1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

What now what?

Anyone else following the Genova self implosion? :lurk:

Talk shit about people with family members.

2. msg

msg Well-Known Member

All the dudes in concept's vid look like they're 6'4. They grow them big up there.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Trying to find a gym next to my new place. Went to the YMCA and was asked to stop when I was repping out 315 deads. Found an awesome gym thats a quick bike ride away but it looks like its mainly for olympic lifters who are especially weak. Watched their training videos and good lord.

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Most guys were between 6" and 6.4" with a bodyweight of 190-230 lbs.

For the next meet in Nov, I'm aiming to be in the upper limit of the -205 class, so roughly 10 pounds to gain until then. After that I'll go up to the -230 class.

I think just putting 10 pounds of bodyweight on, fixing some techique errors and doing a proper meet prep training cycle will do a lot for the numbers. My training cycle was very volume heavy and light on the weights up until just last week. With a longer strength realization phase I might have gotten another 30-50 pounds on the total. Still very happy of course.

5. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Great job Concept! Just realised how fucking tall you're and I whole heartedly agree on the comments that where thrown around some months ago about you getting on dat dere and becoming an Ice Giant!

6. conceptionist

Thanks!

All PL clubs and competitions in Sweden are part of IPF.
    IPF have a very hard drug regulations and testing. PL in general is the most tested sport here just shy of soccer and hockey.

A positive result for performance enhancing drugs (just in training) results in a lifetime ban from competing and no club will accept you as a member again. You will also get a 1500 USD fine to your club and the club you're training for will be placed further down in the national rankings, so every lifter in your club will be penalized for your fault. Its even punishable to test positive for non-performance enhancing drugs (such as marijuana) in competition, although not in training.

No one got tested at the last competition, but they will do at nationals.

I get what you mean, but I personally don't want to take the risk or even use drugs to get better performance (and looks, hehe).

7. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Unless you get tested in training, which I'm guessing you don't since drug testing costs shjt loads and it would be insane to drug test everyone in every club then there's not really all that much purpose to drug test at competitions

8. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Sweden sounds like a drag. In New York people just hand you drugs for free and pop champagne bottles mid set. Living in New York is like a full time biggie video with power racks everywhere.

2 people like this.
  9. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Concept- Was just joking around; I know you're into drug-tested PL and I was more talking on the lines of Thor Bjornnson and Strongman [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Coldsnap

Bro i was talking like 300lbs!

11. conceptionist

They actually do show up randomly at clubs and take test every now and then. I don't know how often they've been at the club where I train but there's certainly been 10+ random tests at clubs around the country. Of course not everyone will be tested on those occasions.

I believe everyone is tested at nationals, but I could be wrong.

I just have no desire to do it since I don't think I need it to reach my current goal and no one I know and train with uses it.

Lol, yeah you're right.
    Its a bit naive to think that drug tested feds wouldn't be strict, no matter what country you're in. That's not really what I meant although I can see it came across like that.
    A lot of competetive lifters in the IPF do get caught though. The whole Russian team was excluded a couple years back. That doesn't mean that everyone who is on will get caught, they just take it seriously and the punishments are harsh. It could be the same in the American feds. I haven't read their drug policy.

1 person likes this.
  12. Coldsnap

What do you guys think, I've found that the rep scheme of 15, 12, 10, 8, 15 is a bit too much on the cardio side for the big three, that was my bodybuilding. Thinking of doing 12, 10, 8, 6, 12..

13. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

What percentages for these reps?

14. conceptionist

A certain amount of reps in a set is important for hypertrophy, but overall volume is more important. With the compounds, I'd rather do more sets with fewer reps. You get more setup practices and your IME, technique will in most cases be better with fewer reps, while I can also train at a higher percentage.

For the compounds, hypertrophy work to me means 5x5 at 75-80%, 5x10 or 10x5 at 50-60% and everything in between. 6x6 at around 70% used in Smolov.

Most people seem to agree on that at least 25-30 total reps should be done if hypertrophy is the goal. I would not do more than 10 reps per set for the compounds regularly. An all out set of 20 or more can be good for specific purposes. Like all these things it depends on the how the whole program is laid out.

15. Coldsnap

Gotcha, yea seems like research supports that overall volume is the biggest factor and rep scheme is just whichever one prefers.

I don't go by percentages anymore, just 1 rep under failure for the day.

16. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

IDK I dont like to pyramid. Hard to track progress

17. conceptionist

Yeah.
    I can't quote any studies right now but there's a good amount of stuff out there that supports it.
    Even if volume is more important than high vs low reps per, you should still do a certain amount of reps per set to get the most hypertrophy (is this called "metabolic stress"? not sure...).
    I don't think 10 sets of 3 is the same as 3 sets of 10, even though volume is constant. The reason the effect is different is largely because Time Under Tension is greater in 3x10. 10x3, on the other hand, might be better for strength purposes.

You should watch this if you haven't.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

ran 10k today in one hour and it felt... good? i dunno wtf is going on, strange feels brahs.

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Hollllyyyy shit that Elliot Rodger phaggot posted on the misc

1 person likes this.
  20. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Such a classic miscer hating women and not looking like he lifted.

1 person likes this.