1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

My weightloss goal of 2014 is to loose like 1-2lbs of fat.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think jarude's right on this one. Maybe I'll snap pic later, but it's really fucking killing me mentally :( Still some belly fat to drop too, so hopefully it will all start going soon.

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

I bet if you drank an extra gallon of water tonight they'd be much smaller tomorrow.

4. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

Is there any good reason why one wouldn't just use albuterol to cut?

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

If you're concerned about strength loss you def want to cut slowly. My cut last spring was probably around 1 lb a week of weight loss, with most of it coming off in the first month and then almost being stagnant for another month. A slower cut is also less catabolic.

A higher carb intake will also help maintain performance. Keto is very good for weight loss but shit for most athletic activities, so I would either eat a moderate amount of carbs every day or just eat carbs around the workouts (pre and post) like IF.

I actually made strength gains the whold time apart from the last two weeks so cutting wasn't that tough for me.

Hunger will be a problem coming from a bulk. Gradually decrease calories. Eat more protein, fiber and satieting foods. If you're smart with your food choices and timing, you will still be full.

1 person likes this.
  6. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

dem cramps + tremors and it just feels kind of weird being on a beta antagonist or whatever that group of drugs is called. You have reminded me though that since i have started my cut I should consider some.

7. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Lifting at this new gym has exposed me to all kinds of circuit training retardation. I don't have anything against circuit training outside of the fact that its impossible to take 15 untrained people and properly teach them typical compound barbell movements correctly. "OK, who here has bench pressed before?" :confused:

I guess its a wash since I've never actually seen weight on a bar given that the movements are only being performed for time in complexes. Still, I'm sure there will be a day when someone breaks themselves doing a poorly-executed push press or sldl.

The trainer today actually had them doing a circuit that made sense up until the walking kettle bell swings which I didn't quite understand.

8. Coldsnap

Been making my own dough and baking my own bread. Hoping that the lack of preservatives, sugar, and fat will aid in my weightloss goal.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Doubt it.

10. Coldsnap

I think it will, comparing lean bread macro-nutrients vs store bought bread.

11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm well on my road to hitting a 650 or more in May.

This is a PR btw.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  12. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Dat double overhand grip...

13. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

What's worse than WAYWT talking about fitness? The thrift thread talking about fitness. Jimmies have been rustled.

1 person likes this.
  14. Coldsnap

Jarude what did you squat, 225 x 16? Last week %s put my 12+ day at 205lbs, maybe next cycle. That's still brutal though.

Nice pulls Charly. Form is looking solid

15. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice regarding cut guys, gonna take it nice and slow, keep protein high and follow IF protocol regarding carbs like conceptionist said, hope all goes well.

16. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Just a hook grip! :D

Thanks. I think that's been the main culprit for my sudden increase in sumo numbers. Been working on getting my feet out wider and get hips closer to the bar. Can't get any wider with the feet without a big chance of cutting off my toes haha.

17. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

You're a beast, how much longer do you plan on staying natural?

18. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

So one of the things I sort of always knew but Charly re-iterated was the need to have a solid structure to your workout. I think from a pure aesthetics-driven standpoint it's less important, but I think after this comp I'm going to really focus on putting on size and strength for at least a year before competing again. I also realize when I start my new job in July the amount of time I can spend in the gym is going to drastically decrease.

I've been trying to figure out the best approach for packing on some strength/size and not spending 2.5 hours in the gym each day. Wendler's 5-3-1 4-day bodybuilding split looks really promising. It would decrease the amount of working sets I do per workout from 30-40 down to 19 with most of that coming from assistance work.

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Ahh hook grip explains it...still mirin hard though.

When you say "hips closer to the bar", is that somewhat synonymous with your upper body being more upright?

20. Coldsnap

5-3-1 with bodybuilding like assistance work is where it's at.