1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gort

gort Well-Known Member

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I trained with that guy IRL. Was def Knucks.

and he hates charly

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Been doing a lot of reading, and I think when I recover from this cold i'm going to try squatting high bar. Do you guys find it is easier to go ATG with high bar because that's what it seems like based on a lot of literature.

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

Don't mind me, just 30% femur.

3 people like this.
  5. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Easier than what? Easier to hit ATG high bar than low bar (is this even possible? I don't have the flexibility for it...). Easier than parallel high bar, no.

6. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I've read a lot on this subject, since I have had massive problems with back squatting, up to the point of almost injuring myself and having to work around them for 6 months.
    Wether you should go high bar or low bar depends on a few different factors, but mostly just preference (which you're most comfortable with) and the length of you're femurs.

I am tall with long femurs and have good hip abduction so I do a lot better with low bar and a wider stance, pushing my knees way out to the sides.

The shorter your femurs and the more you can push out your knees to the sides, the shorter the ROM and generally easier it will be for you to hit depth. Your torso will also be more upright which is a plus.
    If you're under 6" and have shorter femurs, and don't mind pushing a bit less weight (low bar generally makes you squat more), high bar could be the way to go. Most BBers go with high bar since that tends to stimulate the quads more, although this very debated.

If you don't want to switch to high bar, you can still go low bar for your back squats and do front squats on another day. This is what I do since I need to bring my quad and ab strength up.

Btw, it's anatomically impossible to go true ATG with a low bar position, unless you let your knees travel waaaay forward or use a super wide stance. If you want to go ATG, I would recommend high bar.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Long torso and short femurs ftw!!!! :slayer:

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Just wondering what everyone's femur ratio is from that article. Mines fuckin .29, shit sucks for someone 5'7"

9. conceptionist

Not exactly sure where to start measuring from on the hip, but mine seems to be around 0.28

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

LAST DAY TO PM ME YOUR ADDRESS FOR THE SECRET SANTA. INFO IN MY SIGNATURE

11. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

is this really debatable?

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

in other news, i read this article on nyt about telling yourself that your workout feels good to make it less tough. I ended up repeating "feeling good, feeling light" to myself over and over and had a great run

13. conceptionist

Hmmm.... just looked up the study I had in mind.
    It actually compared stance width, not bar placement. The conclusion was that a wider stance recruit more muscles with pretty much equal quad stress as a narrow stance.

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/05/08/stance-width-squats/

This might be stretching it, but you could say that the same applies to low vs high bar since low bar is often with wide stance and high bar medium-narrow stance.

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

i bet starrett loves rybakou

16. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

First 400 deadlift :slayer:

Used straps since forearm is still jacked up. Still, 400 was nice considering I haven't deadlifted anything over 2 plates in weeks.

5 people like this.
  17. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

^Congrats... but shoulda made it 405! Kidding, still awesome.

On a deload week, which feels fanfuckintastic... I think my upper body is getting bigger from all the accessory work I'm doing and I'm really pushing chinups HARD. Hopefully I'll be able to fly soon.

18. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Jerked 110kgx2 today, feels good man. Also close grip benched 90x2.

Have an interview at my top choice investment bank (boutique, focuses on M&A and restructuring) how to prepare?

19. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

i know nothing about IB, but i remember a friend of mine telling me one the questions was the monty hall problem. it's a simple problem that throws a lot of people off.