1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

3. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Graduated college early and got a good paying job in a region of the country that isn't that expensive.

Oh... I forgot the most important part. My parents paid for my college so I could come out with almost no debt. I owe it to them really.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

i would not pull in lifting shoes if I were you. You already have a long ass pull, even for doing it sumo and you're spilled forward and not pulling it back as a result.

5. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Youre in IT right?

6. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I agree. Sometimes I get lazy about taking off my shoes and don't feel like changing to other shoes, but every time I wear them for deadlift, bad things happen.

Nope.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I hear ya, glad I'm done squatting and benching on the same day. Put on chucks to warm up, put on squat shoes to bench, take off squat shoes to put on rheband, put back on squat shoes.

Edit: VLSI there's some dude in my gym that I thought was you for the first few days, thought you were visiting in Durham or something and fuckin with me. Looks exactly like you and lifts nearly the same #s with the same form.

8. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

Call myself a novice/intermediate. But everything is relative. Anyone close to a 950lb total?

Squat: 355lbs
    DL (sumo): 365lbs
    Bench: 235lbs

1 person likes this.
  9. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Has anyone read the 5/3/1 book? Is it worth getting?

10. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

PM me your email. Think I have the e-book buried in my inbox somewhere.

Anyone else is welcome to hit me up as well.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bush

Bush Well-Known Member

Noob question alert. How wide should a beginner bench in order to get the most out of the movement?
    I've been benching with my middle finger on the inner most ring. Have stayed at 135 for weeks now. Overhead press has seen more progress than my bench. Thoughts?

12. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I found when I widened my grip to ring finger on outer rings the amount I could put up improved dramatically.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  14. KingJulien

I extend my thumbs (like a thumbs-up) and put the tip of them on the inner knurl, and then close the grip. Makes it a few inches wider than shoulder width.

Mark that's a wide-grip bench, you can put up more weight but it has a shorter ROM.

15. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Do you mean on the smooth rather than inner knurl? Because otherwise that's a super narrow grip. I think keeping any finger on the rings is fine, just figure out what's comfortable for you. I'm currently doing pinky on the ring.

16. KingJulien

Yeah, so my thumbs are ~3 inches away from it when my grip is closed. Is it? I'll try a wider grip then maybe.

17. Bush

Bush Well-Known Member

I pinch my shoulder blades and bring them down to get a good arc. Get leg drive going then press with elbows in line with wrists. Don't have videos but I think my form is solid.
    Will warm up a slightly wider grip tmmrw and see how that goes. I do feel my triceps have gotten significantly stronger benching with this grip ( and doing a narrow grip OHP)

On another note, slightly behind all the other novices ITT. 5rms at 215 190 135.

Edit:

believe this is the bar my gym has on the benches. Inner most ring on this bar

[​IMG]

18. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's pretty narrow (and again, if you really meant inner knurl, crazy narrow). My close grip bench is index at the very start of the knurl. For normal bench, I was doing middle finger on the rings, but brought it in because I was getting a bit of pain along the interface of my delt/pec on the outer chest.

@Bush the second ring on that bar you show is the normal "ring" we are talking about.

19. Bush

Bush Well-Known Member

Yeah, compared the dimensions of the two bars and looked up what the "norm" is for grip width. Damn, I've been benching narrow as hell this whole time. brb will report bench press pr tmmrw

20. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Enjoy. Your bench is about to shoot way up :)