1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Man, I really hate the fact that I can out bench and deadlift you but my squat totally pales in comparison haha.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

he train from child

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Levers.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

We all got our weaknesses :D My deadlift is pretty good, my leverages are the best for that. Gregs program has me training it pretty light though. I'd say for me it's Deadlift > Squat > Bench

5. Coldsnap

What weight are you at Mark? I've got 1 more lb to loose then I'm doing a month of maintenance. Sitting at 176lbs during the day after a few meals. 180 to 176 things started to get real sketchy in my lifts and recovery.

6. GraphicNovelty

Mark don't take this the wrong way but it seems like you might be just taking up powerlifting because you're bored with bodybuilding because you've been cutting for a while and need something that will interest you and hey half of the people on this thread are struggle powerlifters anyway so you can bounce ideas off of all of us.

Instead of just jumping down that rabbit hole perhaps you should look at different aspects of fitness (yoga, running, cross-training, playing a sport etc.)

1 person likes this.
  7. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

190 currently, down from 208 at the beginning of February, around 17%, hoping to get down to 175-180 by June, which I totally think is possible.

Things are still pretty stable for me, lifts still going up, recovery is fine. Good cut so far.

8. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I can see why you say that, but powerlifting genuinely interests me and is something I want to pursue, at least in a recreational sense. Bodybuilding as in going on stage and posing is never something I wanted to do, I just like pursuing aesthetics.

9. Coldsnap

Shit mark 190lbs! I can't wait until I'm 190lbs again.

Re: Olympic lifting, even though it was like 3 1/2 years of me sitting on my ass after oly lifting I still have decent wrist flexibility. I usually don't wear a belt for these but I over did the ab wheel the day before and could hardly contract my abs.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. GraphicNovelty

turns out i won this promotion to be styled by michael bastian at uniqlo.

6 people like this.
  11. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of dudes at my gym squatting 3 or even 4 plates with at most a belt and no fancy shoes, so I haven't seen the need to buy any gear.

2 people like this.
  12. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Maybe the 3 plate dudes would be able to do 4, and the 4 platers 5 if they added some equipment to their arsenal. Another way to think about it.

1 person likes this.
  13. Coldsnap

Don't even know why this is a discussion. Knee sleeve don't necessarily add any sort of weight to your lifts, they keep your knees nice and warm and healthy. EMG studies show that with a belt on your abs actually contract harder along with glutes, quads, and hamstring. Weightlifting shoes help with ankle flexibility and changes the squat mechanics a bit, but you could wear chucks and have a more posterior dominant squat and that's fine. Eason is just being a sour puss.

3 people like this.
  14. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

You can put in your numbers here to see how long it will take you: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
    With the info I got, it seems like you could reach 12% bf @ 180 in June or 10% @ 175 in July.

I've said it before, but I don't think anyone believes you "need" gear. That's never what its been about and its not the reason why own a bunch of stuff.
    I bought it because it can give my a small benefit and I think its fun to have.

Also, if you're gonna compete in any strength sport, its prob in your interest to get out as many pounds as possible from the lifts. In that regard, gear like a belt and lifting shoes will def help.

I still believe you shouldn't overuse the gear in the training cycle. I don't use my SBD knee sleeves anymore since they almost work like a knee wrap and thus the smaller stabilizing muscles around the knee don't develop as they need to, which could lead to knee issues later. In the same way, I don't use lifting belt unless I really need it. I will only start lifting with those when the meet gets closer.

Also need to point out that SBD knee sleeves are stronger and more constricting than Rehbands. I think you could train with the Rehbands the whole time and not get underdeveloped muscles around the knees. This is at least what my trainer told me.

1 person likes this.
  15. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Down to 180. Will prob weigh in at 179 tomorrow. Will be mixed feels...shredded but DYEL skinny phaggot. All my gains melting away.

16. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I've read on some forums, that guys use the rheband for every day training, and then throw on the SBD sleeves at meets and in competition as a little secret weapon type of thing. Could be a good strategy.

17. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Man, you guys really like to overthink some things.

9 people like this.
  18. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Yes, I've read that too and I think it could be a good but very costly strategy. Anyway, I'm just gonna lift with them off all the time up until the weights gets heavier and the cycle is about to end. If you want to keep warm you could just wear compressions tights and long johns. I do that.

Is this directed to me now?
    I've had knee tracking issues and my coach specifically told me to start squatting without them as they take out some of the stabilizing aspect.

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

On another note I pulled 5 plates again at 181lbs yesterday. It gets easier and easier every time with faster and faster bar movement. Doing some foam rolling and mobility work actually helped quite a bit. I am setting a goal for 6 plates by the end of 2015. Gonna go on a bit of a perma-bulk after this comp and hover around 195-200 for a while and just try and get strong as shit.

1 person likes this.
  20. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Nope. Everyone.

Perma-bulk.. but going to only hover 195-200?

.... I don't understand.