1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Try power flyes.

2. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Indesertum-Hey man; if you could it would be helpful to know what equipment you have at your disposal at your gym/home. Though in the long run you will get far greater benefit from going to a gym with a decent range of equipment.
    If you have nothing besides dumbbells, bench with them, shoulder press with them,db row with them....whatever; if you have a pullup bar just continue to get better at them (if you dont have one get one, you can find them pretty cheap; or make your own if your into that kinda thing).

Btw hyper bench is hypertrophy bench (more volume), while power bench is (less volume, more intensity).

EDIT: Learn some basic nutrition as well, will help you out for most people that just means eating a little more. Also would be helpful if you stated your goals-if your into 'runnin'.

Any tips for elbow tendinitis? Just been doing the bike tire/voodoo which has helped. Just take some time off pressing?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Have you wrapped your elbow? Not with some 2mm neoprene shit from a pharmacy, I mean a proper heavy wrap. I find that those really help.

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Pretty much dumbbells and machines. What about leg work? I was thinking squats with dumbbells

5. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Nah only have a pair of SBD elbow sleeves, might have to borrow some form a friend and see if they help.

Indesertum- If you have a leg press machine and/or a ham curl use those combined with dumbbells for goblet squats; even if legpress may not be 'functional' it will do more for your legs than dumbells will so go with that followed by goblet and hamcurls. But ultimately try get some more equipment [​IMG]
    EDIT: Ho lee fuk!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  6. msg

msg Well-Known Member

Had a similar injury a while back. In my case, it was actually piriformis. Lots of stretching; hot bath and heat helped too. Got several massages from a physical therapist, which helped as well.

Took about a month to heal.

7. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Crazy squat. I noticed his hand placement is pretty far apart, i've read that it's better to try to have a narrower grip, helps with upper back tightness?

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

why oh why do people have to write anything using poverty tier software like MS word.

9. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

Correct. Just try to hold bar with wide vs narrower. In order to accommodate that narrower grip, your upper back is forced into that natural tightness.

Believe some find a wider grip to help keep a large open chest?

10. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

If you have enough upper back muscle you don't really need to keep it as tight to make a shelf. I'm guessing a lot of the bigger lifters don't have the mobility to get there hands that close either.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  11. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Accidently uploaded a pic of myself in underwear onto my public fb wall today. Oops.

12. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

I've been completely out of the gym for two weeks. Getting back into the groove today. Just got so bummed after I hurt myself that I never went back haha. Been getting a lot better at tracking cals, though, which is good, though my weight isn't really moving at 2300 kcals which is weird. Thinking about going down to 2000 but that'll be tough, might need EC for that.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Weight * 15 - 750 = lose 1.5lbs/week

14. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

TK - that's based on you going from your bulking cal intake (+500?) directly to cutting, right?

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Yep exactly.

On another note, MySpace angle + lighting progress pic

[​IMG]

16. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

That'd bring me down to 2100 kcals. Maybe I'll try that, thanks.

17. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

Probably. IMO, they probably tried both at some point in their lifting career and decided to go with a wider grip because they found it work better for them.

On another note, I've been trying a new bench routine for the last weeks and it's been working great! I was stalled on my usual shit( ramp to a heavy 1rm, then 2 sets of 6) so I decided to try something new that I've read on some website.

Basically, you ramp up to a 1RM, then do 6 reps then another 1RM (hopefully a little heavier), then 6 reps, etc.
    1 rep, 6, 1 , 6, 1, 6

For example, last session was like this:

All with a good 1-2 second pause
    260 x1
    220 x6
    265 x1
    225 x6
    270 x1
    230 x6

My goal is to break 285-290 with a good pause in the next few weeks. Will see how it goes but so far so good!:nodding:

18. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Question, when you're taking the bar off the rack in a squat, how far should up should it be? Should it be just enough that I can get under it, stand up and after a walk i'm in position? Roughly chest height?

19. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

High enough that you don't have to bend down too much. But not high that you need to tippy toe out or bang against the hooks.

1 person likes this.
  20. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I've seen it described as collarbone height.

1 person likes this.