1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Eggs are fine for breakfast, carbs are the devil to avoid during breakfast.

1 person likes this.
  2. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

You guys wanna do me a favor and critique my bros squats? He's taller (6'1) and says that high bar feels more comfortable and natural for him. He's lifting mainly for aesthetics anyway, so I think this is fine. He's only been squatting for about a month, I think it looks pretty good

2 people like this.
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

not bad, go forth and get stronk

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I'd break at the hips first but it looks decent enough.

Some taller dudes find front squatting more comfortable and I find the movement easier generally.

1 person likes this.
  5. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

It looks better than I was expecting. Very nice and smooth motion. Upper body is erect with no exaggerated arch or butt-wink.
    I've never seen a new squatter take such a wide stance before, and I'm not saying that in a bad way. Best newbie squat I've seen.

That said, I'd prob suggest he sits back just a bit more. Should be a more efficient lift with a smaller ROM while still getting the same depth. It will also involve all the muscles of the posterior chain to a bigger degree and when it gets stronger (its pretty much non-existent on most beginners), it is most likely also going to be a stronger position.

If he'd sit back just a bit more, it would ideally look something like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Your bros form is damn near perfect, WTF, I saw his long femurs and was expecting major good morning action but instead he sat down like he was squatting on a Smith mahine

Good weight too

Tell him to keep doing what hes doing

7. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

It's cause he's got a damn good coach ;)

But really I think it's cause he's been athletically active since he was a kid, so he's got good movement patterns and flexibility ingrained in him.

I'm happy to hear it though, and so will he, he just turned 16 three weeks ago, so he's got hella potential, gonna turn him into a beast.

8. conceptionist

Btw, he should get some better shoes because it looks like his feet lose their arch and roll to the inside. That could cause knee problems when the weights get heavier.
    No need to get lifting shoes yet, something like Cons or Adidas Superstars or Sambas will do.
    I could be wrong on the foot thing (hard to tell from the angle), but he should get better shoes anyway.

9. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

DYEL progress. Been doing a recomp while grasping as hard as I can to not lose too much strength. Another couple of weeks and I think I'm gonna try leangains instead of just dirty bulking like I did last time.

Highest weight I got to during this last year or so was 178-180lbs, I'm now 160-163lbs, but have kept my PRs at this weight or slight variances with the weight loss/recomp. I think I'm a little bigger/leaner than my previous 160 too. Still DYEL, but hopefully this next bulk is gonna last awhile and I take it slow to slap on some mass and strength. Especially upper body. My non-existent chest still needs work, same with arms, but I do feel bigger/stronger overall, lats most definitely got bigger, back is stronger overall, and my cardio is up to par now since I've mixed it in during off days.

DL - 455
    Squat - Was 355, now maxed out for a 335 (might need to try again with fresh legs)
    Bench - 225

[​IMG]

10. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Dat mushroom tip.

2 people like this.
  11. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

For RHET, always.

1 person likes this.
  12. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

This along with the sitting back thing you mentioned are my biggest issues with his squat.

The shoes actually are cons, but they're the low top versions and kind of old, and he doesn't lace them that tight. I think this contributes to the loss of arch.

Might be a good brother and pick him up a brand new pair of high top cons.

13. conceptionist

You could have him do some box squats to teach him good form.
    I do not mean box squats as in the Westside style, with super wide stance and almost vertical shins. Thats for geared lifters in multiply and shallow depth regulation.

For raw lifters, the box squat is often done as normal squats, with shoulder width or slightly wider stance, a slight pause on the box while keeping all the tension (not relaxing and sitting down causally on the box), and then letting the legs and hips do all the work to get back up. No "rocking" or tliting motion to get off the box and stand back up. Focus on sitting back while pushing the knees out to the sides and opening up the hips.

I've been doing them for 5 weeks now on my new program to learn better form and it has worked well.
    Go really light on those. I do 3-5 sets off 5-8 reps with 50-60% of my 1RM squat and thats pretty tough.

It should look like this:

[​IMG]

14. Coldsnap

I've seen Greg pause squat for like 4 seconds with nearly 600lbs in vans slip ons. Shoes dont matta!

but yea i also saw the arch lost at bottom too, good call

15. conceptionist

Vans slip ons are actually good flat lifting shoes so you're argument isn't valid.

Any shoe with a flat and non-cusioning sole is going to work. It just looked like Marks brother was wearing one of those really flimsy shoes like Keds.

16. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

injury bros:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan13.htm

the comparison between "itis" (thanks ribs!) and "osis" is bang on for me down to the last detail. without really knowing any different, I felt something like "tendinitis" was a vague and all-encompassing copout for "yep something's fucked up in that general area." I get that it would be hard to diagnose and any GP would take a look at the symptoms and label it as such, but this is pretty enlightening. also supports my finding and earlier question to TK that I felt no pain while moving through ROM extremely slowly, so it looks like I'm going to do some tempo-oriented stuff as detailed in the article and see how it goes.

6 eggs in butter and a triple aeropress erryday. yogurt cups are so delicious though, I can't help but have one early am when I lift first thing in the morning.

too bad eggs are fucking nasty in coconut oil though.

17. Coldsnap

Concept who's that dude squating in the video?

I can't keep my damn heels on the ground when I highbar squat like that, which aggravates me because thats how I'm squatting right now. It's not ankle or hip mobility or anything, i just haven't found my sweet spot like I have with lowbar yet.

18. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

RHET, where should I travel to this summer?

I'm visiting my Grandmother in Israel in July, afterwards I want to fuck off somewhere by myself and just enjoy the scenery, people, food and drink.

Prefer somewhere where I can communicate somewhat easily, so a place where people speak english is key, solid options to go hiking and exploring, cool and open people in general, since ill be by myself it would be nice to be able to meet people easily.

not that expensive, for a weeks stay ill probably have ~$1000 american to spend, don't mind staying in hostels whatever

19. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Deadlift PR tonight: 375x6. Probably had one more in me but didn't want to get greedy.

20. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

lol wat? at least you guys can save money by buying children's shoes

have you tried lifting in LA lights or roller-shoes?