1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Also where the fuck are you all watching these Knucks vids?

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

So I used to be really big into the whole mind-muscle connection thing....that I need to feel and be aware of a muscle contracting to get the maximum benefit. I still believe it to some extent, but realized I may have been misapplying it to my compound lifts. Now rather than benching and thinking, "Okay, I need to get a good stretch of my pecs, delts, and triceps", I've focused just on putting weight on the bar and maximizing the poundage. Basically, I stopped thinking about bench press as a chest exercise and instead thought of it as a method of moving weight around and as a result, have gotten a bigger bench and a bigger chest.

Cliffs: I stopped benching to get a bigger chest and instead started benching to get a bigger bench.

In addition, I've dropped the reps and upped the poundage on my dumbbell flyes. While before I was doing sets of 10-12, I dropped it down to the 4-8 range and have had awesome results. I consider dumbbell flyes to be my primary chest movement now and really attribute most of my growth to focusing on them.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

He posts them on facebook.

4. Towers

Towers Well-Known Member

Are the discount belts on rogue fitness totally crap? I've always gone beltless but doc says i should start wearing one near my maxes to give my abs something to push against.

was looking at the fractional plates anyways so i may as well pick up a belt if they arent garbage.

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

But how do you know your glutes are firing?

6. Coldsnap

Interesting tkjtg.

7. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I also feel that flyes are the best chest builders, how do you feel about the pec deck for accessory work?

Interesting about neglecting mind muscle connection for bench and just trying to move weight.

8. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Well-Known Member

9. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

I don't know much about belts, but one of my best friends got an Inzer belt and he's very happy with it. I saw it in person and it's beefy as fuck

10. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Oh, ok. Because it sounded like you were hitting 240 for 10. What is your actual squat?

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

^Interested in Coldsnap's squat too; well done dude! 80lbs in 8 weeks is insane![​IMG]
    Lu missed his 211 Clean and Jerk WR attempt at nationals..... [​IMG]

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

well he has plenty of experience missing 211 so its cool

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

I don't like them nearly as much, and here's why:

With dumbbell flyes I'm able to set up exactly the same way as I do for bench. I can get a solid base on the ground, fire glutes and quads, have a reasonable arch in my back, and really crank the weight. With pec dec you can kinda do the same thing, but not nearly as well. The end result is a heavier fly and better carry-over to bench press.

Occasionally I end my work-out with a single heavy drop-set on pec-deck, but I doubt it does much more than give a bit of a pump.

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

If you think db flies have a better carry over than pec decks to bench because of technique or form, you are incorrect.

15. Coldsnap

Not really sure. Haven't peaked yet for the meet and been doing reps of 5-10. Somewhere in the mid 300s. I'll know better once I start walking out some heavier weights.

16. mrchariybrown

How close are you to your meet?

17. Coldsnap

9 weeks. 8 Solid weeks of training then. Not really sure how I plan to peak of if I'm going to. I might just keep the worksets going and just open with whatever I did for 3 x 5 the previous week in all lifts then just have some fun from there.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  18. mrchariybrown

Train how you want for the next 3 weeks.

Then at 6 weeks out start a bit of an overload cycle..

Week 6 - 2x4
    Week 5 - 2x3
    Week 4 - 2x2
    Week 3 - 2x1 (opener)
    Week 2 - 1x1 (second attempt number)
    Week 1 - rest

19. Coldsnap

Gotcha, makes sense to me.

20. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Speaking from my own personal experience, I've gotten better carry over from flyes. Not trying to make broad generalizations.