1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

That's what I meant to say, I got autocorrected

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Mg of sodium? Lol.

3. Cool The Kid

Volume

Just put 1-2 extra days between each workout, everything else stays the same

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Wat, no. I know next to nothing about cutting but I know that you increase volume while cutting. If you're not sore the next day than you lost muscle. Drop weights, add volume.

5. Cool The Kid

Your capacity to recover in a cut is diminished, meaning you need to take more time between workouts (less volume). And with the glycogen out of your muscles, maintaining intensity is all you have to retain strength (keep the weights x reps the same).

1 person likes this.
  6. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I reduce volume so that I can try to maintain the same weights I was using when I was bulking. If I increased my volume i wouldnt be able to use any weight.

1 person likes this.
  7. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Reduce volume on a day-to-day basis (e.g. go from heavy squats 2x a week to once) or reduce volume in sets across every workout (go from 3 work sets to 1 or 2)?

8. Van Veen

My point is I am increasing my lifts right now without an aggressive calorie surplus and not gaining weight. So why switch programming when the recomp is working?

EDIT: Fixed my confusing sentence.

9. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I dropped from 5 to 3 sets on my compounds and cut some of the assistance movements.

10. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

lol wtf? I'm never sure when you're trolling. Good luck on your muscle and strength-loss goals of 2013.

11. Coldsnap

Wow. No wonder you bulkers / cutters spin your wheels for years. Good luck cutting on a 3 x 5.

12. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Because the most important factor in getting shredded is how much volume you're doing, not your caloric surplus and when you're already eating too little to be able to recover you should increase your volume even more.

13. Coldsnap

All of a sudden everything here makes sense now.

Yet again. I saw his program through this cut, volume was threw the roof. It was a bunch of light weights for a ton of reps. Same people that write for Dan Green and a ton of other people with higher LBM than most people weigh here. But what do I know, I did a cut for like 3 weeks and said fuck it.

[​IMG]

14. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I suppose you are 195lb with abs at about knucks height, so like him in that photo, but with a bit more mass so we should take your word on it.

15. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

if you are then that's good. in the long term, i dont think you will be able to maintain that rate of progress if your goal is to cut. i suggested spbr since it is a simple lower volume routine that may make it easier to maintain strength as calories drop. squatting 3x/week sucks bad enough when you're eating a lot.

16. Van Veen

Thanks, I was just looking for your reason. I'm not the type of person who likes to change my program without a good reason. I am at the point in SS where I am adding a light squat day, so progressing 10 lbs a week instead of 15. I've never missed a squat rep until a few workouts ago, and I think that was just a bad week for me overall since all my lifts sucked. I think I am going to ride out SS/LP through September (I have some stuff going on right now and I don't want to drastically alter my diet) and reassess at that point. But I know that recomp (weight maintenance) alone isn't going to get me to where I want to be in January.

17. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Because you definitely "spin your wheels" the least of all of us

1 person likes this.
  18. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

So apparently failing at squatting for the last week means all those lost lbs from your squat go to your deadlift!
    Deadlift went up by 5kgs and pulled my last PR for a set of 4!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. dreamz

dreamz Well-Known Member

would you recommend bulking or cutting for a swimmer? i don't have much mass, and while i'd like to reduce my body fat percentage, my first goal is to improve my sprint times.

20. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Well-Known Member

Wow, just basically got approved to be on the board of a non-profit I've been volunteering with for only 1-2 months. I thought it'd take like a year haha. Suppose I should start looking for another org to volunteer with, maybe I can get on two boards by the time I apply to b-school. :slayer:

Taking GMAT at beginning of October, too. Then hiring an admissions consultant and can start the whole school review process. Might take one or two more grad courses to solidify my alternative transcript, but definitely not doing CFA L2 next year.

Stopped biting my nails. Seriously downsizing the amount of stuff I own. In a really solid place financially. Eating super healthy, hitting the gym regularly and all my lifts are going up. Life is going pretty fucking good right now.

BTW anyone wanna rec some straps for deadlifting? I'm gonna try chalk but I don't think it's gonna work out too well.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.