1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

for sure. i should have mentioned that i personally do nothing to the programming until things grind to a halt, at which point i will adjust the volume/intensity in routine i'm doing. the only reason i said jump on spbr sooner rather than later is that it may be tricky to adjust to a new way of doing things in a deficit.

:foo: :foo: :foo:

congrats man, that's a great feel. i have grizzly straps i like but i dont think it matters much

i think you should try to gain muscle mass. im guessing your stroke is efficient enough for you to be concerned about sprint times, and while lower bodyfat is a nice-to-have, i think getting stronger/bigger now and then leaning out later will serve you well in the long run. keep in mind i have no performance goals when it comes to swimming, only lifting, and i've had more experience with learn-to-swim and triathlon-style efficiency instruction than sprints.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Risto leather straps are the best I've seen around, ironmind has good straps too.

the leather ones take like a year to break in and be comfortable though

3. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I use the Grizzly ones. Cheap at $10-15 and break in nicely to get buttery soft.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Chalk does more than you'd expect.

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  6. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Well-Known Member

QFT... chalk makes a huge difference for me. So much so that I used it at the gym even though it's against their "rules". No one ever gave me shit because no one at that shitty gym was DLing anything above 3 plates... ever.

7. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Can't use chalk in my gym either, but I do anyway. I just chalk up with my hands inside a ziploc bag to minimize mess, and I wipe the bar down when I'm done. I've also seen people recommend an "eco ball" as a chalk alternative.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

I've lifted with this guy. He is actually stupid fucking strong, but does not look it. He just looks like a regular guy that's never been to the gym, but can pull well over 700. I think he's the top 220 lifter right now.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Nope.. that would be someone by the name of Dan motherfucking Green.

1 person likes this.
  10. Coldsnap

Naw, he's stronger than Dan Green. Haha, jk. I need to lurk him more than, got his weight class messed up. Or I'm sure you can look him up on the membership thing.

11. Coldsnap

Fuckin a Donny Shankle does a weightlifting class every Monday from 7:30-8:30 like 2 hours away. I'd go there and pretend to be an olympic lifter just to hear the shit that guy says.

12. Coldsnap

He's listed as top in tested federation

"220 1,714 Greg Nuckols USA 08/11/12 %100"

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

Meh, being top of your own fed means very little depending on which fed you're in since some have a smaller talent pool.

But he is the #8 242 wrapped CURRENT lifter in the U.S. right now :nodding:

14. Coldsnap

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

Wow just looked up WI stats, my buddy at my same weight raw in men's open squatted only about 80 lbs more than I'm currently squatting for reps. That's weird. He totaled over 1000 though.

Oh here's a question about deadlifting that might help me. SPBR recommends 2-3 sets of 5. Yet 5x5 recommends 1 set. I currently do 2 sets and grip is an issue halfway through the second set. Should I just go down to 1 set?

16. dreamz

dreamz Well-Known Member

thanks. i train free and fly, getting somewhat into im. i guess that i need to eat more and do some weight training. i definitely do not want to get bulky, and frankly, i'm not that interested in weights; i'd rather swim.

17. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

For chalk I use sidewalk chalk and basically color my hands with it. Keeps the mess down and comes in stylish colors. :)

18. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I strapped up when I made the switch over from 5X5 to IASPBR.

19. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

the fuck are you lifting without chalk for anyways

that's just dumb

20. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Good stuff

I recently started doing paused squats on my lower hyper days. I will try this breathing stuff too. I think my torso is pretty solid though but I guess it can't hurt.