.

16. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the same thing. It's been two weeks since I've had a drink and I love craft beer so I decided to pop a bottle of founders double trouble. Can't help but feel guilty even if I have come under my calories for the week.

17. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Well-Known Member

I only drink on the weekends and I don't keep track of it, the weekends for me are pretty much what ever goes. I only take in about 4-5k calories saturday-sunday so its the only two days I consider cheat days. What APK said is true though, you start drinking and it's hard not to pig out on absolute shit food.

18. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

to be honest, to most people I probably looked better when I was a slim ~170 and leaner than what I am now (shown here).

This is pretty much my ideal physique. How tall are you again? I'm thinking I will be there at 5'9 160.

19. Dar FTW

Dar FTW Well-Known Member

will someone explain the logic behind consuming 10k cals a day on the off day for IF diet (or whatever diet this applies). does this level of gluttony have advantages to eating a more modest 5k cals or less? it sort of makes sense if the following day is a fast, but i'm a noob and don't understand how ingesting 10K+ cals is beneficial, especially when you guys mention eating stuff like ice cream, etc

20. mrchariybrown

This is pretty much my ideal physique. How tall are you again? I'm thinking I will be there at 5'9 160.
    5'11".. you could probably get that physique around 145-160. won't be too difficult as long as you're strict with your diet.
    will someone explain the logic behind consuming 10k cals a day on the off day for IF diet (or whatever diet this applies). does this level of gluttony have advantages to eating a more modest 5k cals or less? it sort of makes sense if the following day is a fast, but i'm a noob and don't understand how ingesting 10K+ cals is beneficial, especially when you guys mention eating stuff like ice cream, etc
    I find a huge difference eating under 10k and eating over 10k. <10k, it feels like I gave my metabolism a couple cups of coffee.. with 10k+ (preferably 12k+), it feels like I gave it a shot of adrenaline and 3grams of coke.