1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

My liquor cabinet now has more supplements in it than liquor.

1 person likes this.
  2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

TKJTG since you gonna be a ortho whats your view on NSAIDs use for gym bros? I usually don't take them unless I am in extreme pain but sometimes I wonder when I tweak stuff If I should incorporate 3-4 days of NSAIDs to keep inflammation down. Like last night I woke up with unbearable arm pain, scale of 1-10 it was an 11, took 325mg of Aspirin and good lord did I feel like 1,000$$ went right back to sleep in blissfully.

Dude in my gym takes 2 aspirin before every work out. My old olympic lifting coach would take aspirin pre and post workout. I could see it being a problem by masking pain from bad mechanics that needs to be addressed and I've read studies that it actually leaves you more inflamed than not taking it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

last I read nsaids ate up ur gainzz

4. Coldsnap

I heard dat too. I want to keep my gainz. This is my last week of high volume squats so the pain should be gone. Interesting enough two other guys who are competing with me arms are hurting from squats, just it's just a result of high volume squatting getting ready for a meet.

5. Coldsnap

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

having been on about sixfold the dosage CS mentioned (ibuprofen) for a good 4 weeks i can definitely say they mess with your training a lot. fucking super exhausted all the time.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

There's no conclusion out there on NSAIDs and muscle growth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16672835
    ^This is the study that frequently gets quoted when it comes to this issue. My first thoughts are -- 1. these are in mice, not humans, and 2. the study was over 2 weeks, and 3. the equivalent doses for a human would be very high. Not sure how applicable it is to us. There's some bench-based evidence that it might interfere with protein synthesis. But, this isn't a slamdunk on NSAIDs. In fact, there's a couple studies out there that suggest the opposite effect:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23220477

^In this one, grandpas made all kindzzzzz of gains. This obviously has some limitations being in older adults rather than athletes.

In practice, we frequently prescribe NSAIDs for musculoskeletal pain and nobody seems to be worried about the potential effects on muscle growth.

As with every medicine, take them in moderation. Taking them once in a while for bad pain is obviously fine(as was in your situation). It's the folks who take them daily for DOMS who might run into trouble. I certainly wouldn't ban NSAIDs from my medicine cabinet.

8. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Just took 800mg ibuprofen. WHAT DO?

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  10. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Also FYI no longer going ortho route. Going for Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation instead with a possible Sports Medicine fellowship. :slayer:

11. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Lol, finally overweight :) Won't be making it to obesity level on this bulk, but there's always next year.

Didn't get to workout this morning. Ate a bad burrito or something last night and threw it all back up. My gains :(

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. Coldsnap

NSAIDS stuff sounds reasonable.

Welcome to the fat club VLSI

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just in case this hasn't been seen yet.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

ha this guy i'm friends with from a mud run works out at brick ny

15. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

What the fuck?! Why the hell won't you teach them to do a proper pull-up on their own before adding weight? I swear this really grinds my gears...

16. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

If people want to pay $300 a month to get help injuring themselves, I say good for them.

17. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Well the idea is probably that it helps the bottom of the lift so you get a bit of a "push" to start, weighted or no.

I find the bottom part of pullups to be the hardest so it makes sense.

18. ibringdoom98

ibringdoom98 Well-Known Member

I have bands that I've used to help me on the way to doing strict body weight pullups, but I ditched them after I could do them on my own. Three bands at once is pretty silly, though.

19. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm the opposite, I have no problem at all getting out of the bottom from a dead hang, but when I start to get fatigued getting the last inch or two is the bottleneck.

20. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Related: What's better for those who can't do dead hang pullups yet? Band assisted dead hang pullups from lockout, or non-assisted pullups with a bounce at the bottom (no lockout)? Assuming the latter, but not sure since technically the bounce is cutting off the very bottom of the ROM.