1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for going out of your way to hook us up with this. Now, besides having the knees over the bar, are there anything techniques he teaches that differs from what the online Gurus teach?

2. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Nah, not really.
    He gives me a few pointers every now and then but generally he thinks most people over complicate it.

Now that I think about it, he also think Rippetoes squat advice (and I mean the excessive sit back, low bar, hip drive, and Rip's neutral wrist position) is pretty bad, but most decent lifters and coaches who know they're stuff would prob agree on that. Its basically just a bunch of bad cues being thrown around online that doesn't apply to most people. I would say that tucking the elbows a lot in the bench is another misunderstanding, which actually mostly applies to geared benchers. You should tuck little bit, but not like bringing bar way down to the upper abs and turn it into a tricep press like some do.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Well my upper body is def growing; biceps, traps, especially delts, lats, and triceps and so is quads and VMO. But I've gone from working with 370+ in deadlift to 280 and 310+ in squat to 225.

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Nice CS.

I also lift way lighter weights now in comparison to when I did my own programming. Am able to lift with better technique, higher volume and more often while still feeling fresher. Up 12 pounds since Xmas and legs, chest and traps in particular have grown a fair bit.

2 people like this.
  5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

I think sprinkling in some high intensity low rep stuff is not a bad move. Why'd you switch?

I've been going back and forth and it's been kind of interesting. I have been on an all high rep cycle with extra arm work and my arms are def responding. But my ~8-10 rep bench has actually gone down. However my low rep squats have held steady. So IDK. I respond well to low rep stuff to a point, but then I get fatigued and burn out. I can do high rep stuff all day but certain movements don't respond to that. So I'm scratching my head on what to do.

How do you like it so far?

6. Coldsnap

I switched because I decided I wanted to be a better rounded lifter, instead of just focusing on the 1-3RM for another straight year like I did my first year of lifting. Current plan is to just cycle a simple bodybuilding routine and power lifting routine throughout the year. I think the combination of the two compliment each other well and it seems like a great way to stay balanced and uninjured. I tried to add bodybuilding type work into my program before, Greg helped me with that, and it worked but I was in the gym for 3 hours. I just wanna go in for 1-2 hours 4 days a week and make progress.

I'm only 2 months in and I started at the end of my cut from 200-174lbs, so I was already leaner then I ever been. The extra volume and that "pump" is really noticeable and I feel awesome. I caught glimpse at myself in a window yesterday while walking around and thought for the first time I might look like I lift, maybe. I hope it benefits my strength though, I'll know for sure once I get back to lower reps. I'm expecting a month of thinking I got way weaker, then the following two months I should be setting new PRs.

7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

if there's a point in my upper back/shoulder/infraspinatus/rotator cuff/lat that provides 110% relief to my elbow when i isolate and hammer with a lacrosse ball, but quickly stiffens up again as soon as i'm off of that point, what does that suggest?

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Interesting approach. I thought about doing that, but I feel like I would spend too much time acclamating to the "shocks". Then again I am "BBing" now and it took no time to adjust. Similarly my low rep squats are fine after a month of not doing them. That might be something. I'm still trying to see if I can have it all every workout, or maybe every other workout.

9. Coldsnap

Have you tried hitting that place 3x a day for a week straight? Sometimes that stuff can be extremely cranky. You never answered last time I asked if you went on a really high dose of NSAIDs for two weeks?

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Start off July 1st with my first rotation -- Medical ICU. Angus NOT peppered.

11. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

yeah i did NSAID drug abuse for a week straight but it didn't really do much. i mean it felt good day of, but didn't notice any lasting effects as soon as i went off.

im legit hooked on voodoo floss though. worked my calves and ankles before my run tonight and it took away that initial calf/ankle tightness/suck factor from the first 20 minutes of the run - i felt pretty limber. run was fucking great as a result. i think i want a hard copy of supple leopard, i have a pdf but i want a quick reference.

12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Gonna start doing lateral raises every day (maybe just 4-5 days/week actually). 25 reps morning, lunch, night. Will report back in a few weeks.

13. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

Doesn't this position just put more of the effort onto your quads and less onto the bigger hamstrings and glutes? The first tendency is going to be for your hips to rise in order to load the posterior chain, which you are going to have to fight with your quads. You're reducing hip extension by increasing knee extension,and hip extension strength is generally much stronger (and has a larger capacity for strength).

14. barrelntrigger

I don't know shit about how to deadlift but I've tried the method pictured above today and it kept my back straighter and I was able to pull the same amount of weight easier...Maybe that's because by bringing the bar closer to my hips, I used more leverage to pull? [​IMG]

I've read that during the set up when you bend down your shoulder blades should be directly over the bar. Won't that be easier to achieve by bringing the bar closer to your hips?

Nevertheless, it was easier.

Oh yeah, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  15. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

Its not an attack, i genuinely enjoy talking lifting technique and learning about different approaches to the lifts.

16. barrelntrigger

No, no, by all means, please share your thoughts and experiences. Like I've said, I don't know shit about deadlifts as I just started doing them 4 weeks ago, so I would like to try out different variations of the lift. I do have one very important question though, if I were to lift with my knees over the bar during the set up, would I run greater risk of injuring my knees when pulling heavy weight like 450 lbs and above?

17. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

And yet, here we are Barrel; instead of long back and forths with conceptionist about deadlifting, why don't you just deadlift more and figure our what works best for you.

18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Also don't worry about dead lifting 4+ plates when you can't even do 2

19. barrelntrigger

Were you speaking literally or figuratively?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  20. barrelntrigger

Thanks. I have been trying out different techniques and have found the one that conceptionist spoke of works best for me.