1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

This^

No need to use anything unless you're going for contest shape. Even then, it's not necessary.

I'm gonna attempt 5% without anything except yohimbine.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Godspeed you :slayer:

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Just ordered 3 double meat protein style burgers sans cheese and spread no fries,... Good/bad? Iunno

Edit: and a bowl of long grain rice with yellow coconut curry

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

what kind of post is that?

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Just finished the " pull "day that GN suggested via PPL and is my post work out meal. This curry is very bland finding it hard to eat. Adding he coconut was a bad idea but I guess it has it's benefit similar to coconut water that crossfit loves

6. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Really starting to loathe shoulders day, progress stalling, and it's just really boring, I need to switch it up. Someone recommend a shoulders workout please. Mainly looking for building strength.

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

You could try to hit shoulders on more days to get more times for growth in.

One method is to do a shoulder press for a couple of sets at the end of each workout.
    If you're doing a 5-split or something similar you could move to a upper/lower 2-3x or a week to get more frequency.

If you're looking to build strength I think something like a heavy standing OHP or Push Press for few reps per set is the way to go. Benching heavy will also build lots of shoulder strength so you could try to simply bench more often.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  8. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

god damnit everything you say is nonsense.

9. conceptionist

In what way do you think it's nonsense?
    My post may sound like "this is the only way to do it", and that is def not what I think.

I got the impression he did a typical BB-split (ton of volume on one muscle in one day then rest it a full week) and if that hasn't been working well to get the shoulder development he wants, upping the frequency could be a good change. It has been used by many bodybuilders for lagging bodyparts.

Gonna edit that post now to improve the phrasing

10. tesseract

Between the mark hitting 10% bf on two weeks and the low volume for shoulders I just feel like everything you say is wrong and not based on any real life experience.

11. conceptionist

What?
    I did not say Mark was gonna reach 10% in two weeks, I said its prob only gonna take him two more weeks to reach 10% without any drugs in comparison to if he was on any.

And no, I did not say he was gonna reduce volume. I said he could split the same volume in that "shoulder day" into more sessions. Lots of studys (ex that norwegian one we talked about recently) shows that naturals do better with higher frequency than lower for the same volume in total.

Those two recommendations come directly from personal experience. I cut down to around 8% while not losing strength with no drugs last year and all my lifts increase faster since I've made the switch to higher frequency, going from a split to full body.

Anyway, all of the stuff I say is based on other peoples recommendations and science. I know I don't have enough experience to construct programs or give advice solely based on what I've done.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

The only movements I'm doing for shoulders are standing BB press in the 4-5 rep range and the lateral raise machine in the 8-10 rep range. I love it. Works really well. My shoulders have never been stronger. I hit them 2x/wk as part of my upper body routine. Personally I think dedicating a day to each body part or even push/pull doesn't make sense. I get a lot more bang for my buck doing less movements more frequently. You on;y need 2-3 days for body parts to recover.

13. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I dunno what y'all are talking, shoulders are my favorite thing to work out.

14. tesseract

Where did you get the two more weeks number? You made it up. You also lost 15 lbs as a 6'3 ectomorph you do not know what cutting stubborn fat is like.

15. conceptionist

Yes, I made it up. It was just to get my point across, that you just have to cut a bit longer, and wasn't to be taken literally.

I may be genetically disposed to lose fat easier, but the last 2 pounds or so took a month for me to lose, so those were def stubborn.

I don't really know what you want to get out of this discussion. Are you just trying to discredit me? I don't see how thats productive for anyone. I try to help people who are looking for advice. It would be more helpful for those people if you could also offer some advice. I have no hard feelings for you but you've obv already made up your mind about me so I'm not gonna argue any further.

16. tesseract

I just feel you are giving advice you aren't qualified to give. No hard feelings. You just come off as someone who read a few books, made some noob gains and is now trying to help people in areas you have no experience.

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

My shoulders are a fuckin joke

18. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

You mirin brah? This was last summer, pre dreamer bulk. Hopin they're gonna be juicy once I cut [​IMG]

19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I haven't done a shoulder pressing exercise in over a year and they still look great ^_^

Do a kettlebell routine, that'll build you shoulders that never seem to go away.

In fact, I highly recommend everyone to take like, a few months off of lifting heavy and do a ton of kettlebell shit. It was probably my favorite of the "oh shit i'm injured and can't lift heavy" phase. (Which has happened 4 different times...fml)

20. conceptionist

Alright, I can see how I come off like that too.

I will be a more hesitant before I give advice in the future. I don't see anything wrong though in say explaining the typical Leangains protocol to someone who doesn't know how it works. Time to move on.