1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Unless one starts pinning .... :embar::foo:

"The day you started lifting is the day you became forever small"

1 person likes this.
  2. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Trying to calculate my maintenance cals using one of those BMR-based calculators.

If I lift 3 x a week and do 20 mins of HIIT on my off-days with one rest day, am I lightly active or moderately active?

3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

Pizzas here, double chicken was a good idea

4. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

i need a hammer strength flat bench and iso row in my life

5. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Skeen- Heard the choc mint was good also, but went with cookies and cream and split with a mate. Will try choc mint next time.
    Putting front squats back in my program properly and my core is weak as fuck, but also the improvement has been steady to my back squat posture (not falling forward), those face pulls suggested by Charly worked great too thanks :)

1 person likes this.
  6. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

Cookies and cream is alright

Only problem is once you mix it it looks like cum

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

When I was home from college I switched from vanilla whey to chocolate whey.

my little brother saw me drinking it and said "I see you're drinking shit instead of jizz now"

8. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

I hope you beat the shit out of him for that one. Fuckign little brothers

9. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

At 6'3, 180 pounds and by chosing 3 times per week lifting (not activity level) as the multiplier, my maintenance is calculated to 2600 calories.
    If I chose another calculator with "activity level" as the multiplier instead, lightly active gives me 2700 and moderately active 3000 calories.
    When I used a BodyBugg and lifted 3 times per week with no cardio, my overall maintenance was 2800 (3000 lifting days, 2650 rest days).

Now, I lift 4x a week and do interval cardio on 2 other days which I guess bumps me to 3000 or so. So I'd go with moderately active in your case unless your calculated calories seem way off when you compare it to my height and weight.

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Only real way is to weigh what you eat and watch your weight over like a month. My maintenance now is different from the last time I was this heavy.

11. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

Still got a couple days to ship our RHET gifts, ya?

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Yeah try and ship by the 5th.

I already sent mine out. Dat black friday shopping

13. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Mine's going to be late :hide:

14. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

First day week 3 smolov jr, it seems to be getting easier.
    Even had some power left to do a couple a decent DLs after my smolov squat & bench sets : )
    Looking forward to retest my 1RM next week.

15. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

RFL experiment update, if anyone cares: down 11 lbs in 15 days so far. Cut back volume, but haven't had to drop weight on the bar. Hoping I can go 2 1/2 more weeks (5 weeks total) and get 20 lbs. total weight loss.

16. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

i will admit globo gyms are pretty motivating to lift at - ran into a guy im distant acquantainces with. dude is thick, solid, tight and has done a few bodybuilding shows and is looking to place in provincials next year. definitely makes one want to work harder.

17. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

What is your guys squat programming like? I feel like mine is all kinds of not efficient and I could be doing a lot better.

So far what I do is 2 sets of 8 that for warmups, 1 set of 8 with a little heavier, then i go to my working sets of 5x5, then i lower the weight again, do one set of 8 again, then lower weight again and two sets of 8

18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

three work sets, repetition vary with what week I'm on.

I thought you did like bodybuilding shit? Why are you doing like 10 sets of squats. Get your variation on.

19. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I start all my workout days with a big compound lift

Chest day starts with flat bench

shoulder day with overhead press

leg day with squats

and back day with deadlifts.

i train all of these for strength, then use accessory lifts for hypertrophy

20. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

eg

45x10
    95x8
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    (more singles if I feel like it)
    then i back off to whatever rep scheme I'm going to work at for the day, 275x3's, 295x2's, 225x10, etc.

it looks to me that you are wasting a lot of either time and/or effort on warmups - if you are doing your last warmup set x 8, you're either cooking yourself for your work sets or its too light to be worthwhile. even if your work sets are for 5's, i really like the idea of hitting a heavier single beforehand simply to make your 5rm weights feel much lighter. post-activation potentiation i think its called. i dont pay too much attention to ***science*** but 275x10 after 375x1 was a breeze, whereas when im warming up the idea of even 275x10 is like a kick in the balls.

2 people like this.