1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Why do you want sugar after lifting? I don't really eat much sugar at all (besides fruit) simply because it's not in anything I'd normally eat, and I take coffee black.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Yea I try to keep it under 150g/day which is still damn high. When I do my cut I will drop that down to like 50g a day

3. KingJulien

Yea looks like I have 35-70g usually.

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

We (well at least I) don't mean pure sugar. Carbs are basically sugar.

The best form of carbs post workout is high GI carbs in the form of glusose, found in stuff like potatoes, sweet potatoes and white rice. Simple carbs like white bread and cereals are also ok. You want to limit fiber and fat at this time since they slow down the absorption of the nutrition. Higher GI with lower fat spikes insulin which is a strong growth hormone, and by using it post workout this growth is targeted to the muscles (simplified). If you spike insulin heavily while your body is not in an anabolic state, this growth hormone may lead to weight gain in form of fat (again, simplified). This could explain why carb heavy diets get inactive people fat but works for people who lift.

Some sucrose are ok post workout, as is fructose. Fructose is stored in the liver (in contrast to glucose) and when it gets full, the extra fructose intake above that point gets stored as fat. The limit for fructose in the liver is something like 50g of pure fructose (note that not all carbs from fruit are fructose; I believ a banana is 50/50 glucose/fructose with 20g net carbs, making one banana only 10g fructose). The whole "fruit makes you fat" myth stems from this, but as you see you have to eat quite a lot of fruit to reach that point.

If you don't want to spike insulin as hard, it would make sense to eat lower GI carbs (more fiber) and more fat in the meal. That's what I do on rest days.

Another important thing to note is that the more fat you eat on a calorie surplus, the more fat are going to be stored. Fat in surplus gets stored as fat. Thats the reason Berkhan advises low fat on workout days on his recomp protocols and why old school bodybuilding bulking diets were very low in fat. It could also explai why "dirty bulks" lead to more fat gain; fast food is not very bad in itself, but if you eat a lot of it, you get a ton of unhealthy fats in your diet. so if you hit your calories with higher fat instead of more carbs (like dirty bulks usually do, you could gain more fat).

If minimal fat gain on a bulk is a concern, research suggests that overeating carbs with low fat is the best strategy.

Edit: 35-70g sugars is ok. I'm prob higher on my workout days when I get 600g of carbs.

TL;DR - glucose is good, don't eat a shit ton of fruit and simple carbs. Don't eat a lot of fats on a calorie surplus - basically common sense.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Conceptionist, I forget do you lift fasted on workout days?

If not how much carbs do you take in preworkout?

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Man.. some of you guys over-think this..

6 people like this.
  7. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

Welcome to RHET Charly, are you new? :hide:

1 person likes this.
  8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I like BCAA's for lifting fasted. Maybe with some creatons. Dat leucine tingle.

9. KingJulien

I was under the impression that nutrient timing didn't matter at all. I just eat when I'm hungry? I mean you're recovering from a big compound lift for like two days so it would make sense that what you eat immediately after doesn't really matter; I'd be curious to see evidence to the contrary though.

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Haha, I know what you're saying.
    I enjoy reading about this kind of stuff and have no problem trying it out and integrating it into my life. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, I scrap it.

At some point though, all this optimization and scientifically "best way" becomes too much. Like in the CBL book, he advises people to do 3 shakes a day consisting of pretty much only expensive supplements.
    I like to read about that kind of stuff in my free time and learn the theory behind it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to integrate it.

When I write this, I assume you understand that you can get prob 95% or more of the same results with very basic guidelines, like just making sure you hit your macros everyday and not caring beyond that.
    If it doesn't interfere with your progress, I don't see any harm in studying it.

I hope you guys don't think I'm shitting up the thread. Just say so if that's what you think and I'll keep my ramblings down.

11. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

If i cut my carbs drastically during a cut i deflate. much rather eat close to maintenance and incorporate HIIT training days until i start stalling out.

1 person likes this.
  12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

i scoop about 60g of pure sugar in my workout shake :slayer:

13. KingJulien

14. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Nah, I appreciate that you've done all the research already so that I don't have to.

Keep it up.

5 people like this.
  15. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Agreed - FWIW, I'd love to have @conceptionist as a nutritional consultant. dude knows his stuff.

1 person likes this.
  16. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

I will def incorporate some cardio, but I'm looking to let my diet do the heavy lifting on the cut. 3500kcal per week of cardio will kill my gym performance, I've done it before with terrible results.

17. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I'm gonna make some pre-cooked, frozen meals with my gf who's trying to cut. Her calorie goal/day is 1400 cals, so i'm thinking a 400-500 calorie meal is worth it?

i'm thinking bottom round barbacoa/pot roast + quinoa + some sort of vegetable.

18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Fuckin A. Bedroom pipes flooded, getting my beloved king futon mattress soaked. Now it has mold and I'm coughing like a mother fucker and my back hurts because I slept on an air mattress last night. Squatting 250 x 10 x 3 is gonna suck today.

19. speedy4500

speedy4500 Well-Known Member

:wow: Is this real life?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

:worship: :worship: :worship:

20. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

that's from 2012 from the run up to London

beastly nonetheless, the clip where he makes like 196+240 in training is also pretty fucking ridiculous

1 person likes this.