1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

What was he doing when he was injured?

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was blunt trauma directly over the spinal column resulting in a shattered vertebrae and severed cord. :(

Guessing the bar came directly down on him though I haven't seen the injury.

edit: He was doing touch-and-go snatch for a triple from what I've heard on other websites

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Ah gotcha. I've had the bar crash on my like that it's a bit scary. I thought it was from compression during a squat, so i can rest easier. Too bad for him though, seems like they raised a ton of money to help him.

4. Coldsnap

oh good lord there's a video. I need to stay off facebook

5. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

link it phaggot

6. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Was the injury from dropping the weight on a miss? Yikes

7. gort

gort Well-Known Member

edit: Tough to see what happened.

8. Coldsnap

overpulled and it crashed on him

9. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

thats fucking awful

i will never bitch about any injury again ever

2 people like this.
  10. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Sucks what happened to that guy, be careful brahs.

What's a good accesory exercise to help develop speed and power out of the hole in squat?

11. Coldsnap

12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

^ 3+ second paused squats are humbling as fuck

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Do warmups and/or lighter hypertrophy work faster, and ditto to the pause work (helps you not good-morning the weight out of the hole also, if you're strict with it).
    That injury is horrible :( Scary thinking how easily that could happen too.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  14. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Don't want to push this PL gym down your guys throat all the time, but there's some more stuff I thought could be worth sharing.

Here's some videos of the place and the guys training there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been thinking about a long term development plan for my lifting.
    Currently doing ICF 5x5 (basically Stronglifts with accessory) just to get a lot of volume in and practice the main lifts and build up my work capacity. Adding 5 pounds on 5x5 squats 3 times a week is starting to get diffcult. Couldn't do 5 reps yesterday so did 6 sets of 4 at 245 instead. Will have to do smaller increments pretty soon and maybe switch out one of the squatting sessions for lighter front squats or pause squats.

Thinking about turning over to Madcow or Texas Method when I've milked this routine and can no longer get daily progress. Would like to switch to a program that is as similar as possible to what I'm already running. Anyone here have experience with those two programs?

Another option would be to run one of the entry Sheiko templates. While they're mostly considered programs for advanced lifters in US, they're actually one of the go to beginner PL routines over here. Quite surpising, but makes sense since they feature a lot of practice at low intensities to get solid technique.

1 person likes this.
  15. gort

gort Well-Known Member

The guy who got hurt was thick solid tight too. When you read an article like that you assume it's an inexperienced lifter trying a dangerous lift like the snatch.

1 person likes this.
  16. speedy4500

speedy4500 Well-Known Member

Looks like the weight was a bit behind him and couldn't hold it coming up, fell backwards onto his ass and didn't push away from the barbell, which then crashed onto his upper back. Being that he was dumping, he wasn't braced for the barbell hitting him again. You can definitely see the moment when he legs just go "numb" for lack of a better word. I looked at other videos of him and he appears to have fairly sound technique. I often take ~300 lbs from overhead to front or btn rack, but that's under complete control of the barbell, my entire body engaged to receive the weight, and legs to help cushion the impact. I guarantee that this guy has also frequently did similar things, but in this case he just was not prepared at all to have the weight come onto his body at a weird trajectory and sheared or compressed his spine in a really REALLY bad way.

I've never been one of the Crossfit hater bandwagon peeps, and ultimately it is the athlete's decision to partake in these events, but in the case I think the Crossfit leaders need to re-evaluate what they're doing. Having a 3-rep touch-n-go snatch for max load as one of nine events in a three day competition is pretty absurd. Hell, 3-rep touch-n-go snatch for max load is pretty ridiculous in and of itself; you ask any good weight lifter and one of the most important factors to making lifts is staying tight throughout and hitting positions. If you're doing touch-n-go, you're going to be all out of whack. Combine a dangerous movement with fatigue and you're asking for problems.

It is sad to see this incident and to see how Crossfit has evolved. What used to be a bunch of people trying to get into shape using all different kinds of exercises, that had substantial education and demonstration, and that had at least a modicum of methodology, has evolved into a "sport" that invents bizarre "exercise movements," worships blood and danger, ridicules people who don't put their bodies on the line, and then prides itself on these aspects. It is a shame, really, because the "old" Crossfit was pretty good. I dabbled for a bit back in like 2006-7 at a point when there were no "Games" or competitions, no "WODgear" stores or Crossfit targeted supplements, just people who thought it was fun and wanted to be in better condition.

17. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Day 5 of cut:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Coldsnap

Yes, the body has some amazing mechanisms to get out of the way of danger. Everyone who has missed a snatch over head has experienced this: either jumping forward at lightning fast speed, pushing the weight forward to dump it in front of you, or somehow pressing against the weight so it only mildly crashes on you. It seems like this fight of flight mechanism decreases a ton if you're doing some sort of metcon then olympic lifts. I'm not saying Crossfit is to blame either, but I'm not sure if doing tabata 3x then max tripples on snatch was a smart idea.

19. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

5 days in and already more aesthetic than me. Going to look good TK.

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

so weird question: i noticed that once my thighs reached a certain size, i could no longer poop no-handed because i couldn't fit my twig 'n berries between them and pissing whilst sitting down became an issue.

has this happened to anyone else?