1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

I think the benefits are usually supposed to be lack of injury, not efficiency. Still nice to see someone actually studying it.

1 person likes this.
  2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  3. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Sumo Deadlift:
    My hips tend to tuck under when the weight is heavy and I get fatigued. On the work sets, the first two reps are usually fine but then the butt will tuck under and by the last rep my upper and middle back might round too. I have no problem pulling the weight (or 20-30 pounds more) with some rounding, but I really struggle with a straight back and shoulder over (not in front) of the bar. I've noticed my ass tends to rise before the chest as well when I initiate the pull.

I've tried to take the weights down and building it up again with better form, but I start to round again at the same weights (which is about 20 pounds from my 5RM). It's not a mobility issue since I can back squat to parallel and front squat ATG with good form. My conventional DL is fine as well with no back rounding at all. Any suggestions for correcting it?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

What the fuuuck? How is 5 guys anymore than $5? Fuck that place!

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

I'm amazed I was able to float a paper idea about simulating the results of two weightclasses in the upcoming WWC using probit modeling and stochastic processes. I expect my presentation to be attended by maybe 1 person max

6. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

Haha my body is fuckin' thrashed today. Feels good to be this sore though. It's been awhile since I've had to hobble around. My appetite and capacity for food is finally also start to get back where it was. Hopefully, I can awake from this dreamer bulk massive as fuck.

EDIT:

I got a few co-workers doing "cleanses"... I swear it's like the ultimate excuse to starve yourself. Starve yourself without feeling the guilt because it's a "cleanse"

7. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Please provide some deets on your model.

8. speedy4500

speedy4500 Well-Known Member

Adding to list of exercises that suck donkey cock: breathing paused front squats. It feels like with every breath, the weight increases another 10kg. By the time I count 5-mississippi out loud it seems like I'm doing a 1RM.

I'd attend. Where is this thing happening? I wonder if I can get my Grad Student Association to pay for it .....

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Plate raises might be my new favorite accessory exercise.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

One of the strongest people ever swears by that lift, breathing paused back squats.

11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

SQUAT PR

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10 people like this.
  12. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

Fuckin beast man. Good job

Edit: elaborate on plate raises please

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

^^ beast mode. The 550lbs looked rough so I was impressed at how smooth 600lbs went. May I ask why you stack the risers behind you on squats? When your ass touches them that means you've hit depth?

Seeking advice on what exercises I should perform to help me with squats. I'm 6'1" and hit ATG squats. At 90% 1RM, I get the elasticity out of hole but grind right at the parallel, just above parallel, point. Once I get through this 4-6" grind I power the weight up with relative ease.

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Shit man. 600lbs. Thats inspirational

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

That's one hell of a PR. Whats your opener? Seriously though that's an amazing squat, one of the best I've seen.

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

17. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

Ive always wondered what the point of the spotter is in squats

Why not just drop the bar on the pins assuming youve set them at a correct height?

18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

very common sticking point due to the mechanics of the squat

19. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I have the same thing. I find that focusing on engaging my glutes really helps me grind through that bit.

With that, I'm really pleased with my high bar squat form now. Looks so much better than even just a couple weeks ago. I did deload the weight about 20% to achieve this (and a lot more depth), but it was definitely worth it :)

20. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Honestly I love and appreciate all the great discussion we have in this thread, but save for maybe Charly and TK we never see if what were doing has any end result. I'm over being disappointed that my squat may not be perfectly parallel, or that I round a lil bit when I deadlift, etc, etc #fitnesscirclejerk. If what you are doing works for you, that is all that matters. [​IMG]