1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

5'7 hovering around 205

405/335/445 right now. Higher volume has gotten me growing very nicely.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

lol VLSI

Yea, 5'7"!

1 person likes this.
  3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Pretty similar but only 5 pound jumps on bench usually.

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Are you still squatting in the bench rack? If so the wide stance might be the issue.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

What does unracking the bar from an incline bench rack have to do with my wide stance?

Also, forgot to mention I've been using K-stars tip of toes forward (feet straight ahead) even with a wide stance. Reading some criticism of that que has me thinking that it's the cause of my knees going in (feet pointed straight ahead makes hip abduction more difficult) and could also have caused my issues about reaching depth. I will turn my feet out more and see how that feels before I get knee sleeves. Squat shoes will prob help too.

Don't worry guys, won't buy a singlet. Had a weird thought about it looking badass but that's just being delusional from watching too many videos of chinese WLers and Klokov. I would look like a giant dork. Won't get a PL suit either. Don't like geared lifting at all.

Charly, you have been using double compression shorts IIRC?

6. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Because I thought the reason for the wide stance was having to stand over the bench. Your knees should track whichever way your toes are pointing, which in a wide stance would mean your feet would point out at 30 or 40 degrees, according to starting strength and my PT. Otherwise you're creating torque on the knee. I imagine that's the source of your knee issues then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're always pointed out if you look at people who lift very heavy weights

7. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I could see why having toes pointed straight or inward would create unnecessary stress on the knees. I squat kind of wind and always have my toes pointed out around 45 degrees.

8. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

My knees starting hurting doing feet straight too conceptionist. Back to toes out for me.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Well more like one pair of compression shorts and one pair of really thin compression underwear.

10. speedy4500

speedy4500 Well-Known Member

The GF decided about a month ago that she wanted to get into better shape. Not that she's in terrible shape to begin, but she's always done the typical girl workout of LISS cardio on a machine, then 300 different kinds of crunches and 5 lb dumb bell movements. I told her that her current workouts are a great way to prevent getting fat, but it really will not be effective at reaching the goals she wants.

So after rephrasing all the benefits of weight training into reasons that she'd find attractive, she acquiesced and I made her a super basic and simple 2-day weight training program with intervals and circuits on other days instead of LISS. She seems to be enjoying it, ("I feel like the workout goes by really quickly, and it's not boring!") and telling me all about how much weight she used and where she felt strong or weak. Of course, I have to assure her frequently that she wouldn't become bulky because 1) she doesn't take PED, 2) she isn't getting a test supplement, 3) she isn't eating the 3500+ calories to support such muscle growth, and 4) I don't want her to look like a man, so I will never let her get to that point.

Given the generally positive feedback, I'm hoping she'll stick with it for at least several months, long enough to see that it can work. But it isn't easy to convince women that they can be in great shape with weights and without treadmills or ellipticals, so it will be interesting to see if she can stay on track.

11. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I'm trying to convince all the girls I know to start squatting.

i find this picture helps.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Are there any techy hats or something that are good at absorping sweat? I'm fucking disgusting sweaty 15 minutes into the gym and am really hoping that I don't have to go the headband route.

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

Do-rag.

I just carry around a towel each workout to wipe face every so often.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Walmart and CVS are the two places I have found it (behind the counter). Other places I've tried don't carry it (Rite Aid, Walgreens, supermarket pharmacy).

15. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Just get clen brahs.

1 person likes this.
  16. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

I wanna be iham :-(

1 person likes this.
  17. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

Hehe, nice one Trini. Chicken Tuna does have one helluvan ass :nodding:

Just nailed the bench PR attempt I missed on wednesday, 120. Feels good : )
    Not paused yet though.... soon.

18. Transcendental

Transcendental Well-Known Member

Yup. If your toes point inward, attempted excess tibia IR leads to femur ER at the beginning of the lift, and in the off case your femur isn't rotating more, then your knee joint is being twisted. Too much ER and sometimes people with unknown structural issues can tear cartilage. Add weight and downward motion, goodbye friends. An often useful test is to check both your ER and IR. Many people lack IR and vice versa, or both. Some medium between toes out and toes ahead seems to be just fine, just remember to involve glute med, max, etc.

19. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

My Walmart had it on their.board of otc stuff, but said that said it wasn't available... unless something recently changed.

Thoughts on ecy stack? :D

20. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member